News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Libertarian in '16

Started by Flanker1Six, June 11, 2016, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flanker1Six

The only real alternative to slowing the crony capitalism gravy train of the "The Usual Suspects"!   Not perfect, but different and worth a try instead the usual bitching up a storm; then voting Dem or GOP AGAIN!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/this-time-around-gary-johnsons-third-party-bid-makes-sense-060422915.html

stromboli

Seriously, I'd vote for the guy. Pot would be legal six minutes after the inauguration.  :2thumbs:

Baruch

I would vote for anyone, who on election would make R and D heads explode ... which is the only reason why I considered Trump.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

gentle_dissident

It's taking the power from a small powerful group and giving it to a bunch of crafty businessmen. At least they're all like, "Freedom 'till it kills ya!" I like to think I'd have a better time under anarchy than the regime.

stromboli

Here is a representation of the problem:

I do so want to call myself a Libertarian, but they need to sort some shit out.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: stromboli on June 11, 2016, 01:41:39 PM
I do so want to call myself a Libertarian, but they need to sort some shit out.
It's almost as if they need central planning.

Hydra009

I've been hearing a lot about Gary Johnson lately and about how great this guy is.  So, let's look at the platform:

The Good
* Favors same sex marriage (at around the same time the polls swung in favor of gay marriage), backed getting rid of Don't Ask Don't Tell
* Advocates marijuana legalization, would deschedule marijuana
* Opposes Death penalty
* Opposes Patriot Act

The Bad
* Abortion:  a woman's right to choose up until the point of viability.  Parental notification.  Also, no public funding for abortions or federal funding for stem cell research
* Gun laws:  opposes limiting the types or sizes of guns that private citizens can own
* Opposes net neutrality
* School voucher system
* Eliminate the IRS, income tax, capital gains tax - replace with a consumption tax
* Favors lowering the drinking age to 18 or eliminating the drinking age outright

So basically, Republican lite with a few odd ideas thrown in.  I'm not impressed.

Jason Harvestdancer

Good one stromboli, the tragedy of the commons does demonstrate what happens when there is libertarianism.

In a better world, the final election would be between the Libertarian Party and the Green Party, instead of between the Democratic-Republican Party.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 11, 2016, 02:13:49 PM
* Opposes net neutrality
Pretty much sums up the party. They sure do offer a lot of trinkets to the people they're trying to hoodwink.

Gawdzilla Sama

At least the Libertarians are forthrightly for sale.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 11, 2016, 05:58:01 PM
At least the Libertarians are forthrightly for sale.

Interesting, as a libertarian I did not know that.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Flanker1Six

Quote from: stromboli on June 11, 2016, 01:23:02 PM
Seriously, I'd vote for the guy. Pot would be legal six minutes after the inauguration.  :2thumbs:

LOL!  Well...................I am in favor of legalizing ALL drugs (prostitution and gambling as well!), not just weed.   Legislate it, license it, tax it.  Same same as booze and tobacco.   Sin sells........................many are buying.  .) 

Baruch

Quote from: gentle_dissident on June 11, 2016, 01:36:34 PM
It's taking the power from a small powerful group and giving it to a bunch of crafty businessmen. At least they're all like, "Freedom 'till it kills ya!" I like to think I'd have a better time under anarchy than the regime.

The good thing about oligarchy is ... the billionaires don't like each other either.  But democracy in the sense of as broad based power as possible, is still wise.  Athens failed, but it is a great city today.  Sparta won, but is a small village today.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Flanker1Six

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 11, 2016, 02:13:49 PM
I've been hearing a lot about Gary Johnson lately and about how great this guy is.  So, let's look at the platform:

The Good
* Favors same sex marriage (at around the same time the polls swung in favor of gay marriage), backed getting rid of Don't Ask Don't Tell
* Opposes Death penalty
* Opposes Patriot Act

The Bad
* Abortion:  a woman's right to choose up until the point of viability.  Parental notification.  Also, no public funding for abortions or federal funding for stem cell research
* Gun laws:  opposes limiting the types or sizes of guns that private citizens can own
* Opposes net neutrality
* School voucher system
* Eliminate the IRS, income tax, capital gains tax - replace with a consumption tax
* Favors lowering the drinking age to 18 or eliminating the drinking age outright

So basically, Republican lite with a few odd ideas thrown in.  I'm not impressed.

Good:  * Favors same sex marriage (at around the same time the polls swung in favor of gay marriage), backed getting rid of Don't Ask Don't Tell
           * Opposes Patriot Act

Bad:    * Opposes Death penalty
           * Opposes net neutrality

We're not monolithic........................and unlike the current two parties who've refined offering trinkets to their constituencies to a fine and very popular art; that's only an unproven theory for us; because we haven't had the chance to fail as badly as the current crop of *****.  Though I'm hopeful!   

Remember!  To buy a piece of the True Cross while I've still got a few left!   

Remember!  Welfare is BAD; unless it's for you!