News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Urban survival

Started by PopeyesPappy, July 16, 2016, 10:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

So apparently there's a prepper trade show here at the civic center today. I didn't know know anything about it until a few minutes ago when Karen's 26 yo biologist daughter called and asked if we wanted to go to the 1 pm seminar on urban survival. No I'm not interested in going. Especially for $12. For one thing they probably aren't going to have anything to say that I don't already know. I did find it interesting though that the young biologist with the NASA rocket scientist boyfriend wanted to go.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Nonsensei

Is this like how to survive in the event of an apocalypse or how to avoid brown people and rapists?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

stromboli

I know enough about prepping and urban survival to know that the people running these shows are usually god guns&Jesus types. More often than not its a gun show or trying to sell MRI type of preserved goods. A real seminar on urban survival would be useful, but the likelihood of a religious or political bent is high. I wouldn't waste $12 personally.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Nonsensei on July 16, 2016, 10:35:08 AM
Is this like how to survive in the event of an apocalypse or how to avoid brown people and rapists?

Billed as the former.

One interesting point about what most preach about urban survival is a bit of catch 22. One one hand you are supposed to be gray. i.e. blend in. Don't stand out from the crowd. On the other hand you are supposed to present yourself as more of a threat than a victim when approached by others.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: stromboli on July 16, 2016, 10:59:16 AM
I know enough about prepping and urban survival to know that the people running these shows are usually god guns&Jesus types. More often than not its a gun show or trying to sell MRI type of preserved goods. A real seminar on urban survival would be useful, but the likelihood of a religious or political bent is high. I wouldn't waste $12 personally.

Oh yea. It's a trade show. No firearms but plenty of other gear and food items. One of the top billing attractions is the body armor booth complete with AR 500 plates.

And yea again. Little chance the seminars won't have at least a political message.

GSOgymrat

I had never heard of "preppers" and when I read the original post I first thought the OP had misspelled pepper, because attending a pepper trade show with a young biologist, to discuss growing peppers in an urban area for food, made more sense to my brain than a trade show to prepare for the apocalypse.

Mermaid

That sounds incredibly annoying. I would be amused for about 10 minutes, then I'd have to leave.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Flanker1Six

I have a Swiss knife, some fruit bars, and raw pork swirl ice cream!

Still a few shopping days before the end of the world (courtesy of the magnetic pole swap) on 7/29/16! 

http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Articles.asp?ID=368&Click=27924

Check out the camo crossbow on the lower right of the page below; it's the "Darryl Signature Model" from The Walking Dead!  LOL!

http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2014/02/26/preppers-list-of-supplies/

This one is THE SHIT!  Don't forget to "Like" them, and click on the I Want To Survive button (unless you don't)!  :)

https://www.doomsdayprep.com/   :snipe:

stromboli

They have some form of prepper show in Utah about every 6 months. I haven't been to one for many years. Back then they were basically Mormon church end times, better buy your MRI food supply now! I was into home self defense and even took some martial arts training, which now I've mostly forgotten. It started to sink in that Hill AFB nor my house in the country were likely targets for "brown" people or anyone else.

Most people who get into food storage end up with a basement full of out of date, unused food because it first of all requires time and effort with preparation, rotation, grinding wheat, other shit like that there. The Mormon church 2 year food supply thing fell apart after a few years because nobody could be dedicated enough to maintain a rotating food supply of basic stuff that requires extra preparation and storage.

stromboli

Yeah just for info, I have more stuff in the back of my car than most people even own. I have water purification, emergency ponchos, flat tire repair, 2 knives, 1 Cold Steel hatchet and 1 Fiskars axe. A 6" 1095 steel hunting knife in a Kydex sheath, a 9" Cold Steel Bowie given to me by an ex Marine buddy, a very complete tool kit, a first aid kit, repair manual for the Subaru, and sundry other stuff. And that is stuff I just happen to carry. I have bundled camping gear enough to last 10 days I can throw in the car and be gone in an hour.

Being a welder I built a rack for the car for $40 that carries more gear than a $400 commercial rig. We have got it down to where a 10-14 day trip will cost less than $1,000 including occasional stays in motels. A 600 mile day driving for me is nothing. We have camped all the way from the Canadian border to central Colorado to southern Arizona.

Sounds like I'm a prepper, but we camp religiously every year. This is the first year we aren't visiting a new National Park because our national forest campsite went up in smoke. I can set up and break down a campsite in under 2 hours. The dude is prepared.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: stromboli on July 16, 2016, 05:36:32 PM
I have ...

I have a fire hazard. If you see smoke coming from Pappy's garage, run. Run fast and run far...

stromboli

Lol. rounds would cook off individually, but with that many probably a lot of shit flying around. Powder in canisters- I would definitely run.

stromboli

I need a gun safe.......

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: stromboli on July 16, 2016, 11:58:33 PM
I need a gun safe.......

I've got a safe, but that's a 40 x 60 double wall flammable materials cabinet.

aitm

Frankly if we suddenly have to jump into underground bunkers to survive our own neighbors, it will simply be a matter of time anyway, and perhaps the grand effort of futility would be better spent blasting as many ass-holes as you can before you eventually decide the road is not worth the effort.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust