SCOTUS strikes down Texas anti-abortion law!!

Started by Atheon, June 28, 2016, 12:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

A great victory for American freedom!

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/27/politics/supreme-court-abortion-texas/index.html

It also underscores the importance of the Supreme Court, and that the prospect of Supreme Court appointments needs to be a prime consideration in November's election.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Great news!

That bill was essentially an abortion ban by making it extremely difficult to find an abortion provider under the flimsy pretense of ensuring top-quality care.  Now we get to endure rhetoric from conservatives about how satanic activist judges just made abortion clinics unsafe in our war against women.   :rolleyes:

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

The clinic restrictions were wildly naked in their attempt at hiding their true motivations.  Claiming they wanted to protect women sounded much too ridiculous to believe.  Pro choice advocates knew it, and come on, you know that pro life advocates knew it as well.  You can usually get people to believe any lie, but some lies test the limits of human intelligence more than others.  The Supreme Court appropriately stopped short at calling out, "Liar, liar. Pants on fire!"  But instead proclaimed the law as an "undue burden" on women seeking abortions.  But I can't help but think that "Pants on fire" may have been a more accurate assessment of the legislation.

Nonsensei

Restricting women's rights to thier own bodies under the pretense of protecting them is a form of evil that indicates self awareness. A lot of these anti-abortion idiots at least have the excuse of simply not understanding the harm their viewpoint does.

But not these fuckfaces in Texas who passed this law. They know the harm they were doing, and they knew they needed to couch it in just the right way to get it on the books. They absolutely don't give a fuck about women in the slightest, but they adapted to modern view to slip their special brand of hatred into modern society. We may be looking at the last gasps of actual institutionalized misogyny in the West.

These fuckers are the kind of people who could get hit by a bus, and in doing so make the world a significantly better place.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

stromboli

The best part of the decision is that it is another dagger in the heart of the Christian Nationalists. Will be celebrating with some cold brew and barbecue this weekend.

widdershins

Quote from: Nonsensei on June 28, 2016, 08:32:21 AM
Restricting women's rights to thier own bodies under the pretense of protecting them is a form of evil that indicates self awareness. A lot of these anti-abortion idiots at least have the excuse of simply not understanding the harm their viewpoint does.

But not these fuckfaces in Texas who passed this law. They know the harm they were doing, and they knew they needed to couch it in just the right way to get it on the books. They absolutely don't give a fuck about women in the slightest, but they adapted to modern view to slip their special brand of hatred into modern society. We may be looking at the last gasps of actual institutionalized misogyny in the West.

These fuckers are the kind of people who could get hit by a bus, and in doing so make the world a significantly better place.
This has actually been the norm for the right for as long as I can remember.  This slimy method of disguising a law meant to restrict people to their way of thinking as a law meant to "protect" or "increase freedom" is the norm for the Republican party and has been for decades.  There was a moment of silence bill in Illinois which was totally NOT about school prayer, yet before the vote many of them were singing "Hello, school prayer, our old friend.  It's time to vote on you again."  That was nearly 20 years ago.  Trickle Down Economics, voter fraud bills, religious freedom bills...This is just business as usual for Republicans.  The Christian right can't get their way by being honest, but fortunately they have no problem whatsoever lying so long as they get their way.
This sentence is a lie...

stromboli

Supreme Court also spurns abortion restrictions in 2 other states

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-abortion-idUSKCN0ZE1MJ

QuoteReverberations from the U.S. Supreme Court's major ruling backing abortion rights were felt on Tuesday as the justices rejected bids by Mississippi and Wisconsin to revive restrictions on abortion doctors matching those struck down in Texas on Monday.

The laws in Mississippi and Wisconsin required doctors to have "admitting privileges," a type of difficult-to-obtain formal affiliation, with a hospital within 30 miles (48 km) of the abortion clinic. Both were put on hold by lower courts.

The Mississippi law would have shut down the only clinic in the state if it had gone into effect.

"This is what we've been waiting on," Shannon Brewer, director of the Jackson Women's Health Organization clinic in Mississippi, said in a telephone interview. "We've been on pins and needles not knowing when this ruling would come down. This is a wonderful victory for us."

In addition, Alabama's attorney general said late on Monday that his state would abandon defense of its own "admitting privileges" requirement for abortion doctors, in light of the Supreme Court's ruling.

Having a good news day. Would like to meet a right winger today just to point my finger and laugh. :biggrin:

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on June 28, 2016, 12:20:54 PM
Supreme Court also spurns abortion restrictions in 2 other states

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-abortion-idUSKCN0ZE1MJ

Having a good news day. Would like to meet a right winger today just to point my finger and laugh. :biggrin:

This won't be the end of it, although it is tempting to gloat at this point.  5 to 3!  That's like landslide in the Supreme Court.  It may not be with less controversial issues.  I don't follow the Court that closely.

TomFoolery

Quote from: SGOS on June 28, 2016, 12:26:26 PM
This won't be the end of it, although it is tempting to gloat at this point.  5 to 3!  That's like landslide in the Supreme Court.  It may not be with less controversial issues.  I don't follow the Court that closely.

If Scalia hadn't died it would have been 5-4, so...

What I find interesting is that recently, Oklahoma tried to go so far as to push a law through to prosecute doctors for performing abortions. They have one of the most dipshit conservative governors (Mary Fallin) in the country and even she vetoed it because she knew lawmakers went too far. Not too far for her personal beliefs, but she knew the second it was signed into law, it would be struck down, and the court would have more reason to look at Oklahoma's abortion restrictions more closely. Even dumbass Gov. Fallin recognizes that rights are a thing best stripped away slowly and piecemeal so as to avoid drawing too much attention.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 28, 2016, 12:46:30 PM
If Scalia hadn't died it would have been 5-4, so...

What I find interesting is that recently, Oklahoma tried to go so far as to push a law through to prosecute doctors for performing abortions. They have one of the most dipshit conservative governors (Mary Fallin) in the country and even she vetoed it because she knew lawmakers went too far. Not too far for her personal beliefs, but she knew the second it was signed into law, it would be struck down, and the court would have more reason to look at Oklahoma's abortion restrictions more closely. Even dumbass Gov. Fallin recognizes that rights are a thing best stripped away slowly and piecemeal so as to avoid drawing too much attention.

Prosecuting doctors kind of puts the real intentions in a clearer perspective.  Think of that as a measure to protect the health of women, and it's even harder to buy it.  Plus it makes it illegal to provide a perfectly legal service.  That's so completely absurd that it starts making the Texas law sound reasonable.

TomFoolery

Quote from: SGOS on June 28, 2016, 01:01:53 PM
Prosecuting doctors kind of puts the real intentions in a clearer perspective.  Think of that as a measure to protect the health of women, and it's even harder to buy it.  Plus it makes it illegal to provide a perfectly legal service.  That's so completely absurd that it starts making the Texas law sound reasonable.

Which also works. Politicians in Texas can point to Oklahoma and say, "See, we're not anti-abortion like those guys. We're obviously pro-health." It's everything in degrees.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on June 28, 2016, 08:06:32 AMThe clinic restrictions were wildly naked in their attempt at hiding their true motivations.  Claiming they wanted to protect women sounded much too ridiculous to believe.  Pro choice advocates knew it, and come on, you know that pro life advocates knew it as well.
Yep.  Both the pro-HB2 protestors and lawmakers went on and on about the sanctity of life regarding the impending ruling, which only makes sense if we're talking about opposition to abortion itself rather than ensuring high-quality abortion care.  These idiots make the Intelligent Design camp look positively cunning in comparison.

Flanker1Six

TO: Billy Roy Bob-Admin Asst

SUBJ: Upset Texas Abortion Law Supporters

Bill,

It's come to my attention a significant number of supporters of the recently struck down Texas Abortion Clinic Law are seriously butt hurt over it.  Please ensure they are immediately referred to the HR Citizen Services Program--specifically our recently suspended Turkish Sub Contractor.  Given his specialty; the "disgruntled" and he should be a great fit.  We need to get these citizens back to normal ASAP!  Thanks! 

The Boss   :beachbooze:

widdershins

Quote from: Flanker1Six on June 28, 2016, 03:27:00 PM

TO: Billy Roy Bob-Admin Asst

SUBJ: Upset Texas Abortion Law Supporters

Bill,

It's come to my attention a significant number of supporters of the recently struck down Texas Abortion Clinic Law are seriously butt hurt over it.  Please ensure they are immediately referred to the HR Citizen Services Program--specifically our recently suspended Turkish Sub Contractor.  Given his specialty; the "disgruntled" and he should be a great fit.  We need to get these citizens back to normal ASAP!  Thanks! 

The Boss   :beachbooze:
Well, you can't really blame them for being upset what with the women whose health will be affected by this and all.  I have it on good authority (the court proceedings, actually) that the number of women whose health would have been positively impacted had this bill been in place all along approaches zero, so, that is WAY more than a negative, much smaller number which we can presume to be the base, you know, because we want to and it makes things sound better.
This sentence is a lie...