USPS accued of bias against atheists, Examiner.com article.

Started by Brian37, March 27, 2013, 06:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Isn't it kinda silly that call your company "Atheist shoes"? What does atheism have to do with shoes?

Plu

Calling your company "atheist shoes" is a bit silly. Meddling with the mail of other people on the other hand, is a federal offense. It shouldn't matter what you write on your mail, as long as it's delivered to the specified address on time.

WitchSabrina

Meh - I'd have packages vanish ever so often from my local Post Office. (shipping out completed orders) Finally, went in and raised a stink.  The manager dug till he found out who had a problem with my return address (contains word: witch) So..... that person was fired and call of apology from the Post office.  I thought the post office was very proactive immediately following my complaint/concern.  Yes, the problem employee was a fundie.

I don't get the "atheist shoes" part of this??
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Sal1981

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"I don't get the "atheist shoes" part of this??
That's the exact name of the German company shipping them.

Although I still think it's a silly name for a shoe company, messing with packages is worse.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Sal1981"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"I don't get the "atheist shoes" part of this??
That's the exact name of the German company shipping them.

Although I still think it's a silly name for a shoe company, messing with packages is worse.

Agreed.  Are Atheists' shoes the opposite of sandals?  *smirk*

:rollin:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

AllPurposeAtheist

That footprints in the sand thing.. I'd follow those atheist shoes or was she walking beside me?
Oh, that's right.. I remember that girl in the bikini and knee high boots.. how forgetful of me. :roll:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

I get the impression the Post Office is actually pretty discrete about handling the mail, although I have wondered if my postman doesn't make judgments about me based on things I receive.  Not that I receive bizarre packages from odd sources.  He'd be more likely to think I have an unusual fondness for Netflix movies.  The Post Office is a big outfit, and I'm sure it has a lot of fundies on it's staff.  It would be discrimination not to hire fundies because of their religious beliefs, even though it seems quite likely that their beliefs would selectively impede the delivery of mail.

What seems odd is that a company in pursuit of capitalistic accumulation would identify itself as "atheist".  Coming out of the closet to advance the cause is one thing, but why advertise in a way that would antagonize?

Plu

QuoteWhat seems odd is that a company in pursuit of capitalistic accumulation would identify itself as "atheist". Coming out of the closet to advance the cause is one thing, but why advertise in a way that would antagonize?

Please note that this company is from Germany, not the US. In Germany, nobody will give a fuck.

SGOS

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteWhat seems odd is that a company in pursuit of capitalistic accumulation would identify itself as "atheist". Coming out of the closet to advance the cause is one thing, but why advertise in a way that would antagonize?

Please note that this company is from Germany, not the US. In Germany, nobody will give a fuck.
Yes, I noticed that and took it into account, but if they want to do business in the US, it seems they are approaching it in a way that would be counter to their interests.  Or maybe I'm missing the strategy.  Perhaps the news coverage about their post office "investigation" will up their sales.  Who knows?

Plu

I'm guessing that shipping to the US isn't their core business. That, or they're aiming for the atheist market in the US, where you're either just another shoe company, or "rebels like us" to people.

They probably have their reasons. There's plenty of atheists in the US, and they need shoes as well.

SGOS

Quote from: "Plu"They probably have their reasons. There's plenty of atheists in the US, and they need shoes as well.
There's no doubt a potential niche market to be tapped, but "atheist shoes" sounds about as valuable as Koshered pickles, at least to me.  I'm not sure atheists would prefer atheist shoes to Cabella's or LL Bean's.  I certainly wouldn't pay extra for the name, but that's just me.  Now if they came in narrow widths, I'd consider them, because what really interests me is a comfortable fit.

Plu

If there's one thing I've learned about markets, it's that you should never think "How can this work? I'd never buy this and I don't know anyone who will".

After all; they still manage to sell Uggs.

SGOS

Quote from: "Plu"If there's one thing I've learned about markets, it's that you should never think "How can this work? I'd never buy this and I don't know anyone who will".

After all; they still manage to sell Uggs.
I agree.  So I've heard, ad companies on Madison Avenue do actual market research.  They don't just intuitively guess about what makes things sell.  They try out various approaches and quantify the results in a lab or small geographic test areas, often with surprising results.