News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Urban survival

Started by PopeyesPappy, July 16, 2016, 10:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

This bullshit has been predicted since I can remember. It gets its roots from the "preppers" of the cold war era, but when Uncle Joe didn't show up on time the retailers of fear had to start peddling the fear of your neighbors and the total and complete breakdown of civil society which...ehem...isn't happening anytime soon, but it sure sells in Hooeywood. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Flanker1Six

Quote from: aitm on July 17, 2016, 12:37:07 AM
Frankly if we suddenly have to jump into underground bunkers to survive our own neighbors, it will simply be a matter of time anyway, and perhaps the grand effort of futility would be better spent blasting as many ass-holes as you can before you eventually decide the road is not worth the effort.

That would likely be my preferred technique..................................but, my neighbors are all pretty decent folk.  I suppose if they actually broke in for my Raw Pork Swirl........................I'd have to do 'em though!   .)

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Flanker1Six on July 17, 2016, 06:11:16 PM
That would likely be my preferred technique..................................but, my neighbors are all pretty decent folk.  I suppose if they actually broke in for my Raw Pork Swirl........................I'd have to do 'em though!   .)

Gotta feed the dog something...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

I'm told human flesh tastes like pork......

PopeyesPappy

I guess they don't call it long pig for nothing then.

AllPurposeAtheist

Not to worry..Obama's last act before leaving the white house will be going door to door to take all your guns. He's going to nationalize the shoe industry (sorry shoe) because that's a lot of walking..Don't even think about shooting him. He's the bullet proof president. He'll be like a bullet proof  Santa Claus, everywhere at once.. Then we'll all live happily ever after.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

I've never really understood doomsday prep.

We're talking about an apocalyptic event that mankind has never faced before, yet we're sure it's going to happen in our lifetimes (which seems like kinda long odds).  The gameplan is to hoard a bunch of guns and bonus buckets, which in all likelihood, wouldn't be enough for humanity to bounce back from near extinction.  And who'd even want to live in a world circling the toilet, anyway?

To me, this just seems like a way to pump people full of fear so that they buy a bunch of stuff.  The real apocalypse is the credit card statement.

stromboli

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 18, 2016, 11:57:39 AM
I've never really understood doomsday prep.

We're talking about an apocalyptic event that mankind has never faced before, yet we're sure it's going to happen in our lifetimes (which seems like kinda long odds).  The gameplan is to hoard a bunch of guns and bonus buckets, which in all likelihood, wouldn't be enough for humanity to bounce back from near extinction.  And who'd even want to live in a world circling the toilet, anyway?

To me, this just seems like a way to pump people full of fear so that they buy a bunch of stuff.  The real apocalypse is the credit card statement.

Which is the conclusion I came to long before leaving Mormonism, which is prepper central in the West. Pretty sure the people to worry about are all elected or appointed officials who have your wellbeing (cough) in mind. Be leery of the guy in a 3 piece suit, not the dude with a turban on his head.

chill98

Urban survival to me, means getting out of the urban area asap!  While not a doomsday prepper, I do watch some of the videos on youtube looking for ideas to mess around with.  Last summer I went to a demonstration on starting a fire with flint and steel and had a blast.  I made FIRE!

Haven't gotten around to building my own little aluminum can melter, yet.... and yesterday I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEl-Y1NvBVI

Pretty popular, the guy is getting millions of hits in just a couple of weeks. 

Shiranu

Quoteyet we're sure it's going to happen in our lifetimes...

Goes back to biblical times and the rapture/return of Jesus. Something about the human brain just seems to be wired for doomsday.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Duncle

I have a friend who has recently (in the last year or so) become a conspiracy nut who's preparing for the Apocalypse. I say friend, but in fact friend on hold or even ex-friend might be more accurate. She has become very very trying and very very tiring to deal with, and to be honest I've been avoiding her for several months now. Anyway, Sharon (real name of friend) has a shed full of supplies for the coming disaster- mainly dried and tinned food, plus more stuff stored under her house.

Interesting fact: She regularly changes her view on what the nature of the Apocalypse will be. A while back, she was convinced that the Earth was going to be hit by a rogue planet- and THEY (whoever the fuck THEY were- Sharon has never been entirely clear on that one) were covering up the fact with chemtrails (an entirely bogus phenomenon btw). Then there was the one where THEY were planning to unleash germ warfare to kill most of the world's population. Or, most disturbingly: THEY were planning to start a race war in Europe by bringing in Muslim refugees to rape white women. That was the tipping point for me- my tolerance for white supremacist theories is at most zero, and after she came out with the race war thing I pretty much stopped seeing her.

Sharon's ideas would be funny, except that she's someone who I still care about a lot, and she's obviously not well.

stromboli

Quote from: Duncle on August 01, 2016, 03:38:28 AM
I have a friend who has recently (in the last year or so) become a conspiracy nut who's preparing for the Apocalypse. I say friend, but in fact friend on hold or even ex-friend might be more accurate. She has become very very trying and very very tiring to deal with, and to be honest I've been avoiding her for several months now. Anyway, Sharon (real name of friend) has a shed full of supplies for the coming disaster- mainly dried and tinned food, plus more stuff stored under her house.

Interesting fact: She regularly changes her view on what the nature of the Apocalypse will be. A while back, she was convinced that the Earth was going to be hit by a rogue planet- and THEY (whoever the fuck THEY were- Sharon has never been entirely clear on that one) were covering up the fact with chemtrails (an entirely bogus phenomenon btw). Then there was the one where THEY were planning to unleash germ warfare to kill most of the world's population. Or, most disturbingly: THEY were planning to start a race war in Europe by bringing in Muslim refugees to rape white women. That was the tipping point for me- my tolerance for white supremacist theories is at most zero, and after she came out with the race war thing I pretty much stopped seeing her.

Sharon's ideas would be funny, except that she's someone who I still care about a lot, and she's obviously not well.

The latest and greatest is that fire Ants have been secretly chemically treated so that when they bite you it makes you gay. So if you get bitten by one and have a sudden interest in redecorating your house-(sorry, that was homophobic of me).

GSOgymrat

Kurgesagt just released a video on one of my favorite dooms day scenarios, gamma ray bursts! What appeals to me is how the world could instantly be fried with no warning.

https://youtu.be/RLykC1VN7NY

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 01, 2016, 01:52:31 PM
Kurgesagt just released a video on one of my favorite dooms day scenario, gamma ray bursts! What appeals to me is how the world could instantly be fried with no warning.

Mine is the metastable universe. Basically it says the observable universe is a false vacuum. If true then one day quantum fluctuations could cause a small area of true vacuum to form which could in theory spread at the speed of light throughout the rest of the universe rewriting the laws of physics as it goes. It could have already begun somewhere in the universe, and be heading our way now. We'd have no way of knowing though until it gets here then in an instant everything would be gone right down to quarks, leptons, neutrinos, muons and force carriers. No atoms, no strong or weak forces, no electromagnetism, no gravity, no nothing. They say something else would probably replace that stuff but nothing would be or even work the same.

Baruch

Study Cyprus and Greece.  You will have a bank crisis far sooner than zombie apocalypse.  A bank crisis would be bad enough and some of the prepper stuff still applies.  But I doubt if you need more than 1 month of supplies.  If the electronic cash registers go down, and not rebooted successfully, we will all be dead inside of 4 weeks anyway.  There is only three days of supplies in the stores anyway, once things go Venezuela on us.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.