Rush Limbaugh just pulled a "Why we still got monkeys?"

Started by widdershins, June 02, 2016, 10:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

widdershins

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 03, 2016, 02:29:10 PM
Religion is just another lunatic fringe theory. That's why most people "respond correctly" when asked, but never, ever, walk the walk.
I wouldn't call religion exactly the "lunatic fringe".  By that I meant the people who believe for no reason whatsoever.  There are lots of reasons to suspend critical thought and take up some religion.  Fear of death is a big one.  A sense of justice in an unjust world is another.  And they at least have something to back them up.  Sure it's a book of fairy tales which only works because people seem to have this inexplicable notion that people living thousands of years ago possessed some mystical knowledge that we, today, do not even though the concepts of running water and flushing toilets were foreign to them.  What they have is obviously crap.  But at least they have something.  These chemtrailers, they have nothing.  This was an idea admittedly pulled right out of some guy's ass and there has never, ever been anything to back it.

Personally, I don't consider it "lunatic" until, when you talk about it, instead of just glazing over, my eyes actually roll.  Like the concentration camps Obama is building for all the Christians (I guess he picked up where Bill Clinton left off.  I sure hope Hillary can finally finish them.  The lefties have been working on these things FOREVER!)  Obviously religion is bullshit.  We all know that or we wouldn't be here.  But at least we have to put some thought into why it's bullshit every now and then.  At least we feel occasionally compelled to look into a claim here and there.  I feel no such compulsion to look into any claims of chemtrails, Bigfoot, UFOs or psychics.  I didn't feel the need to look up the doctor in India who proclaimed that the dude had definitely not eaten or drank anything in 40 years to know he was a piece of shit.  For me, "lunatic" is a bit strong for at least most Christians.  The WBC, yeah, they're lunatics.  But most aren't that bad.
This sentence is a lie...

marom1963

Quote from: widdershins on June 03, 2016, 03:06:03 PM
I wouldn't call religion exactly the "lunatic fringe".  By that I meant the people who believe for no reason whatsoever.  There are lots of reasons to suspend critical thought and take up some religion.  Fear of death is a big one.  A sense of justice in an unjust world is another.  And they at least have something to back them up.  Sure it's a book of fairy tales which only works because people seem to have this inexplicable notion that people living thousands of years ago possessed some mystical knowledge that we, today, do not even though the concepts of running water and flushing toilets were foreign to them.  What they have is obviously crap.  But at least they have something.  These chemtrailers, they have nothing.  This was an idea admittedly pulled right out of some guy's ass and there has never, ever been anything to back it.

Personally, I don't consider it "lunatic" until, when you talk about it, instead of just glazing over, my eyes actually roll.  Like the concentration camps Obama is building for all the Christians (I guess he picked up where Bill Clinton left off.  I sure hope Hillary can finally finish them.  The lefties have been working on these things FOREVER!)  Obviously religion is bullshit.  We all know that or we wouldn't be here.  But at least we have to put some thought into why it's bullshit every now and then.  At least we feel occasionally compelled to look into a claim here and there.  I feel no such compulsion to look into any claims of chemtrails, Bigfoot, UFOs or psychics.  I didn't feel the need to look up the doctor in India who proclaimed that the dude had definitely not eaten or drank anything in 40 years to know he was a piece of shit.  For me, "lunatic" is a bit strong for at least most Christians.  The WBC, yeah, they're lunatics.  But most aren't that bad.
All right, if you won't go for "lunatic" for most Christians, how about "parboiled," then. They're at least part of the way there, you have to admit.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

widdershins

Quote from: marom1963 on June 03, 2016, 03:32:37 PM
All right, if you won't go for "lunatic" for most Christians, how about "parboiled," then. They're at least part of the way there, you have to admit.
You'll get no argument there.  There is definitely something wrong with a brain that can try to use logic, science and reason to prove that which defies logic, science and reason.  But still, I think the chemtrail crowd is a little further gone.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: widdershins on June 03, 2016, 03:06:03 PM

They're followers of imaginary beings who kill them off in large lots. That's a god definition of lunatic. If you want to be soft on the fuckers that's up to you.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

The religious are the jellyfish and we are the aquatic mammals. Porpoises, Dolphins, Killer Whales etc.

SGOS

The problem with the term "lunatic fringe" as it applies to Christians is that it is only half right.  They are lunatics, but they are not the fringe.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on June 04, 2016, 08:22:33 AM
The problem with the term "lunatic fringe" as it applies to Christians is that it is only half right.  They are lunatics, but they are not the fringe.
That's "on the fringe of reality".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Absurd Atheist

My mum asked me the old ape-human question the other day. I just walked away.
"To have faith is to lose your mind and to win God."
-The Sickness unto Death - 1849

SGOS

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 04, 2016, 01:36:26 PM
The midichlorians are hugely relieved.

Who says I don't have a positive effect on the universe?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on June 04, 2016, 01:57:42 PM
Who says I don't have a positive effect on the universe?
Just the people who know you.
PZ Myers

widdershins

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 03, 2016, 05:21:36 PM
They're followers of imaginary beings who kill them off in large lots. That's a god definition of lunatic. If you want to be soft on the fuckers that's up to you.
If they leave me the hell alone I'm more than happy to let them have their little magic rituals if they think it's going to fix all their problems in this life and the imaginary next.  Stay away from my kids and you could believe Zeus is riding down from space on a magic jelly bean to take you to La La Land to get blown by the Virgin Mary for all I care.  As long as it doesn't effect me, as long as it's not pushed on my children, as long as it doesn't restrict my freedoms because a magic jelly bean riding Zeus doesn't like the things I do, knock yourself out.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: widdershins on June 06, 2016, 05:54:46 PM
If they leave me the hell alone I'm more than happy to let them have their little magic rituals if they think it's going to fix all their problems in this life and the imaginary next.  Stay away from my kids and you could believe Zeus is riding down from space on a magic jelly bean to take you to La La Land to get blown by the Virgin Mary for all I care.  As long as it doesn't effect me, as long as it's not pushed on my children, as long as it doesn't restrict my freedoms because a magic jelly bean riding Zeus doesn't like the things I do, knock yourself out.
On the other paw my relatives keep telling me the sooner I die and find out I'm wrong the better. They've stopped obviously threatening me because I'm an atheist. I let them know that I'd take a few of them with me. They believe I will.
PZ Myers

widdershins

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 06, 2016, 09:38:23 PM
On the other paw my relatives keep telling me the sooner I die and find out I'm wrong the better. They've stopped obviously threatening me because I'm an atheist. I let them know that I'd take a few of them with me. They believe I will.
Okay, that's some fucked up shit right there.  I suppose I would be a little less forgiving if it had fucked up people I knew and loved to the extreme that they actually wish me harm.  You're lucky you're an adult.  That sounds like the kind of shit where they beat a child to death trying to beat the fear of God back into them.