what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Godis on February 10, 2017, 11:53:05 AM
Ask any college philosophy professor and they will tell you there is no way to prove or disprove the existence of God, and that includes reasoning about the Problem of Evil.  That's the dilemma.  However, I asked my philosophy of religion teacher this:  If there is no way to either prove or disprove the existence of God, then is the limitation of us to be able to do so proof that God must be directing it to be that way?  In other words, you're never as smart as you think you are.

So the lack of evidence of God is evidence that God is hiding himself? What grade did you make in this philosophy class? It sounds like you didn't learn much.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Godis on February 10, 2017, 06:45:28 AM
The best reason to believe in God is that you can if you want and you'll want even more if you can't.

Social conformity happens on many levels, including religion.  However resistance to conformity comes from cussedness ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ask any college philosophy professor and they will tell you there is no way to prove or disprove the existence of God, and that includes reasoning about the Problem of Evil.  That's the dilemma.  However, I asked my philosophy of religion teacher this:  If there is no way to either prove or disprove the existence of God, then is the limitation of us to be able to do so proof that God must be directing it to be that way?  In other words, you're never as smart as you think you are.

That was clever repartee on your part, but not a philosophy.  Often atheists, not theists, are intensely interesting in proof of things.  And there is no good proof for or against G-d ... but it is a decent "Okham's Razon" that there is no G-d.  Some people here never were religious, not even as children.  Others were religious but fell out of it as they matured.  Some of us are still religious.  Only two things link all these test cases ... sociology and psychology.  Proof doesn't pertain to those disciplines, they are descriptive.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

In your case I don't know how you can think you were ever smart.  You sound pretty gullible to me. 

Using your analogy, then it can never be proven that Bugs Bunny is real or not.  Or the Tooth Fairy--is she not real?  How does one prove it?????

I would suggest that since there is not one shred of evidence that god exists that that fact alone would prove god does not exist.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Quote from: Godis on February 10, 2017, 06:45:28 AM
The best reason to believe in God is that you can if you want and you'll want even more if you can't.
No one here will tell you that you can't believe in God, or anything else you'd like to believe in. We just don't see any reason for ourselves to believe in it just because you do. We don't choose not to believe, we simple can not believe -  just as you can't believe in Vishnu, or Thor, or the Great JuJu on the mountain.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 10, 2017, 12:11:02 PM
So the lack of evidence of God is evidence that God is hiding himself? What grade did you make in this philosophy class? It sounds like you didn't learn much.
Also didn't tell us what the professor's answer was to the question...I wonder why...
God Not Found

SGOS

We are not that smart, but why would a god that wants to be loved and worshiped hide from people?  Does this make any sense?  Is he trying to weed out the autistic or those with Asperger's, or is he not interested in people who have brains that think logically?  "Send those people to an eternal fire.  They're not gullible enough for me."

This is where Christian apologetics comes in.  Since a god cannot be understood, we make stuff up to claim understanding of what we can't understand.  Round and round we go, building a house of cards built on explaining god's desires, needs, and personality characteristics, when we've already stated that he is too far above us to understand.  We pretend to understand him even though we say he's too complicated to understand.

Whether a god exists or not, there are mountains of nonsense made up by man to account for the absurdities we feel we have to apologize for.  An odd thing to build a life on.

Unbeliever

In other words, you're never as smart as you think you are. 

But I bet you're as smart as you think you are...
God Not Found

Hijiri Byakuren

We lack evidence of the Men In Black. This proves that the M.I.B. is altering our memories and making us forget all encounters with them.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 10, 2017, 06:37:27 PM
We lack evidence of the Men In Black. This proves that the M.I.B. is altering our memories and making us forget all encounters with them.

M.I.B = Father Guido Sarducci?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The real problem with deities is that they are unnecessary middle-men.  No added value.  Like the car sales guy...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

I had two dolls as a toddler ... Thumper the rabbit, and Caspar the ghost.  My mother still has them.  Caspar had this awesome AI ... you pulled the ring on the string, and he said random things from his list of things to say.  That is how your autonomous trucks, cars, boats and planes are going to work out too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2017, 04:33:08 PM
I had two dolls as a toddler ... Thumper the rabbit, and Caspar the ghost.  My mother still has them.  Caspar had this awesome AI ... you pulled the ring on the string, and he said random things from his list of things to say.  That is how your autonomous trucks, cars, boats and planes are going to work out too.
Are you implying that we live in one branch of a multiverse created by random statements by god?

Christian apologetics: the art of apologizing for Christianity and/or bending the truth to verify the Christian narrative

So the lack of evidence of God is evidence that God is hiding himself?
well... ya!!! thats been the storyline for a long time. Where's yur faith?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Sorginak

Universally accepted evidence of stated deity's existence is the only reason to believe in that god's existence.