Conclusive proof that Jesus was NOT divine

Started by reasonist, May 10, 2016, 10:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Lol. In a universe of immense size and vastness and a world of millions of square miles, god chose to present his entire scenario within a few thousand square miles of desert in the Middle East. Which was pretty much the known world in the Bronze Age. What a coincidence.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 24, 2016, 09:58:16 AM

The point, Mike, is that if God exists and has all of the attributes that theists acknowledge, then:

If, if, if.  Your fear mongering does not work.  I have heard this stuff all my life.  Fear--the trump card of the theists.  Better believe, for if you do, you are saved.  If not, you go to hell.  If I (the theist) am wrong, then what do you have to lose?  I lose my own self respect if I believe this tripe because of fear.  I lose my ability to reason and consider things critically.  I lose myself.  I refuse to worry about the 'then:'.  If your fictional god or your fictional jesus wish to make themselves known, then they know what to do.  Until then, I will act in a sane manner based upon reasoning and critical thinking.  You can act on any fiction you wish.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Randy Carson link=topic=10032.msg1133720#msg1133720 date=1464098296

"God is capable
of revealing himself worldwide], but he chose to covenant Himself with a single people, the Jews, in order to prepare for the Incarnation."

You keep spouting this fiction.  How do you know what god chose or chooses to do?  Apparently you have a pipeline into god's mind.  That's a neat trick, considering that god is a fiction.  Or are you god's human consultant?  How did he ever get along until you showed up??????  Repeater Randy, you keep repeating this crap over and over.  It will never make any sense.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

marom1963

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 24, 2016, 11:04:22 AM
You keep spouting this fiction.  How do you know what god chose or chooses to do?  Apparently you have a pipeline into god's mind.  That's a neat trick, considering that god is a fiction.  Or are you god's human consultant?  How did he ever get along until you showed up??????  Repeater Randy, you keep repeating this crap over and over.  It will never make any sense.
Well, it's in the Bible, of course! And that's all there is to it. Read that and you'll understand.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Randy Carson

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 24, 2016, 11:04:22 AM

Because people who were present when God promised to do so wrote about it.

The word "covenant" appears 322 times in the scriptures. Have you seen this in your reading?
Some barrels contain fish that need to be shot.

Mike Cl

Quote from: marom1963 on May 24, 2016, 11:09:27 AM
Well, it's in the Bible, of course! And that's all there is to it. Read that and you'll understand.
Over and over again we read that.  I guess if the religious keep saying it, it will be true---for them. 

Randy Carson

Quote from: marom1963 on May 24, 2016, 11:09:27 AM

Probably not given the mental acuity I've observed so far, but it would be a start...

Mike Cl

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 24, 2016, 11:12:14 AM
Because people who were present when God promised to do so wrote about it.

The word "covenant" appears 322 times in the scriptures. Have you seen this in your reading?
Well, I'll be damned--that is the exact count I came up with!!

Randy Carson

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 24, 2016, 11:14:16 AM
Well, I'll be damned--that is the exact count I came up with!!

Then why did you ask, "How do you know what god chose or chooses to do?"

You have already seen God's thoughts on the covenant he established in the course of your own Bible study.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 24, 2016, 11:42:07 AM
Then why did you ask, "How do you know what god chose or chooses to do?"

You have already seen God's thoughts on the covenant he established in the course of your own Bible study.
HHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marom1963

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 24, 2016, 11:13:33 AM
Probably not given the mental acuity I've observed so far, but it would be a start...
Oh, that hurt. I had to eat a whole bag Fritos to just to recover from that.You're so mean! I'm going to tell my mommy on you!
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

marom1963

Seriously. I find it difficult to understand how anyone cannot understand that offering up Scripture as proof is the same as offering up no proof. One might as well offer up a phone directory. It's a pile of paper w/printed words on it. A maniac could easily read meaning into it. How does what a band of believers said 2 millenniums ago make a difference? "He said" - well, he's DEAD. What about now? Oh, a miracle! We're always falling back on those non-events. Show me one, and I'll believe it. Again - a case of something that has never stood up to the least scrutiny. The crying saint? Well, Henry # 8's agents found the bore holes in the statue's eyes and the pump mechanism that made the statue cry! The RCC is very wise in not allowing Holy Relics to be scientifically examined! I believe that one saint's bone that was examined turned out to belong to a dog!
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Randy Carson

Quote from: marom1963 on May 25, 2016, 07:02:19 AM
Oh, that hurt. I had to eat a whole bag Fritos to just to recover from that.You're so mean! I'm going to tell my mommy on you!

Randy Carson

Quote from: marom1963 on May 25, 2016, 07:31:43 AM
Seriously. I find it difficult to understand how anyone cannot understand that offering up Scripture as proof is the same as offering up no proof. One might as well offer up a phone directory. It's a pile of paper w/printed words on it. A maniac could easily read meaning into it. How does what a band of believers said 2 millenniums ago make a difference? "He said" - well, he's DEAD. What about now? Oh, a miracle! We're always falling back on those non-events. Show me one, and I'll believe it. Again - a case of something that has never stood up to the least scrutiny. The crying saint? Well, Henry # 8's agents found the bore holes in the statue's eyes and the pump mechanism that made the statue cry! The RCC is very wise in not allowing Holy Relics to be scientifically examined! I believe that one saint's bone that was examined turned out to belong to a dog!

Forget about "scripture" for a moment, okay? We're not dependent on "inspiration".

Simply look at Matthew, Mark, Luke and John (as well as Paul's letters) for what they are: historically reliable accounts of some events which occurred in first-century Judea.

What do they tell us AS HISTORY?

Well, that a guy named Jesus got crucified and according to his disciples he came back to life three days later?

Is this credible?

If not, why not?

Blackleaf

I've given Randy the chance to prove he was right before, but he chose to ignore it instead. Why? Because he knows that if he asks his god for a miracle, he's going to be met with silence.

Here's another chance. Any Christian at all is welcome to try to repeat Elijah's demonstration. In case you forgot how it works, here's some instructions:

1. Take some beef and place in on a pyre.

2. Pour water all over the meat and wood three times. But you know what? To make things easier on your god, you can skip this step.

3. Say these words, "Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command. Answer me, Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, Lord, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again."

4. Wait for heavenly fire to light up the wood and meat.

5. Kill the witnesses. Wait. No, that you get you in some legal trouble. You can skip this one too.

Let me know when you want to attempt this so I can watch. After all, if God is willing to prove himself this way once, why not a second time? What's wrong? Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened. Is that what's preventing you?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--