News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

All lives matter?

Started by pr126, August 14, 2016, 01:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: pr126 on August 14, 2016, 03:42:47 AM
TBH, I posted this for our resident SJW snowflake.

Trigger Warning! Trigger Warning!
Careful, buddy. You're gonna get our snowflake all heated and he's gonna melt! Lol

Sent from your mom.

Duncle

Whatever the intentions of BLM, its main effect in the current political situation has been to strengthen Trump and the far right. Its essentially a white supremacist's wet dream- an incredibly powerful tool for recruiting disadvantaged whites, of whom there are a lot.

I don't like identity politics at all anyway, but regardless of what you think of the underlying issues, in terms of political impact BLM is a train wreck.

PickelledEggs

And yes, when empathy is more important than reason, it is a bad thing. A person can be both empathetic and reasonable, but some people let their empathy lead them blindly

Sent from your mom.

pr126

SJW snowflakes.
You can't argue with them. Just ridicule them.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Shiranu on August 14, 2016, 03:38:40 AM
That... is a bad thing?

Empathy has done the world far more good than pure reason ever has.

Empathy and reason are not dichotomous, both are essential, but in my experience as a mental health counselor reason is more effective for solving problems. For example, when helping someone with symptoms of depression I can empathize with that person, provide unconditional positive regard and make them feel a little better but what is more effective is teaching that person CBT techniques, which are based on reason, reality testing and treating thoughts, emotions and behavior in an objective manner. Similarly I can empathize with people who experience racial inequality but reason is going to identify the barriers to inequality and formulate effective strategies. When combating racial inequality I find it less effective to focus on identity and racial differences than to recognize commonalities, such as we are scientifically all one race, members of the same society, committed to ideals of individual liberty, and that treating one another differently because of skin pigmentation irrational. A person's behavior is important, not their identity. The goal should be to have all Americans identify, through empathy, the common humanity in each individual and commit to treating everyone similarly with fairness and respect under rule of law, laws based on reason.

FaithIsFilth

"All lives matter" is dumb as shit, but of course it shouldn't get anyone in trouble. "Black lives matter" is saying that all lives should matter, but right now they don't. All lives matter is spat out by people who seem to not understand what was meant by "black lives matter". Yes, plenty of the BLM people are anti-white racists, but the phrase black lives matter was never about saying that only blacks matter. Are people justified in having problems with the BLM movement? Sure they are. They only shoot themselves in the foot when they make people like Mike Brown the face of their movement and when many of them refuse to have white allies, but that's why it's so easy to divide and conquer the people. If blacks will literally support a guy like OJ Simpson, and burn down the city for a guy who assaulted police and put multiple people's lives at risk, then it wasn't going to be too hard to make BLM look bad, but that doesn't change the reality that they do have a point when they talk about what blacks have to deal with when it comes to the police.

Nonsensei

If you watched that first story about the girl tweeting #Alllivesmatter, and your first reaction was not to be revolted by what was being done to her, then you are a far worse enemy to this nation than any outside terrorist could ever be.

Why? Because as a citizen you could actually band together and get things changed the way a terrorist never could. Terrible, horrifying things that stand in direct opposition to the concept of a free society. That girl is being subjected to trial by the thought police, and the fact that she cant end up in jail is no consolation at all. They're doing everything they can to her short of it. If they could get away with executing her I'm honestly am not entirely sure if they would pass on the option.

Just another example of someone losing everything for having the wrong opinion, in this country where the ability to express your opinion is supposedly cherished. SJW's are a virulent cancer.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Blackleaf

The Black Lives Matter movement has inspired too much violence. While many proponents of it mean well, that doesn't mean we should ignore the fruits of their labor. What have they accomplished so far? Businesses robbed and burned to the ground, entire cities thrown into chaos as police try to get them back in order, innocent police officers shot.

"They do not represent us," they claim, but I call bullshit. From the very start, this is exactly what the movement was about. From Trayvon Martin's father inciting a mob to violence, to crowds of people chanting for the deaths of police officers.

I'm sure that what the more rational of supporters say is worth listening to, but I cannot support a group that very clearly is a leech on our society. If they really believe that all lives matter and just want to be treated fairly, they should start acting like it. Once they stop being so hypocritical, then maybe I can get behind them.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

PickelledEggs

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on August 14, 2016, 09:11:58 AM
"All lives matter" is dumb as shit, but of course it shouldn't get anyone in trouble. "Black lives matter" is saying that all lives should matter, but right now they don't. All lives matter is spat out by people who seem to not understand what was meant by "black lives matter". Yes, plenty of the BLM people are anti-white racists, but the phrase black lives matter was never about saying that only blacks matter. Are people justified in having problems with the BLM movement? Sure they are. They only shoot themselves in the foot when they make people like Mike Brown the face of their movement and when many of them refuse to have white allies, but that's why it's so easy to divide and conquer the people. If blacks will literally support a guy like OJ Simpson, and burn down the city for a guy who assaulted police and put multiple people's lives at risk, then it wasn't going to be too hard to make BLM look bad, but that doesn't change the reality that they do have a point when they talk about what blacks have to deal with when it comes to the police.
The fact that people have to continually reinforce that "black lives matter" does not mean black lives matter the most, or that only black lives matter, is proof enough that the slogan is poor communication of the goal.

Similarly with art, or a joke, if you have to keep explaining to people what you meant and the work it'self doesn't do it's job on it's own, you did a bad job writing the joke or painting the picture. The people that came up with "black lives matter" did a bad job in coming up with a slogan. Simple as that.

PickelledEggs

Here is a better alternative.
"black lives too"

It automatically suggests there are other people. Its also is less letters and can fit more places.

PickelledEggs

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 14, 2016, 11:34:11 AM
The fact that people have to continually reinforce that "black lives matter" does not mean black lives matter the most, or that only black lives matter, is proof enough that the slogan is poor communication of the goal.

Similarly with art, or a joke, if you have to keep explaining to people what you meant and the work it'self doesn't do it's job on it's own, you did a bad job writing the joke or painting the picture. The people that came up with "black lives matter" did a bad job in coming up with a slogan. Simple as that.
I personally think "black lives matter" is very clear, and it's a fine name/ message that most people understand just fine. Where do I think the "All lives matter" phrase came from? I think it was a reaction to there being so much anti-white racism among people in the BLM movement. A lot of them were saying "fuck all white people", so that's where I think "all lives matter" came from.

You don't necessarily have to support BLM the group to support the sentiment that, yes, black lives should matter. No matter what fucked up stuff the people in the group do or say, blacks have a legitimate reason to be angry. Some are a bit extreme and want, right now, for the average black person to be just as unlikely to be shot and killed by police as the average white person, but at this moment in time, that's just not being reasonable or realistic. Blacks on average are more likely than whites on average to kill a police officer, so obviously blacks are going to be more likely to be shot by police. Still, some of them are shot in the back running away, and you have your Eric Garner type situations. No black person should have their record ruined over marijuana, which can prevent them from getting work. The government doesn't really give a shit about blacks and won't fix the schools. The police usually get away without suffering much in terms of consequences when they do fucked up shit, so yeah, blacks have plenty to justifiably be upset about.

Cocoa Beware

These BLM guys would have been infinitely better served, and they would have shown admirable integrity, by first acknowledging it matters just as much when a black person takes a life of another black person, and not just when a cop or white person does it.

That is unless it meant their desire for a pound of flesh would have resulted in BLM arbitrary murdering black people, which I'm not sure I could put past them, given how incredibly stupid, hypocritical and destructive their behaviour has been to date.

Shiranu

QuoteThese BLM guys would have been infinitely better served by first acknowledging it matters just as much when a black person takes a life of another black person, and not just when a cop or white person does it.

...I just don't even anymore.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

FYI, regarding the story in the video of the University of Houston student who was suspended and required to go to diversity training, she has taken a voluntary leave of absence from the student government organization even though all sanctions were dropped. When I watched the video I mistakenly understood that she was being suspended from school for posting "Forget #BlackLivesMatter, #AllLivesMatter" on Facebook. I researched the story because I thought it couldn't possibly be accurate and learned she was suspended from the student government organization and the sanctions had nothing to do with her status as a student.

http://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2016/08/08/163378/with-sanctions-removed-uh-student-leader-takes-voluntary-leave-of-absence-from-office-for-forget-blacklivesmatter-post/