News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"Ark Encounter" Opens Today

Started by stromboli, July 07, 2016, 09:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

What a waste of money, energy, time, man power...etc. Are there any interactive stuff in it or is it just built for going around and looking at it?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

21CIconoclast

reasonist,

Well, if one is to try and use logic in this discussion (*cough*), he had to include 16 pairs of termites, otherwise, they wouldn't exist today.  Not to worry about the termites attacking the Ark because he had to sacrifice 14 of them to Yahweh god, remember?  Therefore while the waters dried up, he had to save a pair of them so they could propagate in an incestuous manner over time. 

When a mosquito bit Noah, why didn't he take the initiative of swatting the rest of them so they would be so annoying today? Damn.

“When Christians understand why you dismiss all the other gods in the Before Common Era, then you will understand why I dismiss your serial killer god named Yahweh.”

widdershins

I just LOVE the graphic at the bottom of the OP.  Good stuff.
This sentence is a lie...

Gawdzilla Sama

God can do the Rapture, right? Why couldn't he just wag his wienie at Earth and make all the humans go into LEO?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hakurei Reimu

You know, creationist twats often forget that plants are alive, and they can drown. A global flood would have killed off the entire population of trees and soil-bound plants on this planet, quickly rendering Earth a dead world as animals coming off the Ark would have nothing to eat but each other. They, too, would have to be on the Ark, and they can't walk to Noah and furthermore couldn't walk back to their original homes. Did the animals bring seed bags with them as they came and went? How did they keep the damn pigeons out of the corn?

Anyway, if a global flood happened, there would be a worldwide disruption in dendrochronological columns somewhere around 2000 BCE, where new post-flood trees do not have any rings in common with old pre-flood trees. This is exactly what we don't find. Indeed, we have fully anchored spans a little over 11,000 years, which, by the way, covers the entire period of the YEC fantasy. Yes, apparently there were trees a thousand or more years before God created heaven and Earth. Not only that, there are probable trees that have lived through the flood (when they shouldn't have), the bristlecone pine specimens Amen (5,065 years old), Prometheus (4,844 years old when felled in 1964), and Methuselah (4,847 years old). Clonal trees get even older â€" Pando is somewhere between 80,000-1 million years old.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

21CIconoclast

Hakurei Reimu,

But, but, but, Yahweh god's creation in only approximately 6000 years ago.  In Luke 3:23-38, it goes from the mythical Jesus back to Adam, a period of approximately 4000 years.  Subsequent to the bible character Jesus until present day is approximately 2000 years. This totals out that everything created by Yahweh is only approximately 6000 years old! Facetiously, you need to add these biblical axioms to your equations *cough.*

This is what pseudo-christians have to believe, and what is abuse, is that their children are indoctrinated with this kind of crap and have so say about it!

“When Christians understand why you dismiss all the other gods in the Before Common Era, then you will understand why I dismiss your serial killer god named Yahweh.”

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 11, 2016, 08:27:34 PM
You know, creationist twats often forget that plants are alive, and they can drown. A global flood would have killed off the entire population of trees and soil-bound plants on this planet, quickly rendering Earth a dead world as animals coming off the Ark would have nothing to eat but each other. They, too, would have to be on the Ark, and they can't walk to Noah and furthermore couldn't walk back to their original homes. Did the animals bring seed bags with them as they came and went? How did they keep the damn pigeons out of the corn?

Anyway, if a global flood happened, there would be a worldwide disruption in dendrochronological columns somewhere around 2000 BCE, where new post-flood trees do not have any rings in common with old pre-flood trees. This is exactly what we don't find. Indeed, we have fully anchored spans a little over 11,000 years, which, by the way, covers the entire period of the YEC fantasy. Yes, apparently there were trees a thousand or more years before God created heaven and Earth. Not only that, there are probable trees that have lived through the flood (when they shouldn't have), the bristlecone pine specimens Amen (5,065 years old), Prometheus (4,844 years old when felled in 1964), and Methuselah (4,847 years old). Clonal trees get even older â€" Pando is somewhere between 80,000-1 million years old.

Well, the waters were there before God created anything. Maybe there were trees there too. Maybe God came from the tree, and we've been worshiping the wrong creator this whole time. Or the Bible is full of crap and people are stupid for believing in it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Solomon Zorn

I don't feel like re-reading the story of the flood, at the moment, but didn't Noah build it with only the help of his three sons? So four guys in ancient Mesopotamia, built that enormous fucking boat all by themselves, with the tools available at the time.  :liar: 

And you know I can't resist posting this poem again:

“The Water”
Solomon Zorn

Noah's ark was far too small,
Never could have held them all.
Far-off species would have needed
Shelter till the flood receded.
One thing I would like to know:
Where did all the water go?

Rain for forty days and nights,
Thirty-thousand feet in height,
Water rose around the earth,
Flooded its entire girth,
Killing everything that grows.

Such a total saturation,
Flooding all of God's creation,
Would have killed the vegetation,
Changed the ocean's salination.
Fossil records do not show:

Long before the dawn of sight,
Water has refracted light.
Spectrum could not first appear,
As the flooding disappeared.
Misty rainbows always glowed.

Noah's story seems unlikely.
Doesn't it seem much more likely,
There was never such a deluge,
Nor an ark to give them refuge?
One thing they can never show:
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

stromboli

This from a Christian blogger:

https://thimblerigsark.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/my-review-of-ken-hams-ark-encounter-theme-park/

(Long article. Please read it)

TL;DR

QuoteThe Creation Museum and the Ark Encounter both seem to suffer from the same problem that plagues most of the Christian films I review. They want to be evangelistic, but their impact outside of the faithful appears to be negligible.

Incidentally, I freely admit that I could be wrong about this. There could be scores of people who have come to faith as a result of their experiences with the Creation Museum, and there could be scores who will because of the Ark Encounter. If so, and if someone would like to provide evidence that I’m wrong about the evangelistic impact of the Creation Museum on skeptics, then I’ll gladly retract this point and have my positives outweigh my negatives.

4. The Cost

While I admire the tenacity, determination, and heart for evangelization of the people behind the Ark Encounter, I’ve also struggled with the fact that they are doing an Ark Encounter at all. Such a huge sum of money for building a theme park? My struggle finally came to a head one morning last May when I opened Twitter and found an AiG Tweet touting the benefits of building a Noah’s Ark theme park right next to a Tweet from J.K. Rowling’s charity Lumos, talking about their push to raise money to help orphans.

Seeing the two money-raising efforts side-by-side took my breath away. On the one hand, as a Christian, I respect AiG’s effort to share the Christian faith. On the other hand, as a Christian, I’m horrified that believers have struggled and fought and spent years raising an enormous amount of money to build a for-profit theme park replica of Noah’s Ark.

And it warps a part of my brain that it’s been done in the name of Christian ministry.

At this stage in the project it may be a tired argument (although I wouldn’t call it a stupid argument, as some have), but I can’t help but think what else could have been done with that money that might have had even more of an impact, if not on propagating the Creationist viewpoint, at least in sharing the Gospel and demonstrating a valuable apologetic, by meeting the physical needs of the poor and sick.

My final thought on the Ark Encounter: would I recommend a visit?

Christian or not, the ark itself is magnificent and is really something to be seen. But considering the cost of a ticket, there needs to be more going on to make it worth the expense, especially if you’re bringing a family. Once the park gets the zip lines up and running, once they get a few more (hopefully entertaining) displays in the ark, once they get a few more animals in the petting zoo, I’d say give it a go.

This is true, even if you’re not a Christian, or if you are a Christian but not a young-earth Creationist. Just be prepared to talk to your kids about what they will see, and to talk about why they will be seeing it. It can lead to some really interesting conversations about different belief systems, and different ways of interpreting Scripture. And yes, Bill Nye, it can even lead to discussions about science.

At least it did with my kids!

â€"

And if you do decide to go, and you agree with me on the charity/cost issues, then do the job that AiG should be doing and donate a matching amount to the tickets you purchased to a worthy charity of your own choice, preferably one that works in Kentucky.

Bottom line- religion and common sense do not live in the same room. A hundred million+ dollars in the hands of a truly charitable man could do wonders in terms of lives improved and things accomplished world wide. This leaves me no doubt that Ham is nothing but a huckster selling ice to Eskimos.

Compare this to a guy like Elon Musk with a real vision for sustainable futures. Well color me atheist, ese.  :2thumbs:

Blackleaf

Give $90,000,000 to help with one of the millions of problems in the world...or use it to try to convince people that you're right. Tough call. Sure, the first one would make a tangible difference in the world and help alleviate the consistently dropping reputation of Christians, but let's face it, Christians love being hated and "persecuted." In the end, nothing is more important than being right.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 21, 2016, 02:00:25 PM
Give $90,000,000 to help with one of the millions of problems in the world...or use it to try to convince people that you're right. Tough call. Sure, the first one would make a tangible difference in the world and help alleviate the consistently dropping reputation of Christians, but let's face it, Christians love being hated and "persecuted." In the end, nothing is more important than being right.
Kentucky ranks among the top states  in sucking up Federal assistance money. $90 million would go a ways in making the state less parasitic.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 11, 2016, 08:27:34 PM

Just remember, applying logic to any of this will just have a creationist say back to you "God did it", so in they would say god made the flood, god then made all the trees and plant life grow back. no matter what logic and reason you have, they can't process it when 'a wizard did it' is there thought pattern.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

stromboli

This is a picture from the Ark's interior. that bedroom? Give me a break. They have never been inside a real ship, unless it was a luxury cruise liner. Cabins of necessity would be confined simply because of the room needed elsewhere. Other pictures are just as silly. I predicted awhile ago that a lot of internal bracing would be needed for a ship that size.

Viola. Several thousand animals ought to fit in there just fine. the design is closer to the accommodations of a cruise ship than a ship to haul and maintain animals.

More pics:
http://www.wave3.com/story/32362858/inside-look-at-the-ark-encounter

Gawdzilla Sama

It's not about truth, it's about reinforcement. Believers have routinely ignored the fatal flaws in their beliefs no matter what those beliefs are. Cafeteria Christians are particularly in need of any flotsam or jetsam that will help them hang on to the idea that they're not complete idiots.
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 22, 2016, 08:14:40 AM
It's not about truth, it's about reinforcement. Believers have routinely ignored the fatal flaws in their beliefs no matter what those beliefs are. Cafeteria Christians are particularly in need of any flotsam or jetsam that will help them hang on to the idea that they're not complete idiots.

Yes. critical thinking not wanted or needed here. Every time I see people queued up for stuff like Ham's ark, the sound of sheep baaing in a pasture comes back from my past.