News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

UK votes to Leave EU

Started by drunkenshoe, June 24, 2016, 03:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack89

It's really not surprising that London voted to remain while the rest of England, for the most part, voted to leave.  London has a very high foreign born population, and it makes sense for immigrants to have the "remain" sentiment. 

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 24, 2016, 02:07:57 PM
I found this entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgKHSNqxa8

I love that man. This is perfect. And too many things to pull from and write down here. Too late.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: Jack89 on June 24, 2016, 03:45:36 PM
It's really not surprising that London voted to remain while the rest of England, for the most part, voted to leave.  London has a very high foreign born population, and it makes sense for immigrants to have the "remain" sentiment.
Immigration seemed to have been a major factor in the Brexit vote.  Let's hope the UK isn't coming down with a case of the Trumps.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Jack89 on June 24, 2016, 03:45:36 PM

Yes, you are right. But I thought that way, because don't you think London is also the place of the British Empire kind of nationalism and top class mentality over Europe? that's why I thought if anyone is going to go Leave, they'd be the first.   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Although nobody is reading, I have been screaming about the consequences of the so called immigration and refugee crisis horror stories media campaign and how bad it would be, but I was wrong and never thought it would be this bad with a capital B. Or potentially a capital C of a Catastrophe.

Shiranu

I was going to say earlier and beat to it that this seems to be an English stand of the Trump; xenophobic, nationalistic, fea mongering lies used to rile up normally normal people into being so afraid of the rest of the world, and that they are superiour. England, like the United States, is unfortunately culturally historically predisposed for that sentiment because of its imperial history and isolation.

The world needs more unity, but black hearted cowards managed to frighten an entire  relevant nation into isolating themselves further. Hopefully this will wake the Scots and Northern Irish into realising they are worth more than being England's vassals and take more pride in their selves and their culture.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

stromboli

There is a rise of fascism throughout Europe. Nationalism and fascism go together. The EU represents open borders and free trade. A Europe rife with borders and conflicting national interests harkens back all the way to 1914. The efforts since then, especially after WW2, was a common market and common trade and employment based not nationally but internationally.

I don't personally see anything good coming out of it.

AllPurposeAtheist

Hey.. Maybe Trump will decide to leave the US now. This is about like certain states in the US spouting cecession AS IF any one of them could possibly survive as nations on their own.
I suggest we let Texas leave, but first we get every fucking penny ever invested in Texas back including every electrical line, every ounce of paving for roads and anything else..
Fucking stupid fucks are going to get everything they deserve, nothing. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

drunkenshoe

The common air around in my community's social media.

The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/24/the-british-are-frantically-googling-what-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/

Quote"Even though I voted to leave, this morning I woke up and I just â€" the reality did actually hit me," one woman told the news channel ITV News. "If I'd had the opportunity to vote again, it would be to stay."

Not funny. Really.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 24, 2016, 04:06:07 PM
Yes, you are right. But I thought that way, because don't you think London is also the place of the British Empire kind of nationalism and top class mentality over Europe? that's why I thought if anyone is going to go Leave, they'd be the first.

Sorry, The City, the oldest corporation on Earth, runs London, not the Queen or Parliament, and they are ground zero for neoliberal one-world-ism.  That is why they have such a high-income foreign population.  Foreign born working class, who have been in England since the 50s, understand what new immigrants will do ... spoil what they already have spent decades building.  Mexican Americans feel the same way about the current illegals ... unless they are relatives of course ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 24, 2016, 08:23:31 PM
Hey.. Maybe Trump will decide to leave the US now. This is about like certain states in the US spouting cecession AS IF any one of them could possibly survive as nations on their own.
I suggest we let Texas leave, but first we get every fucking penny ever invested in Texas back including every electrical line, every ounce of paving for roads and anything else..
Fucking stupid fucks are going to get everything they deserve, nothing.

How about orderly shutdown of the current Federal government (in the US)?  Centralization just leads to imperialism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

NPR reported a poll that showed in addition to Londoners/vote stay and non-Londoners/vote leave, the vote was also divided by age, with younger voters voting to stay, and older voters voting to leave.  I don't know what that means.  Polls like this only tell us "what", not "why?"  Of course, we can speculate about it.

Also, in regards to speculation, the Brit that NPR was interviewing about that exit poll, said she thought a lot of people were so sure that Britain would vote to stay, they thoughtlessly marked "leave" just to counter the trend.  Then woke up the next morning wondering what they had done.  How she deduced this, she didn't explain, but it kind of fits with Brits googling EU to see what it was after they voted to exit.

marom1963

I'm glad for Britain. Now the other countries that have been aching to leave should get the balls and hold referendums. This way, the next time Chancellor Merkel wants to open up a border, she can open only the German border.

Re the comment about still having the Lords - hell, I'd put the hereditary peers back in. It was a shame to get rid of them. It's a good thing to have some members of parliament who do not answer to the ballot box and still others who do not owe their seats to politicians. Foolish to have removed them. The real reason that they were removed - by a Labour government - was that they tended to be Conservative and kept handing the L government defeats in the Upper House ... The public was foolish for having stood for it.

In memory of my maternal grandparents - God Save the Queen!
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR