News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Darwinism

Started by ticdog, March 27, 2013, 11:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surly74

technically no we didn't. shared ancestor. in the same sense technically your bird analogy is incorrect.

//http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/faq/cat02.html

Quote1. Did we evolve from monkeys?   

Humans did not evolve from monkeys. Humans are more closely related to modern apes than to monkeys, but we didn't evolve from apes, either. Humans share a common ancestor with modern African apes, like gorillas and chimpanzees. Scientists believe this common ancestor existed
5 to 8 million years ago. Shortly thereafter, the species diverged into two separate lineages. One of these lineages ultimately evolved into gorillas and chimps, and the other evolved into early human ancestors called hominids.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

La Dolce Vita

Incorrect. We are still apes, and the common ancestor between us and the various other ape species would also be classified as apes. The current human species is also evolved from various other human species.

Edit: The quote you chose tries to explain, rather poorly at that, that we are not evolved from any of the other ape species we see today.

surly74

Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"Incorrect. We are still apes, and the common ancestor between us and the various other ape species would also be classified as apes. The current human species is also evolved from various other human species.

Edit: The quote you chose tries to explain, rather poorly at that, that we are not evolved from any of the other ape species we see today.

huh? waa?
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Sal1981

Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"
Quote from: "Sal1981"
Quote from: "ticdog"My theory is humans will evolve into a more advanced thinking animal .
Darwin says we evolved from monkeys and I think we will keep evolving so
I am chatting about it ,,, Humans are made in the image of God  I think not.
Actually, we share a common ancestry, we didn't evolve from apes.

Well, technically we did evolve from apes. In the same sense that seagulls evolved from birds of course.  :rollin:
Yeah, sorry about that, when I wrote "apes" I meant today's species of apes, not the category.

La Dolce Vita

Quote from: "surly74"
Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"Incorrect. We are still apes, and the common ancestor between us and the various other ape species would also be classified as apes. The current human species is also evolved from various other human species.

huh? waa?

Were you unaware that homo sapiens, all of the other now exctinct members of the homo family, as well as several of their ancestors - including the ancestors gorillas and the other current ape species share with us  - are classified as apes?

Jason Harvestdancer

The common ancestor of Humans and the other apes would be, by any reasonable definition, an ape.  Just not an ape that is around today.

The common ancestor of apes and the other monkeys would be, by any reasonable definition, a monkey.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Hydra009

Quote from: "surly74"technically no we didn't. shared ancestor. in the same sense technically your bird analogy is incorrect.
No, he's correct.  We did evolve from apes.  Humans are great apes.  Chimps are great apes.  And our common ancestor was most certainly a great ape.  And of course, all great apes are apes.

Did we evolve from monkeys?  No.  Besides, monkey is a stupid paraphyletic term, anyway, since it includes both New-world monkeys and Old-world monkeys, but not apes.  In light of clades, the term is scientifically incorrect.

Humans are animals, chordates, tetrapods, amniotes, mammals, primates, and apes - and evolved from species within that lineage.

La Dolce Vita

About humans potentially evolving from monkeys, I do find this talk by AronRa fairly convincing:

[youtube:19g1c91m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6R9RHvVew[/youtube:19g1c91m]

surly74

Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"
Quote from: "surly74"

huh? waa?

Were you unaware that homo sapiens, all of the other now exctinct members of the homo family, as well as several of their ancestors - including the ancestors gorillas and the other current ape species share with us  - are classified as apes?

i think it's quite obvious now i wasn't aware of that.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

surly74

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "surly74"technically no we didn't. shared ancestor. in the same sense technically your bird analogy is incorrect.
No, he's correct.  We did evolve from apes.  Humans are great apes.  Chimps are great apes.  And our common ancestor was most certainly a great ape.  And of course, all great apes are apes.

Did we evolve from monkeys?  No.  Besides, monkey is a stupid paraphyletic term, anyway, since it includes both New-world monkeys and Old-world monkeys, but not apes.  In light of clades, the term is scientifically incorrect.

Humans are animals, chordates, tetrapods, amniotes, mammals, primates, and apes - and evolved from species within that lineage.

[ Image ]

very good.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

caseagainstfaith

There have been some claims that we are evolving to be less intelligent.  We don't need to be as intelligent anymore given that our society has changed to where we can sit in front of the TV all day.  Yes, of course humans are evolving.  But, into what, I don't think anybody can say.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: "caseagainstfaith"There have been some claims that we are evolving to be less intelligent.  We don't need to be as intelligent anymore given that our society has changed to where we can sit in front of the TV all day.  Yes, of course humans are evolving.  But, into what, I don't think anybody can say.
Idiocracy.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

JI_Joe

what the heck this guy is on crack!!! :-k

JI_Joe

Quote from: "caseagainstfaith"There have been some claims that we are evolving to be less intelligent.  We don't need to be as intelligent anymore given that our society has changed to where we can sit in front of the TV all day.  Yes, of course humans are evolving.  But, into what, I don't think anybody can say.
There are few studies on long enough scales to show a definite change in human intelligence.  most early starts had their roots in bigotry designed to allow white Europeans to kidnap darker skinned people for cheap labor.  be careful with this line of "studies"  [-X

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "gregm766"
Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "ticdog"The human animal will evolve into a more advanced form of life,
Oh?  And what makes you say that?

Excellent point, in the novel Galapagos's, Vonnegut postulates that Homo Sapiens evolve into a less intelligent life form that are essentially fat, dumb, happy, and almost [s:336i5omd]sea lion[/s:336i5omd] Rush Limbaugh like.

Like a typical Amurikan. :P