Disney's Jungle World Ride Goes Horribly Awry!

Started by Flanker1Six, June 15, 2016, 03:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Munch on June 16, 2016, 02:29:10 PM
Whats making me laugh now, given yes a childs death is a tragedy, but its the reaction on sites like reddit, about how alligators are now EEEEVIL!
I thought Reddit was supposed to be full of smart people. So, where do the smart people hang out?

Hydra009

Quote from: Nonsensei on June 16, 2016, 06:41:09 PMThe sign actually says no swimming please, which is not the sort of tone you need to deliver when the reasons for not swimming are because there are carnivores in the water.
I fail to see how a polite please at the end makes a warning sign less serious.  ¯\_(ãƒ,,)_/¯  The kid was alone at the time and would be unlikely to be literate at age 2, so that's a moot point.

Other places in Florida have much more explicit warning signs:

I guess that's the sort of thing you have to put up to get people to not play in the lagoon in an area well known for its lagoon-loving gators.

Nonsensei

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 16, 2016, 07:00:17 PM
I fail to see how a polite please at the end makes a warning sign less serious.  ¯\_(ãƒ,,)_/¯  The kid was alone at the time and would be unlikely to be literate at age 2, so that's a moot point.

Other places in Florida have much more explicit warning signs:

I guess that's the sort of thing you have to put up to get people to not play in the lagoon in an area well known for its lagoon-loving gators.

That sign is the difference between "please don't swim because if you drown our insurance premiums will go up" and "dont swim, you idiot, there are fucking alligators in there"
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 16, 2016, 07:00:17 PM
Disney should have never gotten involved with nature. That's not what Disney is about. Disney is an escape. Nature is reality.

Hydra009

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 16, 2016, 06:57:32 PM
I thought Reddit was supposed to be full of smart people. So, where do the smart people hang out?
Subreddits.  :P

Hydra009

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 16, 2016, 07:03:52 PM
Disney should have never gotten involved with nature. That's not what Disney is about. Disney is an escape. Nature is reality.
That's what Epcot is for.  Inside the confines of its geodesic sphere, mankind is safe from everything but mankind.   :biggrin:

Resorts tend to go for natural beauty, and animals are frequently associated with nature.  I'm planning to hit the beach in about a month and somehow, I'm miraculously aware of the presence of sharks in the ocean despite the lack of warning signs.  So if I get my leg chomped off, know that I was aware of the risks and took my chances.  Also, don't villainize the shark.  I went to its habitat, not the other way around.

Mermaid

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 16, 2016, 01:57:53 PM
Florida's literred with swamps/wetlands and swamps are home to gators.  Everyone should already know this.  Plus, the resort in question was literally built on a swamp.

Everyone should conjure up some compassion for the family that has to have a funeral for their two year old. Snapping to judgment is part of the large cultural problem we are having in this fucking country.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Mermaid on June 17, 2016, 07:59:41 AM
Snapping to judgment is part of the large cultural problem we are having in this fucking country.
Amen

Hydra009

Quote from: Mermaid on June 17, 2016, 07:59:41 AMEveryone should conjure up some compassion for the family that has to have a funeral for their two year old. Snapping to judgment is part of the large cultural problem we are having in this fucking country.
I'm not snapping to judgment, though I apparently it looks like that if one interprets pointing out a no swimming sign as blaming the parents.  This misapprehension is the exact reason why I explicitly said "I'm not pointing out the no swimming sign to shake my finger at the parents" earlier.  (Taking offense where none exists is a big problem around here, too)

What happened was a tragedy and no one could reasonably foresee what happened.  I'm just pointing out that alligator country has alligators and people should be reasonably cautious around bodies of water there in the future, signs or no.

TomFoolery

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 17, 2016, 12:32:18 PM
What happened was a tragedy and no one could reasonably foresee what happened.  I'm just pointing out that alligator country has alligators and people should be reasonably cautious around bodies of water there in the future, signs or no.

Well, but these people were from Nebraska. I don't imagine gators were probably at the forefront of their concerns, ya know?
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Hydra009

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 17, 2016, 01:17:40 PMWell, but these people were from Nebraska. I don't imagine gators were probably at the forefront of their concerns, ya know?
Yeah, I know.  Which is why I'm not giving them grief about it.  They have grief enough already.

I don't blame them.  I don't blame anyone.  I guess most of my gripe in this thread is this psychological need to hold someone to blame after every tragedy.  Right now, that's the Disney staff.  It's automatically all their fault; it happened on their doorstep, so they let it happen.  Their sign wasn't specific enough.  Their sign was worded too politely to be taken seriously.  If only they hunted down every alligator anywhere close to their lagoon or littered the place with explicit alligator signs, this tragedy never would have happened.  Like I said earlier, I don't think they could've foreseen this incident anymore than the parents.

And this is only tangentially related to the incident, but I also don't like this tendency in the States (I guess this happens elsewhere, but the States especially) of having to nanny people with warning signs because otherwise they'll assume everything's perfectly safe.

Every time someone gets hurt, another sign like this goes up.

I just wish more people would exercise situational awareness and personal responsibility for their own welfare.

Baruch

Legally speaking ... you can be held liable for negligence.  Some people don't like that, they only want punishment if there is malice afore-thought.

And yes, there needs to be signs, otherwise the corporate lawyers will have hissy fits.  This is why we have signs at work saying ... this is a no-smoking campus ... because the lawyers are so scary.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 17, 2016, 12:32:18 PM
I'm not snapping to judgment, though I apparently it looks like that if one interprets pointing out a no swimming sign as blaming the parents.  This misapprehension is the exact reason why I explicitly said "I'm not pointing out the no swimming sign to shake my finger at the parents" earlier.  (Taking offense where none exists is a big problem around here, too)

I was not specifically pointing at you. I am just disgusted by the things I am reading about this. We have become a country of knee-jerk, judgmental overreactors.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 17, 2016, 01:47:04 PM

I don't blame them.  I don't blame anyone.  I guess most of my gripe in this thread is this psychological need to hold someone to blame after every tragedy. 
For what it's worth, I am not blaming anyone. I agree completely. I think there is a basic human need to make sense of things and have answers. We have this need to judge everything, it's very hard for us to just observe things without feeling the need to form an opinion. Ever hear people talk about the weather?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mermaid on June 18, 2016, 12:30:33 PMI was not specifically pointing at you.
Considering you quoted me for and then laid in with the condemnation, it sure looked like it was aimed at me.  And I was trying pretty hard to not be the sort of judgmental asshole you condemned, too!

QuoteI am just disgusted by the things I am reading about this. We have become a country of knee-jerk, judgmental overreactors.
Yeah.  My favorite one so far:

[spoiler][/spoiler]