News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

All lives matter?

Started by pr126, August 14, 2016, 01:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

But.... but... By saying you care about all lives, it means you don't care about black lives... in some way.... because black people... and slavery.... and don't pay attention to black on black crime and how that's the biggest cause of black people's deaths.... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're racist for not blindly supporting my agenda!!!! *sarcasm*
:rolleyes:

Shiranu

QuoteImagine that you’re sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don’t get any. So you say “I should get my fair share.” And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, “everyone should get their fair share.” Now, that’s a wonderful sentiment â€" indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad’s smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn’t solve the problem that you still haven’t gotten any!
The problem is that the statement “I should get my fair share” had an implicit “too” at the end: “I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else.” But your dad’s response treated your statement as though you meant “only I should get my fair share”, which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that “everyone should get their fair share,” while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on August 14, 2016, 02:19:09 AM

That meme perfectly communicates why the black lives matter movement has so much momentum. They actually think that it means "ignore people that need help". It's a misrepresentation of what people saying all lives matter are saying. and that is putting it lightly.

Shiranu

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 14, 2016, 02:31:11 AM
That meme perfectly communicates why the black lives matter movement has so much momentum. They actually think that it means "ignore people that need help". It's a misrepresentation of what people saying all lives matter are saying. and that is putting it lightly.

One coin, two faces.

Perhaps thats how you see the "ALM" response, but it's rarely what people ever seem to mean, at least when responding to BLM. There are not people marching with "ALM" attire and doing civil service. Before "BLM", no one ever chanted "ALM". No one ever stopped you in the middle of a sentence to say, "Woah, woah, woah... it's cool you care about this cause, but remember... ALL causes matter!".

That was never a thing, and when people say "All Lives Matter" it's the exact same two-faced statement as "Pro-Gun" or "Pro-Life"... you're not pro-gun, you're anti-regulation... you're not pro-life, you're anti-abortion... and your not pro-all-lives, your anti-"BLM".

Edit: Also, holy fuck having to type BLM and ALM is obnoxious... I wish they had more than one abbreviation.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

No. Blue lives matter is the other side of the black lives matter coin. All lives matter is a recognition that that black lives matter/blue lives matter is a bunch of duality, non-inclusive bullshit.

Shiranu

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 14, 2016, 02:45:19 AM
No. Blue lives matter is the other side of the black lives matter coin. All lives matter is a recognition that that black lives matter/blue lives matter is a bunch of duality, non-inclusive bullshit.

https://thinkprogress.org/obama-explains-the-problem-with-all-lives-matter-780912d54888#.8gft16kk9

Quote“I think the reason that the organizers used the phrase “black lives matter” was not because they were suggesting nobody else’s lives matter,” he said. “What they were suggesting was, there is a specific problem that is happening in the African-American community that’s not happening in other communities. And that is a legitimate issue that we’ve got to address.”
But the meaning of the phrase has been perverted by media pundits and some members of law enforcement, who argue that it is inflammatory rhetoric. The phrases “all lives matter” and “blue lives matter” sprang up in direct response to activists who have mobilized against police brutality and attacks on black lives.
“It started being lifted up as ‘these folks are opposed to police, and they’re opposed to cops, and all lives matter.’ So the notion was somehow saying black lives matter was reverse racism, or suggesting other people’s lives didn’t matter or police officers’ lives didn’t matter,” he said.
Obama then pointed out that saying “black lives matter” is not about reducing the importance of other groups.
“I think everybody understands all lives matter. Everybody wants strong, effective law enforcement. Everybody wants their kids to be safe when they’re walking to school. Nobody wants to see police officers, who are doing their jobs fairly, hurt,” he continued.

Frankly, I am more open to agreeing with Obama (A - Because he agrees with me in a more logical way, B - because he is African American, the president and just man well regarded for his intelligence) than some random white person on the internet who badmouths basically any movement. That, and the ALM spokesmen (edit: I should say cheerleaders, since ALM is not an actual movement) tend to disagree with you...

But all that aside, again if you are using ALM as a truly inclusive phrase, more power to you... but your remarks about BLM (both of them) show that you really don't understand the situation at all and are chipping on a subject you think is stupid and don't care to learn about. You use ALM as a response to Black Lives Matter, and I have seen you time and time and time again attack it for issues it does not have, or because you simply do not understand what it is about.

PickelledEggs

Does black lives matter include the cops murdered by the people involved in their movement? Or the white people that get killed by black gang members after getting lost while driving and ending up in the wrong neighborhood? No? Ok, then I guess all lives matter, it is

Sent from your mom.

Shiranu

QuoteDoes black lives matter include the cops murdered by the people involved in their movement?

Yeah, I would say so, since the BLM movement as a whole sent it's support to the cops injured in some protests and the cops killed in Dallas instead of saying, "Haha, serves you right!".

QuoteOr the white people that get killed by black gang members after getting lost while driving and ending up in the wrong neighborhood?

Irrelevant to their movement. Does the local food bank provide for starving kids in Africa? No? Well no need to support them then! Did the civil right's movement include improving living conditions for low-income whites? No? Well no need to support it then! Did the Women's suffrage movement include... I think you get the point... I hope...

QuoteOk, then I guess all lives matter, it is.

So you're saying it's not a response to BLM, then say you support ALM because of perceived" flaws of BLM and your own ignorance of what movements are about.

PickelledEggs

We're not talking about Africa. We're talking about our own local neighborhoods in the here and now. Not black lives when they couldn't drink from the same water fountains.  Not women when they couldn't vote.
If black lives matter only focuses on one demographic, it automatically starts the ideology that black lives are more important than everyone else.

All lives matter is all-inclusive. and when you're all-inclusive, all demographics are treated more equally.

Remember. The blue lives matter is a direct response to the black lives matter movement calling for dead cops and actually acting on  it.

Sent from your mom.

GSOgymrat

I don't like identity politics, probably because empathy is valued more than reason and groups are more important than individuals. It is an inherently divisive ideology.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 14, 2016, 03:26:46 AM
I don't like identity politics, probably because empathy is valued more than reason and groups are more important than individuals. It is an inherently divisive ideology.

Bingo

Shiranu

Quote...probably because empathy is valued more than reason...

That... is a bad thing?

Empathy has done the world far more good than pure reason ever has.

pr126

TBH, I posted this for our resident SJW snowflake.

Trigger Warning! Trigger Warning!

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on August 14, 2016, 03:42:47 AM
TBH, I posted this for our resident SJW snowflake.

Trigger Warning! Trigger Warning!

Spoiler alert; Tl;dr (or watch, as the case may be)