Atheist/Agnostic Decorum, Protocol, Manners,.............Rules of Engagement?

Started by Flanker1Six, May 24, 2016, 12:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flanker1Six

As the only "fallen" (that I'm aware of) in my family; all of whom always say grace before meals; this article caught my eye. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/carolyn-hax-atheist-daughter-in-law-doesnt-want-hers-to-be-a-house-of-worship/2016/05/23/4ae07286-1ec1-11e6-8c7b-6931e66333e7_story.html

If any of them wanted to say grace over a meal at my crib.......I have to admit it wouldn't bother me any, or mean anything to me.  I'm comfortable and secure with my view point, and they have a right to theirs; as long as they don't push it on me (and they don't/haven't).   QED.   

The one thing that struck me with the letter writers issue is the alleged insistence of Thumper Dad that everyone else bow and scrape with him before the Dog ("especially" if he did it at my place!).  I'm afraid I'd have to verbally light the boy's ass up, and get him right with Jezuz if that happened.   But, that's  just me.   

Anyone else have a take on it?       

doorknob

For some reason this seems like man bites dog for sake of news. But what do I know.

at any rate I find myself in this position in my moms house. But she doesn't demand every one bow their heads. I just sit there silently for the prayer. I don't mind them praying in front of me just don't force this on me.

marom1963

Quote from: Flanker1Six on May 24, 2016, 12:23:28 PM
As the only "fallen" (that I'm aware of) in my family; all of whom always say grace before meals; this article caught my eye. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/carolyn-hax-atheist-daughter-in-law-doesnt-want-hers-to-be-a-house-of-worship/2016/05/23/4ae07286-1ec1-11e6-8c7b-6931e66333e7_story.html

If any of them wanted to say grace over a meal at my crib.......I have to admit it wouldn't bother me any, or mean anything to me.  I'm comfortable and secure with my view point, and they have a right to theirs; as long as they don't push it on me (and they don't/haven't).   QED.   

The one thing that struck me with the letter writers issue is the alleged insistence of Thumper Dad that everyone else bow and scrape with him before the Dog ("especially" if he did it at my place!).  I'm afraid I'd have to verbally light the boy's ass up, and get him right with Jezuz if that happened.   But, that's  just me.   

Anyone else have a take on it?       
At someone else's house, I'll keep quiet while grace is said. At my house, grace can be said - quietly. I won't participate in either place. At their house, I'll leave, if asked. At my house, they'll leave, if asked ... I buried my parents. That is, that was the last time that I undertook to have any kind of religious services done. That was for them; that was what they wanted. I'm done w/religion.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

gomtuu77

In most cases, it's probably less about joining in or otherwise having anything forced on you, but it's really just about respecting whoever your hosts happen to be.  A person can bow their head and close their eyes without participating in prayer to a God in which they don't believe.  I would certainly do whatever I could to make myself as inconspicuous as possible without also violating my conscience at the same time.  However, I happen to be a Christian, and I don't expect Christian behavior from non-Christians.  So there's probably room for each party to make a few concessions or to work harder at being respectful and understanding of the people with whom they differ.

In His Grip,

Gomtuu77
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry? -

stromboli

Personally its a battle I don't fight. If someone- I have several religious in laws and relatives, among them a Mormon Bishop- if they want grace said, I invite them to do so. If they ask me to say grace I merely point out that I am an atheist, but go ahead if you wish.

GSOgymrat

I don't care if people pray, I'll just be quiet and bow my head. I don't even mind if my family has a religious ceremony for me when I die. I will be dead so it won't matter to me.

widdershins

My mom is still Pentecostal, but she has never been pushy about it.  She says grace every time, but she doesn't demand anyone else participate.  She just silently says her prayer to herself, even when she has guests over to her house.  My mom rules!
This sentence is a lie...

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.