Disney's Jungle World Ride Goes Horribly Awry!

Started by Flanker1Six, June 15, 2016, 03:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flanker1Six

I almost fell off the couch when I saw this story earlier today.   They showed an overhead view of this lagoon; which abuts Disney World, and has at least one Disney affiliated hotel complex on it's substantial shore.  The story featured a Disney press release/statement to the effect (amongst other things) Disney has an active animal control program, and they hadn't taken any gators out of the area this year.  Sounds like to me they need to ramp it up a bit.   

The gist:  Nebraska family of 5 staying at said hotel; which features a maintained beach area for swimming in the lagoon.  2 year old child playing on beach next to water when Wally Gator leaps from the water and snatches the kid; dragging it back into the water.  The father was able to intervene and engaged in an unsuccessful tug 'o war with the gator over the kid.  Gator drags screaming kid under water to be seen no more.  No shit!!! 

A County Sheriff's spokeswoman stated they'd (local and county police + animal control + private gator trappers) had caught and killed four gators; NONE of which had the kid's remains in it.  Still searching for the scaly perp this AM when I watched the segment. 

WTF??!!  Disney World was built in a mostly swampy area, which was cheap to purchase back when; they had to drain the heck out of the property to build DW; though there is still significant wet lands/swamp adjacent to the property.  The FL gator population has done VERY well in recent years, and unless I'm mistaken they actually have a gator hunting season for the purposes of animal control.   

Hhhhmmmmm??????  Giant REC complex designed to attract tens, if not hundreds of thousand of visitors (many of whom are children) annually; features a very large man made water/lagoon area with several groomed and maintained beaches for swimming; built into surrounding swampy area; in a state with a booming alligator population.    What could go wrong with that??   Can anyone say; Jurassic World?    Please don't feed the large carnivorous reptiles!! 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/alligator-attacks-child-disney-florida/index.html

Hey!  If you can say Jurassic World..............................can you say liability?    Ouch! 

Munch

As horrible as this is and I feel for the father, the story has an eerie theme of nature not taking shit from development of mankind, and even something like disneyworld isn't beyond this.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Munch on June 15, 2016, 03:48:05 PM
even something like disneyworld isn't beyond this.
Disney likes to keep its problems on the down low. There may be other clues. Despite Disney's fantastic PR and maintenance, its design may be flawed.

Munch

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 15, 2016, 03:54:42 PM
Disney likes to keep its problems on the down low. There may be other clues. Despite Disney's fantastic PR and maintenance, its design may be flawed.

Well it does allow cats to walk around the park at night killing mice. They might do that, but can't imagine its a good thing for the children to find a cat shit on minnies shoe in the morning.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Munch on June 15, 2016, 03:57:41 PM
Well it does allow cats to walk around the park at night killing mice. They might do that, but can't imagine its a good thing for the children to find a cat shit on minnies shoe in the morning.
That's awesome, and cats don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 15, 2016, 04:06:24 PM
That's awesome, and cats don't do that.

My cat use to leave presents behind a door when she stopped using her litter box, had to change the type of litter she used before she started using it again.

But yes I find it deliciously ironic that disneyland, the place headed by a giant cartoon mouse, has cats used to kill mice in it.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Munch on June 15, 2016, 04:12:02 PM
But yes I find it deliciously ironic that disneyland, the place headed by a giant cartoon mouse, has cats used to kill mice in it.

Disney made a lot of money riding the American vibe . I'm sure you're aware that American history hasn't been as rosy as the advertisements. Now, Disney has Marvel and Star Wars. It can't be the same old Disney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTqa-NEwUbs

Munch

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 15, 2016, 04:21:03 PM

Disney made a lot of money riding the American vibe . I'm sure you're aware that American history hasn't been as rosy as the advertisements. Now, Disney has Marvel and Star Wars. It can't be the same old Disney.

Part of me still holds out hope that disney won't effect the way marvel develops, but it just makes me cringe every time I see the hulk and ironman in advertisements alongside disney characters.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Munch on June 15, 2016, 04:34:49 PM
Part of me still holds out hope that disney won't effect the way marvel develops, but it just makes me cringe every time I see the hulk and ironman in advertisements alongside disney characters.
As big as Disney is, it feels its failures. Disney is still riding the American vibe. Americans are changing.
http://fortune.com/2015/01/30/mattels-barbie-sales-drop-third-year/

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Munch on June 15, 2016, 04:12:02 PM
My cat use to leave presents behind a door when she stopped using her litter box, had to change the type of litter she used before she started using it again.
Our cats go in and out. I'm not familiar with indoor cat behavior, but it sounds like she just stopped liking that litter. Behind the door is just another litter box. If it's in the shoe, the cat is letting you know that you have completely misunderstood the nature of cats. It's not our fault. It's been a tradition to treat the rest of the animal kingdom as objects rather than family.

Baruch

They recovered the toddler's body ;-(

Again, like the mother with the toddler who fell into the gorilla pit ... what are parent's thinking?  I know, working on their cell phones/tablets ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Baruch on June 15, 2016, 07:15:15 PM
They recovered the toddler's body ;-(

Again, like the mother with the toddler who fell into the gorilla pit ... what are parent's thinking?  I know, working on their cell phones/tablets ;-(
the judgment and fingerpointing that we do as a species makes me sick to my stomach.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

Is it too late to point out that the lagoon in question had a "no swimming" sign?  From the OP, one could easily get the mistaken impression that the kid was at a disney ride and got carried off by a gator.

Mermaid

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 15, 2016, 07:45:46 PM
Is it too late to point out that the lagoon in question had a "no swimming" sign?  From the OP, one could easily get the mistaken impression that the kid was at a disney ride and got carried off by a gator.
Every other comment I've read on news stories has mentioned this, blaming the parents. I think that's disgusting. Who would expect to be eaten by an alligator at Disney world? As a non-Floridian, I see "no swimming" as a warning not to jump in because of lack of lifeguard supervision, not a warning about alligators.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

_Xenu_

I remember going to Disney World as a kid, and riding those multistory boats across the lagoon. I couldn't imagine at the time what was likely swimming beneath me. Also, the kids body has been recovered.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home