Police Shoot Sleeping 7-Y/O Girl in Raid on Wrong House

Started by Shiranu, July 24, 2016, 12:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on July 24, 2016, 02:46:51 PM
Reread your post; it's still horse shit as laid out above, with a crowning point argument taken straight from Huckabee's mouth. Next?
So what is your point, Shir? If you disagree or have an issue with something I said, rationally discuss it with me, instead of twisting what I'm saying, comparing me to a guy like Huckabee, and stooping to low-intellect insults.

I've already re-read my post to see if I miscommunication something. As far as I'm aware, I don't see anything. There is either a communication issue on your end, or you are just set in your view. If it's a communication thing, and you just don't understand something I wrote and disagree with it for the reason that you are misunderstanding it, address it. If it's a "I'm sticking to my views" thing, that's another story and this conversation has no where to go. If it IS the latter, have a nice day.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on July 24, 2016, 02:58:00 PM
No one is fucking twisting what you are saying.

I rationally pointed out where you were wrong. And I am comparing you to Huckabee because you literally used a word for word argument straight from his mouth!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/07/11/huckabees-claim-that-more-white-people-were-shot-in-2015-than-minorities/

I am comparing your argument to idiots like Huckabee because the position is the argument idiots like Huckabee use! Captain Obvious here, but if you don't want your arguments to be compared to the arguments of morons, you shouldn't use the same arguments as morons!

And? So? Just because Huckabee is a flaming pile of dog-shit, doesn't mean he's incorrect with 100% of the things he says. Not JUST Huckabee knows about those numbers. Some people like to deny them, though.

Quote from: Shiranu on July 24, 2016, 02:52:39 PM
Right, so now I am "twisting your words".

I guess you not understanding how proportions works is "twisting your words".
I guess you not understanding the concept of "people without equal rights saying they matter to" is "twisting your words".
I guess you not understanding that judging an entire group for bad seeds while saying the opponent cant judge police for their bad seeds is hypocritical is "twisting your words".
I guess you not understanding how using Mike Huckabee's argument of, "Hur dur more whites were killed!" is a load of horseshit is "twisting your words".

Don't fucking come in here acting like you are some shining beacon of rational arguments and with your self-righteous attitude when all you can type is a load of steaming, regurgitated word vomit straight from bigot's mouths with no actual rational depth behind them. not completely validating everything I say. I have a fragile psyche and get very defensive and have trouble reading a response for the facts if they conflict with my views.
Yes. You are twisting my words and also denying the facts that I brought up. Have a nice day, I can't discuss something with someone that is completely irrational and acts like you are acting right now

PickelledEggs

Anyway. Have a nice day, Shir. I can see this is going nowhere fast.

Shiranu

QuoteOh. What is that? Is that a double standard, I see?

Black Lives Matter is a response to the perceived, fairly I should add, impression that black lives do not matter as much as other's because they are disproportionately abused by the police, the state and the media and treated as "things" rather than human beings.

All Lives/Blue Lives matter is a response to the perceived, quite unfairly, impression that BLM is an implication of, "Oh, you are saying Blacks are more important than us? We won't stand for that!" by groups that do not face nearly the same abuse. It's a relatively privileged group saying that a less privileged group should just shut up because everyone has it bad.

To quote a great response...

QuoteImagine that you’re sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don’t get any. So you say “I should get my fair share.” And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, “everyone should get their fair share.” Now, that’s a wonderful sentiment â€" indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad’s smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn’t solve the problem that you still haven’t gotten any!

The problem is that the statement “I should get my fair share” had an implicit “too” at the end: “I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else.” But your dad’s response treated your statement as though you meant “only I should get my fair share”, which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that “everyone should get their fair share,” while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

QuoteBut anyway. Black lives matter, right? They're given a bad rap, and have been unjustly killed more than any other ethnic group by cops, right? Wrong.

This is irrelevant and distracts from the actual issue.

QuoteAccording to the most recent census data, there are nearly 160 million more white people in America than there are black people. White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. As The Post noted in a new analysis published last week, that means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.

U.S. police officers have shot and killed the exact same number of unarmed white people as they have unarmed black people: 50 each. But because the white population is approximately five times larger than the black population, that means unarmed black Americans were five times as likely as unarmed white Americans to be shot and killed by a police officer.

QuoteAnd yes, I would never deny that there are a ton of shitty cops, but there are much more good cops than bad cops. The bad cops tend to get the spotlight though.

So, when the bad seeds of BLM are given media attention, all of BLM are thugs and violent. But when the bad seeds of the police murder and have entire departments cover it up, and the state does nothing against it you ask me to not judge cops because most are good. This is hypocritical at best.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Johan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Nonsensei

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 24, 2016, 01:59:19 PM
Absolutely correct. Anyone want to tell me a murderous cop's life matters more than my 10 year old granddaughters or 13 year old grandsons lives?  Fuck no they matter not as far as I'm concerned.  They're fucking murderers when they're killing children in their sleep,  nothing more,  nothing less.

I guess I have to ask this: in your mind when you think about the scenario in the OP, do you see those police seeing the little girl in the bed, recognizing that she is no threat, and then calmly shooting her in the head anyway?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Hijiri Byakuren

Well, this thread went downhill fast. Anyone wanna share with me?

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Nonsensei on July 24, 2016, 09:54:51 PM
I guess I have to ask this: in your mind when you think about the scenario in the OP, do you see those police seeing the little girl in the bed, recognizing that she is no threat, and then calmly shooting her in the head anyway?
Oops, right? No malice intended. No harm, no foul. That little girl would have probably stolen a candy bar anyway someday.
It doesn't really matter if the cop intended to shoot her or not. The fact is he did and he killed her all in the name of you feeling safer at night. An innocent life snuffed out ,but it was all just one big misunderstanding, but he's a good cop.. WRONG.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

widdershins

I find it difficult to believe a judge would have issued a warrant for both locations knowing the suspect lived at only one of them.  And while this obviously doesn't reflect on all police everywhere it is a sign of police more commonly being out of control.  Since when does "Protect and serve" mean "Shoot anything that moves"?

This is a horrible tragedy which never should have happened.  Police raid places in the middle of the night because they know suspects are going to be caught sleeping and unaware.  And any idiot can figure out what happens when a sleeping person hears explosions, windows being smashed, the door being kicked in and people screaming.  Panic.  Panic means movement.  It's called the "fight or flight response" and the guy who first described it died in 1945, so it's not a new concept.

Police acting like a military force without military training is a very bad thing.  It leads to innocent people being injured and killed.  Yes, they sometimes need heavy-handed tactics, but there is absolutely no excuse for killing children in a raid of the wrong house.  The flash-bangs have even killed babies in the past.  If the force is even potentially deadly it simply should not be considered a tool for use unless they know, for certain, their lives are in danger, something they certainly can't argue is true when they're raiding two places for one suspect.

Certainly, at the very least, police training in this case is not sufficient to justify the weapons they have.  Blue lives do matter, but not more than any given innocent child.  You don't protect one life by taking another "just in case".
This sentence is a lie...

Flanker1Six

What really happened after the shooting:  (Which occurred during the filming of the TV Show "The First 48hrs")

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2015/04/17/officer-weekley-aiyana-stanley-jones-back-job/25963313/

"Weekley (European American) led the Detroit Police Special Response Team into the residence on Lillibridge on the city's east side. He said that seconds after entering the home the girl's grandmother, Mertilla Jones, slapped at his MP-5 sub-machine gun, causing it to fire a bullet that killed Aiyana, who was sleeping on a couch in the living room with her grandmother."  (Plaintiff's account maintain there was no physical altercation and the shot was fired from the porch).

"A hung jury in his first trial in June 2013 caused a mistrial to be declared. During his second trial, Wayne Circuit Judge Cynthia Gray Hathaway (African American) threw out a manslaughter charge, and the jury (made up of four African Americans -- eight women and four men) again failed to reach a verdict on a misdemeanor charge of reckless discharge, and a second mistrial was declared last year. Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy (African American) declined to try Weekley a third time.

Earlier this month, Aiyana's family (represented by Geoffrey Figer)filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court against Weekley, Robert Rowe, the Detroit Police Department and members of the Special Response Team.

The lawsuit, which seeks at least $75,000 in damages, alleges Weekley and Rowe used excessive force, violated Aiyana's civil rights and tried to cover up circumstances surrounding the shooting."

The wrongful death suit remains ongoing. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 24, 2016, 01:59:19 PM
Absolutely correct. Anyone want to tell me a murderous cop's life matters more than my 10 year old granddaughters or 13 year old grandsons lives?  Fuck no they matter not as far as I'm concerned.  They're fucking murderers when they're killing children in their sleep,  nothing more,  nothing less.
All cops are bad. All blacks are drug dealers. All Mexicans are illegal.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers