Translated article: Jewish school enforces religious dresscode for moms

Started by Mr.Obvious, May 19, 2016, 04:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Jewish school enforces religious dresscode for moms

ANTWERP 2018 (county code) - The Jewish -orthodox school Jesoda Hatora threatens sanctions against mothers of students who, according to the school, dress too exposed when dropping their kids off.

Several mothers received a letter by the school in the past few days, calling them out for breaking the dresscode.

The orthodox Jesode Hatora school, the biggest and oldest jewish educational institution in our country [Belgium], not only commands a strict, religious dresscode to it's female students, but also to the mothers. For instance it's mandatory to wear a skirt fully covering the knee at anytime when coming into contact with the school. Also the head of the woman must be covered completely. Women must wear tights at all time and it's forbidden to leave the neck and elbows uncovered.

Mothers who will not oblige risk "very unpleasant measures", according to the school.

The modern-orthodox parents react with bewilderment to the letter. "The school is trying to tell us how to dress. They want our woment to dress like those in Afghanistan.", a father says.[/img]

source: http://www.gva.be/cnt/dmf20150611_01727259/joodse-school-legt-mama-s-religieuze-kledingcode-op

I remember reading this when it was first published. Wanted to type the full article then, but forgot. Don't have it anymore via newspaper.
Can't find anything of any unpleasant measures having been implemented since. Did the wild-orthodox, neck-showing moms cave, or did the school back down? Wish I knew. Might dig around more later.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

I think it is particularly complicated in Europe ...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-fisher/europes-great-cover-up_b_583364.html

The conditions in N America or Israel, would be completely different for Jewish women's dress.

Hypothesis ... this is an Orthodox Jewish school

If the school allows students from outside the Orthodox community, then they can't enforce standards on the parents, but they can on the children, as a condition of admission.

If the school only allows students from within the Orthodox community, then the parents and children are both subject to the dress code all the time

In Europe however, there is a state driven "laicity" particularly in France.  This article is about Belgium, which is half French.  Don't know how far Belgium goes with "laicity".  Laicity would enforce a secular dress code on everyone.  We don't have anything like this in N America, outside of Orthodox Jewish communities or Amish.  Israel is even more secular than Europe or N America ... except in very small Orthodox enclaves.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on May 19, 2016, 06:01:06 PM

Hypothesis ... this is an Orthodox Jewish school

If the school allows students from outside the Orthodox community, then they can't enforce standards on the parents, but they can on the children, as a condition of admission.

If the school only allows students from within the Orthodox community, then the parents and children are both subject to the dress code all the time

I don't know for certain if they don't allow students outside of the jewish faith, but it is very much a school built on the principles of the Jewish faith and grounded in orthodox tradition. The school therefore 'lives' and teaches by the orthodox tradition, if that makes sense. Orthodox rules apply for all students at the school, as to say. If that means you can apply the rules to the parents... Don't fully agree. But that just might be my French-half speaking. :p
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 19, 2016, 06:21:34 PM
I don't know for certain if they don't allow students outside of the jewish faith, but it is very much a school built on the principles of the Jewish faith and grounded in orthodox tradition. The school therefore 'lives' and teaches by the orthodox tradition, if that makes sense. Orthodox rules apply for all students at the school, as to say. If that means you can apply the rules to the parents... Don't fully agree. But that just might be my French-half speaking. :p

You join the Jewish army, you have to wear the Jewish uniform.  But non-Orthodox parents haven't joined, and non-Orthodox students are just trying it on for size ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.