News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Another New Guy, That's Me.

Started by Wallflower, March 28, 2013, 12:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallflower

I suppose I'm representative of a newer wave of blasphemy, as I'm only seventeen. At age ten I attended my last formal service, and I suspect being baptized that year had something to do with it. Now that my soul was safe for all eternity, I had a little while to wait around and think.

I officially referred to myself as a non-believer by age thirteen, although even then I recognized the need to keep my opinions to myself. Instead I occupied my time with learning everything I could about everything I knew, dealing with my own mortality, all that jazz I'm sure you've all been through, etc. etc. It's not been an especially smooth transition, but it was one I'm glad I made. In retrospect, I feel I was pretty lucky compared to some of the horror stories I've read on AF. I just kinda reasoned it all out before I even knew there was such thing as a non-believer community.

So as college looms on the horizon, I wonder about the future. Does anybody know what it's like to be an open atheist in a college setting? I don't imagine it's only one way other the other, but I'd really like to hear others' comments before jumping into a potential beehive. I've read a lot about how to come out to family, and while I'm not doing real great on that front, I'm not too worried about it at the moment - I'd prefer to wait it out  (I live in Kansas, and while the area I live in is pretty amazing compared to the national image of Kansas, it is right on the edge of all that, and I've got family in both regions. It can't end well.). Any experience would be greatly appreciated.
"When Illusion spin her net/I\'m never where I want to be
And Liberty, she pirouette/When I think that I am free."
                                                             -Peter Gabriel

Atheon

Quote from: "DolceVita"So as college looms on the horizon, I wonder about the future. Does anybody know what it's like to be an open atheist in a college setting?
Colleges and universities are home to a wide variety of opinions and ideas, offering open-minded settings. Open atheists are pretty normal at universities (note I'm not talking about fundie schools like Brigham Young, Bob Jones or Oral Roberts!).

I attended what's considered a mainstream Christian college, but even there, it was a very open-minded environment and I knew a fair number of non-theistic types there. (At the time I called myself "agnostic".)
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Sal1981

Plu

Welcome to the forums. Didn't we already have a guy called DolceVita?

Sal1981

Quote from: "Plu"Welcome to the forums. Didn't we already have a guy called DolceVita?
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=22646

Jason78

Quote from: "DolceVita"I suppose I'm representative of a newer wave of blasphemy, as I'm only seventeen.

Nah.  Not believing in gods has been cool ever since they were invented.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Sal1981

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "DolceVita"I suppose I'm representative of a newer wave of blasphemy, as I'm only seventeen.

Nah.  Not believing in gods has been cool ever since they were invented.
Great, hipster atheism -.-

Wallflower

Oops. Can I change my username? I didn't notice there was anyone else by that name.
"When Illusion spin her net/I\'m never where I want to be
And Liberty, she pirouette/When I think that I am free."
                                                             -Peter Gabriel

La Dolce Vita

Will they be able to tell us apart?'

Welcome!

aitm

awww, I think its cute. Twins......kinda...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

antediluvian

Welcome non-believer.  Go forth and multiply.
More non-believers needed.
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.