Yet another reason not to be a CATHOLIC! …………..

Started by 21CIconoclast, July 09, 2016, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 11, 2016, 11:59:39 AM
Oo! Imagine if that twist was hidden, and it attracts all of the Christian movie-goers to see it. I could imagine their heads exploding in the theater.

I imagine Christians pouring out of the theater holding their heads, crying, lamenting, and pleading for forgiveness, while vomiting on the sidewalk, and finally rioting, smashing store fronts, setting fire to parked cars, and stoning strangers. 

But turnaround is fair play.  I have rented movies more than once or twice after reading the descriptions, only to find out I had rented an advertisement for Jesus.  I don't like to be baited and switched, especially when I end up footing the bill and supporting more propaganda.  It's unethical, except if you believe Paul's glorifications of bearing false witness in the name of promoting Christianity.

randomvim

Quote from: Baruch on September 11, 2016, 09:58:04 AM
My church experience correlates ... people go to church for themselves, not for others.  Specifically so that they can feel good about themselves, and be entertained by the show.  Back in the day, there was no other regular show in town to go to.  When it comes to helping others, at least in the US in modern times, church people aren't bad people, but their individualism and parochialism prevents them from actually acting like Jesus in the world.  Did you ever see the movie Joshua ... about Jesus coming back to the Southern US ... visiting with the various church folks, and then a surprise visit to the Pope on the way out.  At least that time he didn't get crucified for this troubles.

What a person's intent is during Church is on them.  that is part of judgement, in terms of what Catholic teaching expresses.

I would never make that a claim for every church goer who is supposed to be there for their God.

I have been to Catholic Mass before. there is no "show" in regards to how others may perform their services or how any speaker may perform a presentation.

I did not see the movie you speak of. I will look it over perhaps.

My grandparents were Catholic. almost entire parish body came to their funerals. some dedicated a visit to my grandfather when he was in hospice. Yes none of them paid for anything - but the community did help in their own ways and I would never think anyone is obligated to pay for or do things for those they did not know.

Otherwise I know one may work with a parish to do fundraisers to help w/ costs. just depends on situation. like if anyone is asking.

Furthermore. though I have heard these "wrong doings" before I have also heard of great support from a person's Church.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: SGOS on September 11, 2016, 11:50:58 AM
The critic reviews I seemed to choose out of the lot, seemed to think the movie didn't offer much.  Although, I still think the scenario has possibilities.  Instead of a kind and well meaning newcomer getting rejected by the town's religious leaders with their own motives, how about an evil Jesus with an entirely different plan, one which reveals itself and startles everyone as God's actual plan that is contrary to what everyone had assumed.  Something that points out how little mankind and the great theologians actually know about who God really is.  Something that underscores the need to verify things that have no proof, before assuming them to be benevolent.
YES! Jesus is turns out to be the most evil thing of all: A LIBERAL!

I wouldn't have him as truly evil though, I'd have him piss all over the modern church, for their ignorance and intolerance. Treat the evangelicals like the pharisees. Toss the "money-changers" out of the temple. Minister to the suffering. Help the poor. Comfort the fearful. Preach brotherly love. Follow the Golden Rule, etc. Have him be the Ideal Man that everyone wishes he was, instead of constantly worrying, "Who do men say that I am?"
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

randomvim

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on September 12, 2016, 04:30:41 AM

I wouldn't have him as truly evil though, I'd have him piss all over the modern church, for their ignorance and intolerance. Treat the evangelicals like the pharisees. Toss the "money-changers" out of the temple. Minister to the suffering. Help the poor. Comfort the fearful. Preach brotherly love. Follow the Golden Rule, etc. Have him be the Ideal Man that everyone wishes he was, instead of constantly worrying, "Who do men say that I am?"
how was Jesus constantly worrying?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jack89

Is it ignorance and intolerance because Catholics don't agree with your views?  Catholics minister to the suffering, help the poor and comfort the fearful.  It's the largest charitable organization in the world.  Catholics also teach brotherly love and the golden rule. Since I've returned to the Church I haven't seen any coercion, no pressure to contribute, and have only seen peaceful appeals to those causes the Church supports.  Not once have I seen in doctrine, in Mass, in Catechism class, or idle conversation even a hint of violent or coercive methods to push Catholic beliefs.  What I have seen are people coming together to volunteer their time, money, and compassion to help people in need. 

Blackleaf

Quote from: Jack89 on September 12, 2016, 11:17:16 AM
Is it ignorance and intolerance because Catholics don't agree with your views?  Catholics minister to the suffering, help the poor and comfort the fearful.  It's the largest charitable organization in the world.  Catholics also teach brotherly love and the golden rule. Since I've returned to the Church I haven't seen any coercion, no pressure to contribute, and have only seen peaceful appeals to those causes the Church supports.  Not once have I seen in doctrine, in Mass, in Catechism class, or idle conversation even a hint of violent or coercive methods to push Catholic beliefs.  What I have seen are people coming together to volunteer their time, money, and compassion to help people in need.

I'm pretty sure Catholics do not qualify as evangelicals...
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 12, 2016, 04:55:12 PM
I'm pretty sure Catholics do not qualify as evangelicals...
Thank you.

I was talking about evangelicals, specifically. Catholicism seems to be slowly evolving. But when it comes to comforting the fearful, your doctrine of hell is not going away as far as I can see. And do they let divorcees participate in communion now? Or women be priests? Or permit horny people to use rubbers? The evangelicals are the worst, but you fuckers aren't much better.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Jack89 on September 12, 2016, 11:17:16 AMNot once have I seen in doctrine, in Mass, in Catechism class, or idle conversation even a hint of violent or coercive methods to push Catholic beliefs.  What I have seen are people coming together to volunteer their time, money, and compassion to help people in need.
I'm sure a convert's enthusiasm has a lot to do with what you see.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: randomvim on September 12, 2016, 10:31:43 AM
how was Jesus constantly worrying?
By constantly asking the apostles, "Who do men say that I am?" He is putting the focus on himself, rather than the merits his teachings. He wants to hear that he is something special. And the apostles are all too happy to oblige him.

He uses faith-healing to "prove" his divinity. It's ludicrous to believe in any of that kind of faith healing crap, when it goes on now, so why is it okay to believe it when it's in an old book? Are those people more or less likely than a modern person, to be fooled by such pseudo miracles? Give your doubts a little validity, for a moment, and see the Bible for what it is. Human bullshit, not divine dogma.

widdershins

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on September 12, 2016, 05:38:16 PM
By constantly asking the apostles, "Who do men say that I am?" He is putting the focus on himself, rather than the merits his teachings. He wants to hear that he is something special. And the apostles are all too happy to oblige him.

He uses faith-healing to "prove" his divinity. It's ludicrous to believe in any of that kind of faith healing crap, when it goes on now, so why is it okay to believe it when it's in an old book? Are those people more or less likely than a modern person, to be fooled by such pseudo miracles? Give your doubts a little validity, for a moment, and see the Bible for what it is. Human bullshit, not divine dogma.
Maybe he was truly the son of God then.  God needs to constantly hear that he is something special and throws a fit and lights you on fire if you don't tell him enough.

But I think I'll still hold of on accepting the "You get to live forever after you die!" claim.  Something about that, I'm not quite sure what, just seems a little off...
This sentence is a lie...

Baruch

In Kabbalah, the metaphysical man, the ideal man is Adam Kadmon ... the prototype for the fictional figure of Jesus.  Of course, a Kabbalist who knows that, might be distruptively ambitious enough to try to embody that ideal.  And any society would try to kill such a person.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 11, 2016, 11:28:03 AM
Of course, this Jesus is white. Why am I not surprised? Other than that, it looks really corny, but I'm surprised by some of the recognizable talent in the movie. They even got Michael W. Smith to write music for it.

There is another second coming movie, where G-d manifests as a human woman.  Of course this didn't work out any better ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 11, 2016, 11:50:58 AM
The critic reviews I seemed to choose out of the lot, seemed to think the movie didn't offer much.  Although, I still think the scenario has possibilities.  Instead of a kind and well meaning newcomer getting rejected by the town's religious leaders with their own motives, how about an evil Jesus with an entirely different plan, one which reveals itself and startles everyone as God's actual plan that is contrary to what everyone had assumed.  Something that points out how little mankind and the great theologians actually know about who God really is.  Something that underscores the need to verify things that have no proof, before assuming them to be benevolent.

People like their apocalypse movies, where their enemies get fried.  This is from Zoroaster, 500 years before Jesus.  All the Abrahamic faiths took the apocalypse idea into their theology, it was very popular.  Eusebius of Caesarea, who worked for Emperor Constantine, smelled a rat however.

Personally I don't think G-d is benevolent.  I wish G-d was, but I am not bound by my wishful thinking.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

randomvim

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on September 12, 2016, 05:38:16 PM

Jesus didn't "keep on asking" and when He did ask... look at how things are written and consider how things were stated in whole. that wasn't out of concern or worry, it was a question to them so they may think.  I do same when kids I watched were done reading books for school.  ask so they thought about the book in a critical way instead of just being thoughtless.

I talk to many. Healing occurs more than just physical and that is as they teach. Sadly not all follow in their faith.

Blackleaf

Quote from: randomvim on September 12, 2016, 07:31:04 PM
Jesus didn't "keep on asking" and when He did ask... look at how things are written and consider how things were stated in whole. that wasn't out of concern or worry, it was a question to them so they may think.  I do same when kids I watched were done reading books for school.  ask so they thought about the book in a critical way instead of just being thoughtless.

I talk to many. Healing occurs more than just physical and that is as they teach. Sadly not all follow in their faith.

Or the writer just wanted the reader to think that there was controversy over the true nature of Jesus. Some say he was a wise teacher. Some say he was the second coming of an old prophet. Actually, a lot of people deny that he even existed, but we're not going to acknowledge that theory because we want people to take his existence as a given.

And of course, the author gave us what was the "correct answer" so there would be no ambiguity.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--