'Ark Encounter' Not the Economic Boom They Expected.

Started by stromboli, August 08, 2016, 11:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthropology/2016/08/williamstown-mayor-says-ark-encounter-is-not-the-economic-boon-they-expected/

QuoteWilliamstown, Kentucky expected a big economic boon after the arrival of Ken Ham’s Ark Encounter in early July. The reality, however, is much different.
“We do have some (tourists) exploring downtown,” said Williamstown Mayor Rick Skinner “As the merchants are getting more advertising with the ark, we’re picking up traffic, but it’s not been as immediate as we thought it might be.”
The lack of tourists can likely be contributed to a few factors.
One, visitation to the park has been a lot lower than the expectations set by Ham. The crowds on opening day peaked around 5,000 and have not done much better since.
Another reason is noted by reporter Scott Wartman in the Cincinnati Enquirer is that “many people don’t make the trip to the region just for the ark. Conventions in Louisville, Lexington and Cincinnati bus people in to see the ark then bus them back out. That means many of these people aren’t traveling around the countryside.”
The lackluster draw from the ark is also having an impact on development in the area.

“Property owners have held onto property hoping the ark will drive values up, he said. That’s delayed three developments, Wells said, one a restaurant, another a ‘theme-based’ hotel. The third project he wouldn’t release any details on, citing a confidentiality agreement,” writes Wartman.
Williamstown took a big chance on the park, granting the attraction more than $60 million in Tax Incremental Funding (TIF). Without such funding, the park would never have gotten off the ground. Over the next 30-years, 75% of the property taxes paid by the park will go back to repaying the TIF.
In return for this funding, and other state rebates, such as the $18 million sales tax rebate, the park promised to bring in tourists, hotel development, restaurants, and more.
Yet, with the underwhelming performance of the park, in its peak opening summer, developers have little to no incentive to bring their projects to the small town.

In the end, this hurts the town of Williamstown, it hurts the taxpayers, it hurts the local schools and businesses.
If Ham can’t produce visitors in July and August, how is he going to ramp up visitation throughout the school year and during the dead of winter?

Would not collectively think that Kentuckians are a bit naive, but the fact that they bought Ham's song and dance and committed future development on the Ark's "robust" turnout of tourists does smack of lacking business foresight, you might say. This is what happens when you buy into  the BS of a carnival huckster. 

Nonsensei

Five years from now it will be a derelict, falling apart in some forgotten corner of a broken town.

The legacy of creationism.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quotevisitation to the park has been a lot lower than the expectations set by Ham.
Who would've thought that a guy who makes a living preaching about the evils of evolution could possibly paint an inaccurate picture about something?

AllPurposeAtheist

Amazing, huh? People just aren't flocking to see a nothing pile of junk in the middle of nowhere. Who would have guessed? I almost made the trip hoping to see the origins of the human race as told by a complete bullshitter, Something held me back.. I dunno what it could have been.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Nonsensei on August 08, 2016, 11:35:23 AM
Five years from now it will be a derelict, falling apart in some forgotten corner of a broken town.

If true it would make a cool set for a horror movie.

Gawdzilla Sama

Or it turns up missing and they remake "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Harrison Ford ghost stars.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

From what I understood, the moron didn't pay for the cost of curing the wood, meaning it will start to rot first bit of rain it gets there.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Munch on August 08, 2016, 03:47:25 PM
From what I understood, the moron didn't pay for the cost of curing the wood, meaning it will start to rot first bit of rain it gets there.

stromboli

Quote from: Munch on August 08, 2016, 03:47:25 PM

If he bought lumber from a standard supplier, it would be seasoned wood. But based on the "post and beam" structures I've seen, it is possible he got cut wood that was not allowed to season. Based on the fact it was built with record speed, that is a likelihood. Could get interesting.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on August 08, 2016, 04:20:36 PM
If he bought lumber from a standard supplier, it would be seasoned wood. But based on the "post and beam" structures I've seen, it is possible he got cut wood that was not allowed to season. Based on the fact it was built with record speed, that is a likelihood. Could get interesting.
Plenty of wood in Kentucky, so getting seasoned lumber wouldn't be a delay-provoking challenge.

I'd like to see it converted to a LGBQT hospice after Ham moves on.
PZ Myers

Johan

Quotevisitation to the park has been a lot lower than the expectations set by Ham

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

SGOS

Quote“Property owners have held onto property hoping the ark will drive values up,"

Flood insurance is probably sky when you live next to an ark.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on August 08, 2016, 07:56:01 PM
Flood insurance is probably sky when you live next to an ark.
Do they cover acts of God?  :P

stromboli

don't know how much rain they have in that neck of the woods, but if it leaks I will laugh my ass off.