News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"Ark Encounter" Opens Today

Started by stromboli, July 07, 2016, 09:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on July 22, 2016, 08:53:36 AM
Yes. critical thinking not wanted or needed here. Every time I see people queued up for stuff like Ham's ark, the sound of sheep baaing in a pasture comes back from my past.
My cousins rant about "atheistic science" on the Internet.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Lol. I live in a mobile home and my gay neighbor occasionally refers to me as a redneck. I point out to him he lives in one as well. Conversation over. Just waiting for the earthquake that will wipe it out. Hopefully I'll get to see a Mormon temple or two go down with it.

Unbeliever

Fools and their money are being parted by con artists like Ham and his ilk. I guess that's why God made so many fools...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 22, 2016, 06:11:25 PM
Fools and their money are being parted by con artists like Ham and his ilk. I guess that's why God made so many fools...
Well, he could hardly create smart people. We've demonstrated ourselves to be smarter than him on many occasions, like that whole science thing that blows his Bronze Age 'knowledge' of the world out of the water.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Munch

I'm awaiting the wood root from the untreated wood to spread.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on July 22, 2016, 08:30:18 PM
I'm awaiting the wood root from the untreated wood to spread.
You got right to the rot of the matter there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

reasonist

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 22, 2016, 07:32:04 PM
Well, he could hardly create smart people. We've demonstrated ourselves to be smarter than him on many occasions, like that whole science thing that blows his Bronze Age 'knowledge' of the world out of the water.

Neil Tyson pointed out that our DNA is 99% identical to chimps. That one percent difference enables us to send the Hubble telescope into deep space, create poetry and compose symphonies, master quantum physics and design architecture. And that despite the fact we use only 10% of our cranial capacity. He also states that the odds of other life in the universe, is a high probability. Now imagine there is intelligent life out there that is even only 1% ahead of us. A two year old could win the Nobel price in physics, vast knowledge would be innate in infants, questions we have from the origins of life, dark matter etc. would all be common knowledge, harmonious co-operation and peaceful co-existence would be a given. All made possible by 1% difference in the DNA!
While here on Earth we kill people for thousands of years mostly because of an invisible and imaginary friend in the sky. Some of us decapitate or blow up innocent brothers and sisters of the same species in the name of a deity and we fight wars for resources, power and money. Sad really that we can't jump over a couple of steps in our evolution and advance at least that 1%. Wishful thinking on my part...
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

stromboli

I just realized. They could have built another NASCAR venue with that money. Loads more money into the pockets of billionaire developers. Loads more hydrocarbon in the atmosphere. After the ark tanks, might become the centerpiece for the track. Premium stands on the side of the ark, lots of room for restaurants inside. Sound like a win/win to me.

stromboli

Have you noticed that "Ark Encounter" has almost completely fallen off the radar? I spend time following topics on the internet and the media, and it has not received any press since the first few days of opening. Ken Ham has demonstrated in the past that he wants very much to be in the news and highly visible. Interesting. I think this might be telling, that the ship might be sinking this soon.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on August 14, 2016, 10:22:54 AM
Have you noticed that "Ark Encounter" has almost completely fallen off the radar? I spend time following topics on the internet and the media, and it has not received any press since the first few days of opening. Ken Ham has demonstrated in the past that he wants very much to be in the news and highly visible. Interesting. I think this might be telling, that the ship might be sinking this soon.
Nah, God will destroy it with fire, like he promised.

And then Ken will blame atheists arsonists.
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 14, 2016, 11:11:46 AM
Nah, God will destroy it with fire, like he promised.

And then Ken will blame atheists arsonists.

Assuming nobody gets killed, it would be kind of humorous seeing nothing but the steel framework left afterward. Highly ironic.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on August 14, 2016, 12:19:31 PM
Assuming nobody gets killed, it would be kind of humorous seeing nothing but the steel framework left afterward. Highly ironic.
How about just "one person"?
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: stromboli on July 26, 2016, 01:53:27 PM
I just realized. They could have built another NASCAR venue with that money. Loads more money into the pockets of billionaire developers. Loads more hydrocarbon in the atmosphere. After the ark tanks, might become the centerpiece for the track. Premium stands on the side of the ark, lots of room for restaurants inside. Sound like a win/win to me.

Probably not. It cost more than $150 million to build Kentucky speedway in 2000. Daytona speedway spent a quarter billion on upgrades to their facility last year. It would be at least $250 million to build one today. To date Ham has only raised about $100 million for the Ark Park. Interestingly enough Bill Nye is partially responsible for Ham getting the park opened. Bond sales were too low until his debate with Ham. The debate boosted the bond sales enough for Ham to hit his financing goals.

Plus a new track in Kentucky would probably be as much a financial bust as the Ark Park. That part of the country is what NASCAR calls saturated as far as races go already. If you want to build a new NASCAR track you need to build it in the Northwest.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 14, 2016, 01:01:49 PMInterestingly enough Bill Nye is partially responsible for Ham getting the park opened. Bond sales were too low until his debate with Ham. The debate boosted the bond sales enough for Ham to hit his financing goals.
This is why he agreed to the debate. As several well-known atheists have stated, in one fashion or another, "It would look great on his resume, not so good on mine."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Reasonist ... ever see the movie, Baby Geniuses? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.