News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

USB Multiple Port Hub

Started by SGOS, June 14, 2016, 10:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on June 14, 2016, 06:53:01 PM
And one Winter static spark off the carpet ... and its gone!

thats why my tvs plugged into a surge protector ^^
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on June 15, 2016, 11:30:28 AM
Interesting how fakers always tip their hand eventually.

You talking to me bro? ;-)

Yes, fail ... two 150W bulbs is 3 amps max at 115V.  So bad example.  At work, we use 20A breakers ... so of course, check your own house.  Old houses use fuzes, not breakers.  But then do I need to state that?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

widdershins

The amperage of the outlet is irrelevant to this conversation.  As you decrease the voltage with a transformer you increase the available amperage by the same factor.  1/10th the voltage means 10x the amperage (meaning if you reduce 120VAC to 12VAC and have a 15A outlet then the 12VAC output of that supply would have to reach 150A before the 120V outlet was at 15A).  And there is no way in hell 4 USB devices are even drawing 15A, much less more than 10x that, which still wouldn't exceed the rating of the outlet, unless your house is insured for AT LEAST twice what it's worth.

The one important thing to remember is that voltage is determined by the SUPPLY, amperage is determined by the DEVICE.  So, let's say I have a power brick which is rated for 5V, 1A.  I could plug that into something that takes 5V, 10V or 15V, I will still have 5V going from supply to device.  No matter what the device wants, it's getting 5V.  Now if I plug in a device which uses .5A, I have .5A coming from the power source.  If I plug in something that draws 2A I have 2A coming from the power source (being simplistic and assuming there is no limiting circuitry).  Since the power source is rated for only 1A and my device is drawing 2A the power supply will burn out quickly.  No matter what the power supply is designed to give, it's giving whatever the device "draws".  That's why amperage is described as being a "draw" and voltage is not.

So, if you go with powered (which, after PopeysPappy's post, I recommend), you should make sure it has an adequate output voltage to handle your expected needs.
This sentence is a lie...