News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Darwinism

Started by ticdog, March 27, 2013, 11:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agramon

Given how interconnected the world is now, I would suspect we won't see any true speciation until humans begin to populate other planets than Earth.
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

stromboli

Evolution is the response to change through adaptation. In nature flora and fauna are subject to change outside of the ability to control, hence adaptation is necessary. Humans are unique in that they can modify their environment artificially. If the environment does not alter and drive change, the necessity for evolution may simply not be there. We design the environment to suit what we are.

Indigenous homo sapiens like the Inuit and Australian Aborigines had to in part adapt because of their environment; hence, skin color, respiratory functions and body shape are different because of radically different environments. But now in the modern era, that necessity is lessened or gone, so the need to adapt is also gone.

The other conscious function- eugenics- artificially shapes our species through genetic selection. That is not evolution. The differences between homo sapiens now and the early Neolithic, hunter gather stage, have more to do with advances in sanitation, nutrition, medicine and the overcoming of factors that are detrimental to us.

stromboli

Quote from: "Agramon"Given how interconnected the world is now, I would suspect we won't see any true speciation until humans begin to populate other planets than Earth.

^this. differences, again, in environment. Living in lesser or greater gravity, higher or lower UV exposure and so on could all effect change. It depends on the level of environmental control versus the need to adapt.

stromboli

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Why the thread's name is Darwinism, but not Human Evolution?

Beats me. Personally, I'm not into old guys with beards, because I am one.

SGOS

Quote from: "ticdog"The human animal will evolve into a more advanced form of life , that animal will
look upon humans as humans look upon Neanderthals  

I'm not sure what you mean by "more advanced".  I assume you mean more intelligent since you reference "as humans look upon Neanderthals."  This is more likely a wishful human goal.  As infatuated humans may be with their intelligence, we don't know if that adaptation will survive.  Human intelligence is a highly specialized adaptation, and past mass extinctions seem to indicate the most highly specialized species are the most vulnerable.  They simply go extinct, as the vast majority of species have done throughout time.  What's left behind after a mass extinction are a lot of simple mud dwelling critters and slimy worm type things.  Well, you get the idea.

If human type intelligence were a trait shared by hundreds of thousands of other species, it would more likely be passed on through the next global wipe out, but when a trait is limited to a handful of species, it's more likely going to end up as an evolutionary dead end as a sort of evolutionary quirk left in the geologic record.

Mermaid

Quote from: "ticdog"
QuoteI'm not quite sure what the point of this thread is.

why is it titled Darwinism?

My theory is humans will evolve into a more advanced thinking animal .
Darwin says we evolved from monkeys and I think we will keep evolving so
I am chatting about it ,,, Humans are made in the image of God  I think not.
Hmmmm. Have you read The Origin of the Species?
Evolution is not about becoming better, like annual car model modifications. It's about selection and adaptation in response to pressures.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

induz

Quote from: "Agramon"Given how interconnected the world is now, I would suspect we won't see any true speciation until humans begin to populate other planets than Earth.

Not so much that, but we've adapted to all possible environments.  

Whilst it's not true speciation, the emergence of modern human races may be the last evident change in us.  And even then, this was only 15-20,000 years ago.

induz

Quote from: "stromboli"Evolution is the response to change through adaptation. In nature flora and fauna are subject to change outside of the ability to control, hence adaptation is necessary. Humans are unique in that they can modify their environment artificially. If the environment does not alter and drive change, the necessity for evolution may simply not be there. We design the environment to suit what we are.

Indigenous homo sapiens like the Inuit and Australian Aborigines had to in part adapt because of their environment; hence, skin color, respiratory functions and body shape are different because of radically different environments. But now in the modern era, that necessity is lessened or gone, so the need to adapt is also gone.

The other conscious function- eugenics- artificially shapes our species through genetic selection. That is not evolution. The differences between homo sapiens now and the early Neolithic, hunter gather stage, have more to do with advances in sanitation, nutrition, medicine and the overcoming of factors that are detrimental to us.

Indigenous?  Yeah.. so all humans don't hold a place of origin....  Why perchance are not Han Chinese "indigenous" to China?  Or Germanic peoples (English, Germans, Dutch, Scandinavians, etc.) "indigenous peoples in Northern Europe"?

induz

Quote from: "ticdog"
QuoteI'm not quite sure what the point of this thread is.

why is it titled Darwinism?

My theory is humans will evolve into a more advanced thinking animal .

What makes you say that?

Evolution cannot be predicted by definition.  It all depends on future environments, which of course we cannot predict or say with certainty will occur.  It's like saying "in 50,000 years time, tigers and lions will move into each others' range, interbreed, and become a super-feline sapient race".  This could happen, but there is no way to prove it.

induz

Quote from: "Sal1981"
Quote from: "ticdog"My theory is humans will evolve into a more advanced thinking animal .
Actually, we share a common ancestry, we didn't evolve from apes.

What?

Kindly state a noted paleoanthropologist who says such foolishness lol..

viocjit

Quote from: "ticdog"The human animal will evolve into a more advanced form of life , that animal will
look upon humans as humans look upon Neanderthals  

Humans gradual, continuous change will eventually dispel the myth of God
Our evolution will happen it is just a matter of time.

Nobody know if a day no one will believe in God.