News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Cross of Jesus found!

Started by ApostateLois, August 02, 2013, 10:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

Quote from: "Antyla"Spent here only a few hours & I'm thinking of becoming a full fledged Atheist -.- WTF is a Baha'i?

Welcome to the dark side. Cookie?

The Baha'i are a fairly new addition (19th century) to the religious roster. Quick summary from wikipedia:

QuoteThe Bahá'í Faith /b??ha?/[1] is a monotheistic religion emphasizing the spiritual unity of all humankind.[2] Three core principles establish a basis for Bahá'í teachings and doctrine: the unity of God, that there is only one God who is the source of all creation; the unity of religion, that all major religions have the same spiritual source and come from the same God; and the unity of humanity, that all humans have been created equal, and that diversity of race and culture are seen as worthy of appreciation and acceptance.[3] According to the Bahá'í teachings the human purpose is to learn to know and love God through such methods as prayer, reflection, and being of service to humanity.

Antyla

Quote from: "Plu"
Quote from: "Antyla"Spent here only a few hours & I'm thinking of becoming a full fledged Atheist -.- WTF is a Baha'i?

The Baha'i are a fairly new addition (19th century) to the religious roster. Quick summary from wikipedia:

QuoteThe Bahá'í Faith /b??ha?/[1] is a monotheistic religion emphasizing the spiritual unity of all humankind.[2] Three core principles establish a basis for Bahá'í teachings and doctrine: the unity of God, that there is only one God who is the source of all creation; the unity of religion, that all major religions have the same spiritual source and come from the same God; and the unity of humanity, that all humans have been created equal, and that diversity of race and culture are seen as worthy of appreciation and acceptance.[3] According to the Bahá'í teachings the human purpose is to learn to know and love God through such methods as prayer, reflection, and being of service to humanity.

I'll have to research more on that cause he said that the Baha'i faith has something about Jesus.. @_X

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Antyla"

I'll have to research more on that cause he said that the Baha'i faith has something about Jesus.. @_X
They see most major religious figures as prophets, including Buddha, Jesus, and Muhammed.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

Quote from: "Antyla"

They see most major religious figures as prophets, including Buddha, Jesus, and Muhammed.
It seems like an outgrowth of Islam.  I suppose the Ba Ha Highness (I can't remember the word they use for their cult leader) saw the fighting between the Muslims, Christians, and maybe Buddhists, and decided to do a Rodney King and ask, "Why can't we all get along?"  So he put a few religions together and declared that all were right, which didn't go over well in Iran or wherever he was, and many of the new converts were persecuted or eliminated by the majority clergy.

I didn't realize Buddhism was part of it.  I have a friend who is a Bahai and he told me that the Bahai believe all religions are right, but only talks about the Bible and Koran.  This is what he told me, and just as most Christians, I suppose he doesn't know everything about his own religion.  I've suspected that "all religions are right" means the religions that make up Bahai are right.  Oddly, he doesn't like Christians, but that might be because Christians think he's nuts.

But therein strikes me as a logical problem.  If both religions are indeed right, but each declares the other wrong, how can they both be right?  One or all must be wrong, which would create a logical problem for the Bahai claim.  I've looked into it some, but not deeply, as I try to avoid spending too much time on ideas which have no evidence to back their basic foundations.

My conclusion from visiting their site was that it was just more bullshit.  I've also visited the Bahai Temple in a suburb north of Chicago.  It is indeed grand and a wonderful testimony to the faith's ability to fleece money from it's flock.

AllPurposeAtheist

It's really a Tooth Fairy relic.. don't be fooled people! :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Colanth

Quote from: "Antyla"The third option is very likely but the forth one is just off. Lets just try to stick to what we have right now
What we have right now is mere Christian assertion.  If you're going by assertions then, yes, there are two options.

But if you're going by fact and logic, Jesus never actually existed, there's not even a claim of a human-form Jesus until VERY LATE in the second century, and too much evidence to ignore that the story is a myth (because some of the claims either wouldn't have happened or are impossible).

And how do they know (not assert, know) that the splinter of wood that they found was ever part of one of the beams of a cross, let alone the one their supposed messiah was crucified on?

At most, only one religious belief can be correct.  At worst (for them) they're all wrong.  The default position is the latter.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

SGOS

Quote from: "Colanth"And how do they know (not assert, know) that the splinter of wood that they found was ever part of one of the beams of a cross, let alone the one their supposed messiah was crucified on?
There must be a shitload of stuff the ancients left behind which eventually got buried.  A piece of wood isn't really all that spectacular.  It's actually not impressive at all.  It's piece of wood for cryin' out loud.

But imagine a news item that says, "Archeologists find piece of 2000 year old wood.  Researchers at Cal Tech believe it may have been part of something, possibly a larger piece of wood." :rolleyes:

You Only Live Once

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/02/did-archaeologists-just-discover-a-piece-of-jesus-christs-crucifixion-cross/

Even if this thing dates back to exactly ZERO - how would anyone know its Jesus' ?

What you mean to tell you don't personally have any of JC's DNA kickin around?

the_antithesis

Quote from: "You Only Live Once"What you mean to tell you don't personally have any of JC's DNA kickin around?

I had some blood, but some christians broke in and drank it.

You Only Live Once

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "You Only Live Once"What you mean to tell you don't personally have any of JC's DNA kickin around?

I had some blood, but some christians broke in and drank it.

The original Vampires

Jorjor

Wasn't it common back then to crucify people on crosses?

Brian37

Every fucking generation since that book was concocted after the fact has manufactured forged relics.

The cross was a common torture device back then. But again, it still would not matter to me if we even found the body of a man named Jesus. It still would not make virgin births real or zombie gods real, much less ANY invisible sky daddy by any name.

All this proves is the gullibility of the masses back then and today.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Oh yeah...I heard about this. :rollin:

By the way, this tread is hillarious.

Agreed.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Colanth

Quote from: "Jorjor"Wasn't it common back then to crucify people on crosses?
It happened, but it wasn't common.  The common criminal who was given a death sentence was just killed.  (How depended on where and when, but usually not with as much work as it took to crucify someone.  A spear or sword was much more common.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.