Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Mark Wahlberg Planet of the Apes (2001) is a film I didn't know about, and being a mild fan of the franchise, this surprised me. The premise is the same as it is for all "apes" films, but the story is quite different. 43% and 24% ratings from critics and viewers, which may be the reason I never heard about it. It did hold my attention, mostly because I enjoyed comparing it to the original.  Even the most recent reboots with their spectacular special effects don't compare to the original story, which in my opinion is a Hollywood landmark, as outdated as it is in special effects.

Blackleaf

I don't know. I always considered the concept too silly to be able to take it seriously. I think I remember seeing that reboot, and I thought it was okay.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 12, 2024, 04:58:28 PMI don't know. I always considered the concept too silly to be able to take it seriously. I think I remember seeing that reboot, and I thought it was okay.
Silly for sure, but not meant to take seriously. But I thought it was an insightful commentary on social values (the original film, anyway). Silly/fun/thoughtful, except that the ending gave me a sick feeling.

Cassia

The Enemy Below....free on YT

Thrilling sea chase. Curd Jürgens and Mitchum, both excellent. Always liked Red Oct. I can tell they looked to this classic for inspiration.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cassia on May 14, 2024, 06:42:41 PMThe Enemy Below....free on YT

Thrilling sea chase. Curd Jürgens and Mitchum, both excellent. Always liked Red Oct. I can tell they looked to this classic for inspiration.

There was a very funny spoof on that one, doubt I could ever find it.

The movie was correct in the technical aspects. This from a retired Navy man.

BUT if you liked that one you should see "GREYHOUND". I was very impressed with that one. Tom Hanks plays USN Commander on his first war cruise, across Torpedo Alley.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers