Yet another reason not to be a CATHOLIC! …………..

Started by 21CIconoclast, July 09, 2016, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21CIconoclast

One of the greatest ironies relative to the primitive thinking Catholic mind-set is the recent fact that Pope Francis stated that all Atheists are heaven bound!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/22/pope-francis-good-atheists_n_3320757.html

Yes, we laugh at the primitive faith of Catholicism, and reject their mythical heaven where one is to be confined within a 1400 square mile area with its 60 foot walls,  walking and talking with the Jesus character for eternity, and where there will be absolutely no women, period!

BUT, here’s the rub. Think of the poor Catholic that has to hide from the embarrassment of their pedophile priests that buggered innocent children, their subsequent embarrassing coverups, and 5 BILLION paid out thus far in reparations. Then as if this wasn’t enough, the Catholics have to follow their comical pagan rituals like putting 10% in Sunday’s plate offerings, that in part go to pay off their pedophile priest problems, where they metaphorically eat and drink Jesus’ blood and flesh, and all of other pagan stuff the flock has to follow on a weekly basis, and then knowing that the Atheist is heaven bound without having to do these Bronze and Iron Age cultist rituals!  LOL!

Barring the fact that Pope Francis is conveniently rewriting the Catholic bible in other areas, if his edict was followed to the letter, then there is no reason to be a Catholic!  I wonder if Francis ever thought of this notion as he signaled to the masses that you don’t really have to be a primitive thinking Catholic to meet Jesus in heaven?  Probably not.

I’m telling you, Christianity should go on the road as a comedy Vaudeville Act, it would sell out each performance!  What member of this site could play Jesus? Is the pseudo-christian Randy Carson still around?

“CRAP, what did I just say?"
“When Christians understand why you dismiss all the other gods in the Before Common Era, then you will understand why I dismiss your serial killer god named Yahweh.”

AllPurposeAtheist

Catholisism died off in my family with my grandmother. After giving them thousands of dollars in her life (she lived to 94) when she needed their help the most there was nobody home for her. If memory serves me right she was 90 when she finally gave up on them.  Better late than never I guess.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

randomvim

amazing how ignorant people can be.

1. the "post" did not share everything the Pope said.

2. Everyone including huffington just missed Catholic teaching - in order to get to heaven you have to accept God. At death our hearts/intents are judged.

If sin pushes us away from God then how would a sinful person accept God in their final hour or judgement?

That which is the church & it's sacraments is to help maintain a good life. based on this information  among other topics - if one were to go up against an obstacle it is better done with right tools. or at least this is concept many Catholics have and there is nothing illogical about wanting or having proper tools for a job.

3. Bible isn't being rewritten by the Pope.

4. Not everything the Pope says is infallible teaching. Catholics are open to consider some things the Pope says as critical thinking.

5. you describe various parts of Catholicism incorrectly. I am not surprised. it is a complex thing.

6. there would be no embarrassment in knowing a body of humans are not immune to doing the wrong thing. that person must attend to their action just as I do.

Sad and unfortunate that a person would take their own path rather our Lord's path when they themselves claimed they would walk the path of our Lord.

However. for a world where God does not exist, even an atheist can be as some may have been a pedo.

randomvim

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 10, 2016, 01:07:45 AM
Catholisism died off in my family with my grandmother. After giving them thousands of dollars in her life (she lived to 94) when she needed their help the most there was nobody home for her. If memory serves me right she was 90 when she finally gave up on them.  Better late than never I guess.

How unfortunate. what do you mean there was nobody home for her?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Solomon Zorn

Yeah, not everything the pope says is ex-cathedra. So don't get your hopes up on joining their afterlife-club.

Also you got another thing wrong: they don't metaphorically eat the flesh and drink the blood of Christ, they do it LITERALLY! See the doctrine of transubstantiation.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Baruch

Quote from: randomvim on September 11, 2016, 03:45:14 AM

How unfortunate. what do you mean there was nobody home for her?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My church experience correlates ... people go to church for themselves, not for others.  Specifically so that they can feel good about themselves, and be entertained by the show.  Back in the day, there was no other regular show in town to go to.  When it comes to helping others, at least in the US in modern times, church people aren't bad people, but their individualism and parochialism prevents them from actually acting like Jesus in the world.  Did you ever see the movie Joshua ... about Jesus coming back to the Southern US ... visiting with the various church folks, and then a surprise visit to the Pope on the way out.  At least that time he didn't get crucified for this troubles.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jack89

Quote from: Baruch on September 11, 2016, 09:58:04 AM
My church experience correlates ... people go to church for themselves, not for others.  Specifically so that they can feel good about themselves, and be entertained by the show.  Back in the day, there was no other regular show in town to go to.  When it comes to helping others, at least in the US in modern times, church people aren't bad people, but their individualism and parochialism prevents them from actually acting like Jesus in the world.  Did you ever see the movie Joshua ... about Jesus coming back to the Southern US ... visiting with the various church folks, and then a surprise visit to the Pope on the way out.  At least that time he didn't get crucified for this troubles.
Sounds like an interesting movie, I'll check it out. 

SGOS

Quote from: Jack89 on September 11, 2016, 10:26:52 AM

Yeah, there are definite possibilities with that scenario, but one that can get really stupid very fast.  I'm going to check it out also.  I might be interested.

SGOS

Vera Farmiga:  The movie has got something of merit.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joshua

Baruch

Quote from: Jack89 on September 11, 2016, 10:26:52 AM

If there were a Jesus, and he was like in the movie ... he would be awesome!  A real uber-mensch ;-)

This was a movie ... made from a series of popular books from the 1980s.  In the later books ... he is magically going from Rome to Jerusalem, so sort things out there between the Israelis and Palestinians.  I think because the scene shifted from the US to the ME ... it was of less interest and more controversial for US readers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJnQP97M1DY
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Two different Joshua movies 2002 (yours) and 2007 (the one I reviewed).  I don't think the two plots have anything to do with each other.  Mine was a horror flick.  Yours was, well... I'm still not sure if it's inspirational or interesting.

Jack89

That's a pretty old article, and what he said is basically Vatican II stuff, circa 1964.  Catholic doctrine states that theirs is the best way, but non-Christians can finds salvation if they follow the way of God.  To summarize, if you do good, you can find heaven.  Nothing wrong with that idea.

Contrary to popular belief, pedophilia has never been condoned by the Catholic Church.  People used to turn a blind eye to it, which is unforgiveable, but it's never been accepted.  Nowadays you go to jail and your priesthood is stripped from you if you're a priest.  To say the Catholic faith is bad because of pedophilia is like saying children's sports or public education is bad because of pedophilia.  We need to do whatever we can to prevent it, wherever it may occur.

The Catholic faith is complex and filled with metaphor and allegory, which is something that I quite enjoy.  Even those practices that are taken literally, like the Eucharist, have multiple undertones. 

If you don't like what you think it represents and don't want to explore further, fine.  They're not forcing you.  They wont come after you and throw you off a building if you're gay, they wont burn you if you're a witch and they wont throw stones at you if you commit adultery.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on September 11, 2016, 10:51:27 AM
If there were a Jesus, and he was like in the movie ... he would be awesome!  A real uber-mensch ;-)

This was a movie ... made from a series of popular books from the 1980s.  In the later books ... he is magically going from Rome to Jerusalem, so sort things out there between the Israelis and Palestinians.  I think because the scene shifted from the US to the ME ... it was of less interest and more controversial for US readers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJnQP97M1DY

Of course, this Jesus is white. Why am I not surprised? Other than that, it looks really corny, but I'm surprised by some of the recognizable talent in the movie. They even got Michael W. Smith to write music for it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 11, 2016, 11:28:03 AM
Of course, this Jesus is white. Why am I not surprised? Other than that, it looks really corny, but I'm surprised by some of the recognizable talent in the movie. They even got Michael W. Smith to write music for it.

The critic reviews I seemed to choose out of the lot, seemed to think the movie didn't offer much.  Although, I still think the scenario has possibilities.  Instead of a kind and well meaning newcomer getting rejected by the town's religious leaders with their own motives, how about an evil Jesus with an entirely different plan, one which reveals itself and startles everyone as God's actual plan that is contrary to what everyone had assumed.  Something that points out how little mankind and the great theologians actually know about who God really is.  Something that underscores the need to verify things that have no proof, before assuming them to be benevolent.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on September 11, 2016, 11:50:58 AM
The critic reviews I seemed to choose out of the lot, seemed to think the movie didn't offer much.  Although, I still think the scenario has possibilities.  Instead of a kind and well meaning newcomer getting rejected by the town's religious leaders with their own motives, how about an evil Jesus with an entirely different plan, one which reveals itself and startles everyone as God's actual plan that is contrary to what everyone had assumed.  Something that points out how little mankind and the great theologians actually know about who God really is.  Something that underscores the need to verify things that have no proof, before assuming them to be benevolent.

Oo! Imagine if that twist was hidden, and it attracts all of the Christian movie-goers to see it. I could imagine their heads exploding in the theater.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--