News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Tough question for hardcore atheists

Started by brettw777, June 17, 2016, 06:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: brettw777 on June 17, 2016, 06:23:59 PMYou fly to a faraway planet like Jupiter. You get out of your spaceship and there before you is a brand new Mercedes Benz with a jamming stereo system. How did it get there? The way I see it, you only have two choices:

1. It evolved there from nothing.
2. It was built and put there by an intelligent being or force.

Which one do you believe it is? Now, reverse the location of where you are. Instead of going to Jupiter, you are now going to Earth and you see all that is here. How did it get here?

1. Everything here evolved here from nothing.
2. Everything here was built and put here by an intelligent being or force.

Is there another option I am missing? Your thoughts?
This isn't even apples and oranges. This is apples and Klingons. A car has nothing in common with life forms. Cars are artificially constructed, have no means of reproduction, and have completely interchangeable parts. A car from 100 years ago can be gutted and outfitted to perform mostly like a modern car.

Life forms are not artificially constructed, have an imperfect means of reproduction which results in anatomical changes across generations, and have few to no interchangeable parts. Those parts which are interchangeable often require wholly unnatural immune suppression to keep a life form's body from basically eating said parts. Life forms are also very inefficient compared to cars, needing to burn energy sources constantly or else risk permanent shutdown and inoperability. In 100% of cases, a machine can always be built to do a particular job better than any living thing.

No intelligent being would develop life for any practical purpose. Indeed, life has all the expected inefficiencies of a natural phenomenon. It was not designed to perform a task: it is clearly an emergent phenomenon, where chaos destroyed itself enough that it started to resemble something orderly.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 19, 2016, 09:46:53 PM
That is what is generally thought.  But the latest research seems to point to the hardcore to be like pomegranates; apples were not grown there. 
Who puts a bio-hazard in a nature park and has two naked teenagers as the only guests?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

JBCuzISaidSo

Quote from: brettw777 on June 17, 2016, 06:23:59 PM
This is obviously my first post here and really anxious to see how some of you might reply.  First, I am not actually an atheist. Second, I am not a Bible thumping Christian either though I wasted 12 good years of my life doing just that. I definitely do not believe in any man-made religions or their views on God.

I consider myself something of an agnostic but a 100% believer that there is some kind of higher power or force. I really don't have any doubts about that.  Let me get to my question which is only directed at hardcore atheists who are firm in their belief that we and everything came from whatever but not an intelligent being or force. It is not directed to agnostics.

You fly to a faraway planet like Jupiter. You get out of your spaceship and there before you is a brand new Mercedes Benz with a jamming stereo system. How did it get there? The way I see it, you only have two choices:

1. It evolved there from nothing.
2. It was built and put there by an intelligent being or force.

Which one do you believe it is? Now, reverse the location of where you are. Instead of going to Jupiter, you are now going to Earth and you see all that is here. How did it get here?

1. Everything here evolved here from nothing.
2. Everything here was built and put here by an intelligent being or force.

Is there another option I am missing? Your thoughts?

I know I'm late to the party, but your "premises" are amusing, at best.

Black and white, much?

It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

Atheon

A Mercedes is manmade, and shows all the hallmarks of being artifically formed. The Earth is natural, and shows all the hallmarks of being naturally formed.

The OP's question is nothing more than a variation of Paley's Watchmaker Argument, which has been debunked.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Quote from: JBCuzISaidSo on June 21, 2016, 09:21:30 PMI know I'm late to the party, but your "premises" are amusing, at best.

Black and white, much?
Also, if "an intelligent being or force" isn't the most blatantly obvious codeword for judeo-christian god, I don't know what is.  Why the need to hide behind vague language?  Oh right, to appeal to as many theists as possible and to keep up the appearances of this being a scientific discussion.  If you have to be really disingenuous to advance a position, it might be a crap position.

JBCuzISaidSo

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 21, 2016, 09:43:42 PM
Also, if "an intelligent being or force" isn't the most blatantly obvious codeword for judeo-christian god, I don't know what is.  Why the need to hide behind vague language?  Oh right, to appeal to as many theists as possible and to keep up the appearances of this being a scientific discussion.  If you have to be really disingenuous to advance a position, it might be a crap position.

Amen! In an actual thinking society, you simply can't start at the conclusion and work backwards. Unless you're religious?

It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

SGOS

Quote from: brettw777 on June 17, 2016, 06:23:59 PM
Now, reverse the location of where you are. Instead of going to Jupiter, you are now going to Earth and you see all that is here.

The Earth must have been designed by an intelligent hand to fit the Benz so perfectly.  It's a miracle.  The Mercedes would make no sense without all the lovely roads, gas stations, and most of all the drivers.  How did the Earth become so perfectly adapted for a Mercedes Benz?

But Jupiter?  That could not have been created by an intelligent designer.  So it must have been designed by a complete doofus.

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on June 22, 2016, 08:02:12 AM
The Earth must have been designed by an intelligent hand to fit the Benz so perfectly.  It's a miracle.  The Mercedes would make no sense without all the lovely roads, gas stations, and most of all the drivers.  How did the Earth become so perfectly adapted for a Mercedes Benz?

But Jupiter?  That could not have been created by an intelligent designer.  So it must have been designed by a complete doofus.

Hey hey- don't be dissing Jupiter. Think of all the lovely big shit that got sucked into that gravity well that could have been hitting us. Jupiter is like that big dumb older brother protecting his innocent little sister.

davesteve

Obviously, God made the cadillac for the pimps. It's all part of the evolution of prostitution.
The move to Jupiter was a move to expand business.

It's so easy on the mind to assume everything I don't understand, is part of some mysterious plan by a superior being.
My head gets hot when I think too much.

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on June 22, 2016, 08:15:03 AM
Hey hey- don't be dissing Jupiter. Think of all the lovely big shit that got sucked into that gravity well that could have been hitting us. Jupiter is like that big dumb older brother protecting his innocent little sister.

Except when Jupiter's gravity affected the orbit of the comet that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on June 21, 2016, 09:38:58 PM
A Mercedes is manmade, and shows all the hallmarks of being artifically formed. The Earth is natural, and shows all the hallmarks of being naturally formed.

The OP's question is nothing more than a variation of Paley's Watchmaker Argument, which has been debunked.

Internal vs external generation.  Cars don't make more cars, something outside of cars makes them.  People do make more people, something inside of people causes two people to make more people.  It isn't Giapetto.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 22, 2016, 08:51:43 AM
Except when Jupiter's gravity affected the orbit of the comet that wiped out the dinosaurs.

G-d got bored playing with dinosaurs after a couple 100 millions of years ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: JBCuzISaidSo on June 21, 2016, 11:38:52 PM
Amen! In an actual thinking society, you simply can't start at the conclusion and work backwards. Unless you're religious?

HIYA JB!! Good to see you again! Glad you're still around.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on June 22, 2016, 08:51:43 AM

Yeah, but just that one time.  :biggrin:

Unbeliever

Quote from: brettw777 on June 17, 2016, 07:10:58 PM
ROTFL!  I just cannot believe it! Someone suggests I might be a troll for asking a thought provoking question that no one has attempted to answer. Mark this day down. This is the first time someone has mentioned the word "troll" on the internet. That is a very original thought.

Yes, and you're probably a drive-by troll, as well. You're unlikely to post with any regularity, if you don't disappear entirely after your two lackluster posts.

We've answered such "questions" as this so many times that only very young people don't yet know the answers. I expect you do know the answer, but are merely here to try to get us to be rude, so you can go off to your little Xtian buddies and tell them how evil we are.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman