Thoughts and possible refutations on this quote by J.C. Ryle

Started by DavidOller, August 11, 2016, 02:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: widdershins on August 17, 2016, 01:09:37 PM
I don't recognize the legitimacy of "sin".

Then you are on my side, if you agree that ethics, morality and legality are also bull shit.  Or do you mean divine sanctions?  I don't believe in those either.  People do whatever they want to do, then talk bull shit about it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

widdershins

"Sin" is a religious concept, a transgression against some divine being.  Since there is no divine, there can be no "sin".

Ethics and morality are definitely gray areas.  Legality is a lot better defined, but still a bit murky.
This sentence is a lie...

Duncle

Ethics, morality and legality are human creations, but that doesn't make them bullshit.  Atheism doesn't necessitate Nihilism.

Actually, its just as well that ethics aren't absolute and fixed for all time, because if they were we wouldn't be able to have moral progress.

Baruch

Quote from: Duncle on August 20, 2016, 05:20:58 AM
Ethics, morality and legality are human creations, but that doesn't make them bullshit.  Atheism doesn't necessitate Nihilism.

Actually, its just as well that ethics aren't absolute and fixed for all time, because if they were we wouldn't be able to have moral progress.

I agree that ethics, morality and legality are useful weapons against my enemies.  If they happen to be rubes.  Darwinian survival isn't nihilism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.