SCOTUS strikes down Texas anti-abortion law!!

Started by Atheon, June 28, 2016, 12:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

I've been enjoying watching the religious fundies flip out about this ruling! Love it, love it, love it!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

AllPurposeAtheist

Now now..Stop persecuting the Christians.. This is the very same court that decided its ok to bribe public officials..
https://www.thenation.com/article/the-supreme-court-that-allowed-corporations-to-buy-elections-has-now-approved-the-bribing-of-governors/

The Trump of the world rejoices..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: Atheon on June 29, 2016, 12:25:06 AM
I've been enjoying watching the religious fundies flip out about this ruling! Love it, love it, love it!

It would be more fun if it didn't involve some kind of dangerous blowback.  As we have seen, the religious right does not like it when they don't get it their way, and their responses are often unpredictable.  As in gay marriage, it's not really over when the Supreme Court rules.  Unfavorable rulings to the Christian religion open the door to hurt feelings, feelings of victimization, and realization that they can sometimes lose control.  And that leads to even crazier laws, more absurd arguments, and can end in violence.  Not that you should not enjoy the moment and savor the rights we have worked for.

AllPurposeAtheist

Whether anyone realizes it or not the GOP has no interest in actually ending and outlawing legal abortion because it always gives them something, no matter how absurd to hang over liberals heads come election time. If abortion were outlawed again by SCOTUS THE gop would lose that ability to fire up the base with that one issue. Even when they had the wh, both houses of congress and the majority in the SCOTUS they didn't overturn it. It's much more profitable for them to go to the base and beg for money on the premise of stopping abortion than to actually end abortion.     
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jack89

While I'm unabashedly pro-life, I think the Texas abortion access law was a deceitful way to go about trying to reduce abortions.  People see what they're doing and it hurts the pro-life movement in the long run. 

Baruch

Don't worry, only silver bullets can kill Wolfman and Evangelicals ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

widdershins

Quote from: Atheon on June 29, 2016, 12:25:06 AM
Let me guess, the quotes say something about "unelected judges" and fail to add the part about how those "unelected judges" are set up in the Constitution.
This sentence is a lie...

Hydra009

Quote from: Jack89 on June 29, 2016, 10:54:42 AMWhile I'm unabashedly pro-life, I think the Texas abortion access law was a deceitful way to go about trying to reduce abortions.
Yeah, there are way more effective ways of reducing abortions than trying to block access to abortion providers.  Like birth control and family planning.  It's great that the pro-life movement is so supportive of that stuff.  Could you imagine the hypocrisy if they weren't?

Nonsensei

Quote from: SGOS on June 29, 2016, 09:20:57 AM
It would be more fun if it didn't involve some kind of dangerous blowback.  As we have seen, the religious right does not like it when they don't get it their way, and their responses are often unpredictable.  As in gay marriage, it's not really over when the Supreme Court rules.  Unfavorable rulings to the Christian religion open the door to hurt feelings, feelings of victimization, and realization that they can sometimes lose control.  And that leads to even crazier laws, more absurd arguments, and can end in violence.  Not that you should not enjoy the moment and savor the rights we have worked for.

I'm not too worried. The religious right took gay marriage in the ass, so to speak, with nary a peep.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Atheon

A significant majority of Americans have consistently remained pro-choice over the years (something like 70% of the population), so I'm not worried when it comes to public opinion. My main fear is a far right Republican president appointing Supreme Court justices, who will ignore the Constitution and vote on the side of ideology.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on June 29, 2016, 11:08:50 PM
A significant majority of Americans have consistently remained pro-choice over the years (something like 70% of the population), so I'm not worried when it comes to public opinion. My main fear is a far right Republican president appointing Supreme Court justices, who will ignore the Constitution and vote on the side of ideology.

Or a Republican Congress could do anything they want (including outlaw most abortions) with a large enough majority to sustain any Presidential veto.  And they can struggle and overcome any SCOTUS opposition to.  There are a lot of rights that don't actually exist in the Constitution (unless it is amended).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

TopCat

Why are christians so obsessed with abortion anyway. I know my family always talk about abortion being murder but what about miscarriage? I use to be against abortion too and thought women who had them was going to hell. But I finding out its not that bad.

Baruch

Look at the big picture.  There are always people pressing for totalitarianism.  Sometimes this pressure is sexist ... usually men in general want to have a totalitarian edge over women in general.  It isn't always the rich against the poor, or the military against the civilians.  People who want to put undo restrictions on women (and I am not a personal supporter of convenience abortions) are assholes.  The majority of humanity are assholes of one flavor or another.  And it cuts both Right and Left.  There are those that would demand a hijab for every woman, and those who demand that no hijab be allowed.  Both are assholes.  Neo-lib vs Neo-con ... both bad.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jack89

Quote from: TopCat on June 30, 2016, 08:40:04 PM
Why are christians so obsessed with abortion anyway. I know my family always talk about abortion being murder but what about miscarriage? I use to be against abortion too and thought women who had them was going to hell. But I finding out its not that bad.
I can only speak from the Catholic perspective, but it's centered on the belief that the dignity of the human person is the foundation of a moral society.  For various reasons, the concept of a human person begins at conception not only for the sake of the fetus, but the emotional and mental welfare of the mother as well as the rest of society.  The belief in innate human dignity, that all people have value, is the foundation for most Catholic guidelines on sex, masturbation, contraception, homosexuality, etc.  It's not just because "God says so". 

Even when I was an atheist, I disapproved of elective abortions.  When I was young and first married my wife had a miscarriage at home and when I arrived she was crying and reverently holding a folded paper towel.  She opened it up and showed me what we had hoped would be our first child, a tiny fetus around 10-12 weeks along that fit in the palm of her hand.  I've read the various arguments on what defines a person, and some sound reasonable, but to us, that was our child.  Google it and see what a 12 week old fetus looks like.  I believe we need to have reverence for both the mother and the fetus during a pregnancy.  It's a reflection of how we view the innate worth of people in general. 

TopCat

Don't know how to quote now. But I too held these beliefs. My family are baptists. So of course they think abortion is murder and women are going to hell. The saddest thing to me is when they said rape babies are meant to be placed in the womb and shouldn't be killed. It's sad because I can't imagine being raped and then getting pregnant from it. I know someone close to me who was molested as a child.

After questioning stuff and still questioning stuff I found out that it's not all black and white. The images aren't abortions at all. They're miscarriages. Which got me thinking why would God allow a miscarriage but hate abortion? Miscarriage babies could've found a cure for cancer. But people don't say that. They say they're with the Lord. But abortion is so evil that God hates it. That God will punish the woman for aborting and the child could've been the next President or cure for cancer. This doesn't make sense to me. A miscarriage is called a spontaneous abortion in medical terms. Even women who have miscarriages have abortions called a D&C. Which to me was shocking.
I also feel guilty for standing outside abortion clinics screaming and yelling at women. I was forced when I was a kid. I didn't understand it. All I was told was the women are going to kill their babies. Now that I'm older and researching things it makes me feel bad that I did that. There's also a lot of abortions going on in the christian community. This girl from my old church was forced to place her daughter for adoption but after had two more pregnancies she aborted.