News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"God is my ATM, prayer is my PIN"

Started by GSOgymrat, August 01, 2016, 05:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

And even if suffering were to somehow be a good thing, it's gratuitous at this scale.  I mean, take all the horrible things people do to each other - and there's a lot - that's small potatoes compared to nature.  We're talking disease, disorders, natural disasters, drowning, exposure to the elements, etc.  We live in a world where people literally drop dead, sometimes before the age of 1.  What sort of testing ground is that supposed to be?

Blackleaf

Prayer is completely meaningless. In the Bible, it's used to change God's mind. But how could an omniscient god unaffected by time change his mind? He already knows what you're going to ask for, and he already knows best. You can neither bring him concerns that he is unaware of or give him new information. So he's either purposefully withholding what he knows you need until you ask for it, in which case he's a douche, or prayer doesn't make a difference.

The reason that prayer exists in the Christian religion is because God was not always omnipotent and omniscient. Back when he was just one of many gods, it made sense to pray. But as he was upgraded to the status of the only real god with unlimited power and knowledge, it no longer makes sense.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 01, 2016, 11:38:15 PM
And even if suffering were to somehow be a good thing, it's gratuitous at this scale.  I mean, take all the horrible things people do to each other - and there's a lot - that's small potatoes compared to nature.  We're talking disease, disorders, natural disasters, drowning, exposure to the elements, etc.  We live in a world where people literally drop dead, sometimes before the age of 1.  What sort of testing ground is that supposed to be?

Perhaps God doesn't care about human suffering at all, just being worshipped. Maybe that is why Jesus Christ died a prolonged painful death, to demonstrate that human suffering is ultimately irrelevant to God. A pimple or a plague, it's all the same from God's perspective.

I have to keep reminding myself that the Abrahamic religions makes no sense. Unfortunately being surrounded by Christians I get sucked it. It is like when my husband watches The Real Housewives and even though I hate those shows I find myself looking up from my book and saying, "What's her problem?"

widdershins

That entire concept is just plain stupid.  It makes us nothing more than rats in a maze designed to kill us, rewarded not for surviving, but for continually believing the designer was good until we died.
This sentence is a lie...

GSOgymrat

Quote from: widdershins on August 02, 2016, 12:41:06 PM
That entire concept is just plain stupid.  It makes us nothing more than rats in a maze designed to kill us, rewarded not for surviving, but for continually believing the designer was good until we died.

That's Christianity.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 01, 2016, 11:55:30 PM
Prayer is completely meaningless. In the Bible, it's used to change God's mind. But how could an omniscient god unaffected by time change his mind? He already knows what you're going to ask for, and he already knows best. You can neither bring him concerns that he is unaware of or give him new information. So he's either purposefully withholding what he knows you need until you ask for it, in which case he's a douche, or prayer doesn't make a difference.

The reason that prayer exists in the Christian religion is because God was not always omnipotent and omniscient. Back when he was just one of many gods, it made sense to pray. But as he was upgraded to the status of only the only real god with unlimited power and knowledge, it no longer makes sense.

Correct.  The pagans made jokes about the problems Zeus/Jupiter had answering contradictory prayers.  You had to feel sorry for Zeus/Jupiter ... he was one overworked heavenly father ... in a no-win situation.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

You know, when I don't have any money in the bank it doesn't matter if my pin works or not.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Duncle

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 02, 2016, 07:28:49 PM
You know, when I don't have any money in the bank it doesn't matter if my pin works or not.
Well...You obviously haven't tried praying, you horrible heathen you :)

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Duncle on August 03, 2016, 09:09:34 AM
Well...You obviously haven't tried praying, you horrible heathen you :)

I prayed for money in the bank. Then I gave up and got a job.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Duncle

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 03, 2016, 01:26:48 PM
I prayed for money in the bank. Then I gave up and got a job.
But which God did you pray to? Gotta find the right one.

I'd recommend Cthulhu. Great sqiddy tentacles and a good line in insane cultist followers- and arguably more benevolent than Yahweh to boot.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Duncle on August 04, 2016, 06:26:08 AM
But which God did you pray to? Gotta find the right one.

I'd recommend Cthulhu. Great sqiddy tentacles and a good line in insane cultist followers- and arguably more benevolent than Yahweh to boot.
Pagan! I pray to the one true god, the Great Green Arkleseizure.
PZ Myers

randomvim

correlation is not causation.

it's great how illogical selecting a country considered 3rd world that does not pertain same medical liberties as a 1st world country does.

if Sweden gave its medical expertise and equipment for no charge to Nigeria - we would not see this figure.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

PessiOptiMystic

God is my ATM, prayer is my PIN.

Sorry, atm (at the moment) all I can think of is atm (ass to mouth) instead of atm (automated teller machine).

PIN is slang for prison:  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Pin

Seems fitting, though.

aitm

The babble specifically spouts that if you pray, with but the faith of a mustard seed, you can tell a mountain to move and it will and nothing will be impossible for you. I shove that up their ass so far they can see a candle on the moon.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on September 28, 2016, 09:34:23 PM
The babble specifically spouts that if you pray, with but the faith of a mustard seed, you can tell a mountain to move and it will and nothing will be impossible for you. I shove that up their ass so far they can see a candle on the moon.

Don't do that with a watermelon seed, it will grow in your tummy ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.