News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

People Person?

Started by gentle_dissident, May 28, 2016, 01:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: marom1963 on May 29, 2016, 03:29:56 PM
Didn't you know - leaders usually hate the people whom they lead?

Familiarity breeds mutual contempt.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

stromboli

I've made more friends by making intelligent random comments in a social situation and had an intelligent random comment in response. That's how I met my wife. People that approach you likely have an agenda, which is why I blow them off. Most of my friendships have evolved from work or duty situations. My past best friends were Navy buddies or others I worked with professionally. Our friendship was based on trust, knowing they could handle their shit and you could rely on them.

I have exactly one friend now because I don't have a need for friends- I'm a very self contained person. I grew up dealing with my personal issues mostly by myself, so look to myself first for the solution. I know a lot of people who immediately seek out friends for advice or help. I don't do that, because self reliance is essential with me.

I was always pretty much an outcast socially growing up, that certainly didn't help- either  from being poor or not physically attractive. Nothing wrong with being a loner, except the marshmallow brains that need to include you in everything.

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on May 30, 2016, 09:55:35 AM
I've made more friends by making intelligent random comments in a social situation and had an intelligent random comment in response. That's how I met my wife. People that approach you likely have an agenda, which is why I blow them off. Most of my friendships have evolved from work or duty situations. My past best friends were Navy buddies or others I worked with professionally. Our friendship was based on trust, knowing they could handle their shit and you could rely on them.

I have exactly one friend now because I don't have a need for friends- I'm a very self contained person. I grew up dealing with my personal issues mostly by myself, so look to myself first for the solution. I know a lot of people who immediately seek out friends for advice or help. I don't do that, because self reliance is essential with me.

I was always pretty much an outcast socially growing up, that certainly didn't help- either  from being poor or not physically attractive. Nothing wrong with being a loner, except the marshmallow brains that need to include you in everything.
^This.  Almost to a tee!!

I have one friend (besides my wife) in my life right now.  I had more when I was working, because of the trust and reliability thing.  Now that I'm retired, I am very self contained--and like it that way.  I like to say that I, like Jesus(snark, snark), am a trio--me, myself and I; and we get along very well !  It was not always so--but through the school of hard knocks I have found that I can rely on that group.  The biggest difference I see between us, Strom, is that you are self directed to the outside and crafting with your hands.  That is totally laudable!  I admire that ability.  I am almost totally self directed to inside; I live computer games (solo only!), reading, being with my dogs and the like.  But my wife is a great gardener, so I assist her as the shovel man--she is the engineer of an entire corner lot organic garden; I am manual labor.  But that's cool.  (Well, not now, it is very hot--7 days of 100+; shoveling is now harder!)

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

marom1963

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 30, 2016, 11:45:35 AM
^This.  Almost to a tee!!

I have one friend (besides my wife) in my life right now.  I had more when I was working, because of the trust and reliability thing.  Now that I'm retired, I am very self contained--and like it that way.  I like to say that I, like Jesus(snark, snark), am a trio--me, myself and I; and we get along very well !  It was not always so--but through the school of hard knocks I have found that I can rely on that group.  The biggest difference I see between us, Strom, is that you are self directed to the outside and crafting with your hands.  That is totally laudable!  I admire that ability.  I am almost totally self directed to inside; I live computer games (solo only!), reading, being with my dogs and the like.  But my wife is a great gardener, so I assist her as the shovel man--she is the engineer of an entire corner lot organic garden; I am manual labor.  But that's cool.  (Well, not now, it is very hot--7 days of 100+; shoveling is now harder!)
Where do you live that the temperature is that high in May?
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Shiranu

I love people, hence the reason both my future careers ( either in anthropology or teaching, though psychology seems cool as well) all directly deal with people.

That said, I'm an extremely emotional and insecure person, so I normally just end up hurting the people I want to get to know.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

marom1963

Quote from: Shiranu on May 30, 2016, 11:49:34 AM
I love people, hence the reason both my future careers ( either in anthropology or teaching, though psychology seems cool as well) all directly deal with people.

That said, I'm an extremely emotional and insecure person, so I normally just end up hurting the people I want to get to know.
Skinner was an excellent psychologist - but I'm sure that he hated people.

I'm  a people person. I only daydream about sitting in a machine-gun nest, firing on everyone that goes by. I wouldn't actually do it ... I don't think.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

gentle_dissident

United we stand. Divided we fall.

Disdain and apathy give us no right to complain. That's how it got this way.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 30, 2016, 11:49:34 AM

You have a lot of potential to do that ... because you can't understand hurt people (the majority) unless you have been hurt.  I hope you find your catharsis that will allow you to use your problems to help others with similar problems.  That is what shamen do.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Baruch on May 30, 2016, 01:13:17 PM
I hope you find your catharsis that will allow you to use your problems to help others with similar problems.  That is what shamen do.
:jazzband:

Mike Cl

Quote from: marom1963 on May 30, 2016, 11:48:46 AM
Where do you live that the temperature is that high in May?
In the middle of the fucking dessert!!!  Will be, if we don't start getting some rain. I live in the middle of the San Joaquin Valley--the very valley that produces the produce you likely get  in your market.  I mean, we grown almonds, any melon you can think of, cotton, walnuts, figs, citrus, lettuce, tomatoes, apricots, peaches, grapes (raisins)--and the list goes on!  Yeah--7 fucking days of 100--with Fri and Sat getting fucking 108!!!!!  What am I doing still living here!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

gentle_dissident

Mike Cl

Quote from: gentle_dissident on May 30, 2016, 03:18:05 PM
My condolences.

Thanks! :)))  It is one bigggggggg frappin' valley.  It stretches from Redding in the north, to Bakersfield (Lil' Nashville) in the south; it would take 7 hrs of freeway driving to go one to the other.  That's a valley!  And it produces more than most countries; I am spoiled by it--if an apple has one blemish, or a tomato has one flaw in it's skin--back it goes and I get another.  But it has been getting hotter lately.  We were going to move to near Eugene, OR (GOD's country!!)--but Dubya happened and the house prices when to shit.  So, here we stay.  But I do love the house I'm in and the critters I share it with--my wife and dogs--I'm not bitching all that much. :))

Baruch

Was sad to see, because of the drought, the orchard folks were pulling up all of the almond trees.  Half a lifetime ago, I saw old abandoned olive trees north of Sacramento ... just going to seed.  Sad.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on May 28, 2016, 02:42:48 PM
I used to think I was, but not so much anymore.  But it's OK.

I'd say you are.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp