Has the atheist community just lost it's fucking mind?

Started by Jannabear, June 11, 2016, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jannabear

I've heard atheists who think Sexual reassignment surgery should be banned
Atheists who think that I'm a muslim apologist even though I've stated I think the majority of muslims are shitty people, simply because I say we should let in syrian refugees.
Atheists who bashed the reason rally for having policies against poorly treating LGBT people just because they're LGBT.
Atheists who are pro life
Atheists who label
EVERYTHING IN FUCKING EXISTENCE
as sjw
Why the fuck has the atheist community just gone full retard in the past few months?
I still think these are a minority of people, but what's with these retards who are gaining influence?

TomFoolery

Sounds like you're talking about assholes, not atheists.

Not all atheists subscribe to liberal politics.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Nonsensei

I don't believe gender reassignment surgery should be banned. In fact I believe it should be covered on people's insurance policies.
I don't think you're a Muslim apologist.
I bashed the reason rally not because of the rules against being mean to LGBTQ people, but for focusing on that and other non-atheism related issues to the apparent exclusion of the topic of atheism. In other words, I was critical of the reason rally for not really being about atheism. And I'm not alone, it seems, since the 2016 reason rally attendance numbers were much lower than the 2012 reason rally, where the primary topic was atheism.
I am not pro life. Women should have the right to get an abortion at any time for any reason.
I only label things that actually are sjw as sjw.

That said, almost none of these issues actually have anything to do with atheism itself. If there ever was a time when liberalism was the most common disposition of the atheist, that is not the case any longer. Theres absolutely nothing preventing a bigoted atheist from existing. You should not expect to agree with someone about any other topic based solely on the fact that you agree with that person on the question of the existence of god.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Nonsensei on June 11, 2016, 09:53:42 PM
You should not expect to agree with someone about any other topic based solely on the fact that you agree with that person on the question of the existence of god.
I have great expectations. There's no need to be disappointed if they're not realized immediately.

AllPurposeAtheist

Not believing in a god doesn't really qualify anyone for much of anything  other than not believing in a god, period.  Anyone who thinks all atheists must believe in the same drivel are full of shit. The same applies for anyone who drinks coffee or pisses standing on their tip toes. There are no requirements or secret handshakes.. I may have a few things in common with you, but in no way am I bound to share all of your beliefs or values.
Like any other group there are always going to be sub sections or sub groups and plenty of morons to go around.
Belief or non belief says nothing whatsoever about a person's political agenda.. There are many many liberals and progressives who regularly attend church and more who don't and still believe in a god.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

You do realize the only thing that makes someone an atheist is the lack of belief in god, right? That leaves a lot of room for loads and loads of different world views.

Like for instance, I like my newborns char-roasted, but some like them broiled, or steamed... like vegetables.... But me? No I like the nice, slightly seasoned taste of the charcoal grill on my newborns.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 11, 2016, 09:37:16 PM
Not all atheists subscribe to liberal politics.
Not all atheists subscribe to any one thing.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Janna don't follow blanket beliefs. People are people, and can be shitty regardless of what they believe in.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: Jannabear on June 11, 2016, 09:24:58 PM
I've heard atheists who think Sexual reassignment surgery should be banned
Atheists who think that I'm a muslim apologist even though I've stated I think the majority of muslims are shitty people, simply because I say we should let in syrian refugees.
Atheists who bashed the reason rally for having policies against poorly treating LGBT people just because they're LGBT.
Atheists who are pro life
Atheists who label
EVERYTHING IN FUCKING EXISTENCE
as sjw
Why the fuck has the atheist community just gone full retard in the past few months?
I still think these are a minority of people, but what's with these retards who are gaining influence?
I think you just made the same mistake that Randy Cross kept making--there is no 'atheist community'.  There are people who are crazier than a shit house rat that claim to be atheist--as well as theist.  Crazy is crazy.  But there is no atheist 'leaders'--some are very influential, but they do not sit around with a bunch of people figuring out what the atheist agenda is now going to be.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

Atheist means no religion. That is all. Any other attribution is a separate issue entirely.

FaithIsFilth

I don't really think it's fair to say that most Muslims are shitty people, if you mean that they are shitty because they are Muslim. If you instead said that most people in general are shitty, I would probably agree, but they are shitty because people are shitty, not because Muslims in particular are shitty.

Sentin32

I don’t agree with people who says gender reassignment surgery should be banned. There are people who really need it. A friend of mine had undergone an ftm top surgery in Mississauga ( http://www.ftmtopsurgery.ca/ftm-procedures/ ) after being humiliated so much. I don’t understand the attitude of our society. People actually undergo gender reassignment procedure for their satisfaction and I believe that it doesn’t harm anyone. According to me, it shouldn’t be banned.

Atheon

I don't think gender reassignment surgery should be allowed for minors (particularly before puberty), but adults should have full freedom to do as they please in this regard.

The vast majority of Muslims are good people; there are some evil people among them, as there are in any group. I oppose Islamic extremism as unconscionable, just as I oppose any extremist ideology; I oppose Islam intellectually, just as I oppose any false belief like Christianity or homeopathy; I do not oppose Muslims, just as I do not oppose Jews, Christians or country music concertgoers.

I am a liberal and I support social justice and feminism, but I don't like social justice warriors or radical feminists.

I have no problems with immigration. Sure there may be a handful of evil people who manage to slip through, but there are also evil people born and bred at home.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

marom1963

Whoa! I'm an atheist. I'm a registered Democrat. I consider myself a moderate. While I support gender reassignment surgery, I do NOT support what has been going on w/the public bathrooms. Like it, don't like it. Too many opportunities for perverts to make false claims to gain access to the womens' room. Don't like it. End of story. I cannot see upending the whole of society for less than 1% of the population. If that makes me a bad person, too fucking bad. I'd gladly fund the surgeries to avoid the problem all together.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Flanker1Six

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on June 12, 2016, 02:07:56 PM
I don't really think it's fair to say that most Muslims are shitty people, if you mean that they are shitty because they are Muslim. If you instead said that most people in general are shitty, I would probably agree, but they are shitty because people are shitty, not because Muslims in particular are shitty.

Now...................there's a creed I can get behind!  Kill 'em all; let God ...............................oooopppppsssss!!!!!!!!    :bigsorry:   C'mon!  I'm new at this; it just slipped out! 

Tucks tail and slinks away quietly.