Cop: "You're Recording Me? I Will Pull My Gun On You."

Started by Shiranu, March 23, 2016, 06:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

I would argue that, yet again, that situation should have never reached that point in the first place, but since people have already tried to argue that and it's been ignored for 8 pages now... I won't...

And again, you literally just said, "He was a dick, so it was okay to threaten him with death.". If the guy approached the cop first, okay, have at it you are dead right. He didn't. The cop approached and harassed him. You cannot justify that (regardless of how much you try), and that makes the initial blame on the officer. The PD, the internal investigation, agreed. If you want to say you know more than them, take it up with them.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Where did I say he should be threatened at all? Oh yeah. Nowhere. And don't presume that I did.

I am saying the cop was absolutely right in taking the precautions he did to keep himself safe. He didn't threaten anyone.

Better to be a swordsman in a garden, than a gardener in a sword fight.

I also agree that the situation never should have reached that point. And if the guy didn't approach his vehicle with his hand in his pocket in a way that made the cop think he had a weapon, or if he just removed his hand when the cop wanted to make sure Boatman had no weapon ready to pull on him, it wouldn't have got to that point and the gun wouldn't have been pulled at all.

Shiranu

QuoteWhere did I say he should be threatened at all? Oh yeah. Nowhere. And don't presume that I did.

QuoteThe only reason he pulled it at all ...

What is the point of pulling a gun if you aren't making a threat?

QuoteHe didn't threaten anyone.

We have very different definitions of what someone pulling a gun on you means.

QuoteI also agree that the situation never should have reached that point.

My god, you finally agree with us and the PD that the cop should have never escalated the situation! Praise the fucking lord!

QuoteAnd if the guy didn't approach his vehicle ...

Oh.

Btw, he walks to the front of his car and stops at the hood... which is quite a few steps away yet from the police car. It's not like he started standing hands length from the cop's window. If someone was recording my car, I would step towards the front of it, towards them, too.

Yet post after post after post you find some way to twist this into this guy's fault rather than admit that the cop was in the wrong for escalating the situation which the authorities who have all available evidence agree that he did not handle the situation as well as he could and start making up grand tales about how this guy was the one at fault and deserved to have a gun pulled on him.

Okay dude, we get it, the guy was a possible threat because he had his hand in his pocket, NO ONE HERE IS ARGUING AGAINST THAT, what we are saying is the cop should have never approached him in the first place, the cop should have never stopped for two minutes and harassed him in the first place, and when you are the one instigating a fight you don't get to cry victim when the other guy get's irritated with you. Especially when you do so hiding behind a badge and a gun.

Several times now you have made assumptions about the guy's actions that are either just that, assumptions, or do not match what happens in the video. Yet I am the one being criticized for assumptions and the person calling me on them is oddly quiet about your story writing to make this video fit your agenda. Odd how that works...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hijiri Byakuren

I think it might be time to give this discussion a rest. It's getting to the point where even the side I agree with is getting on my nerves.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Johan

Quote from: Shiranu on March 26, 2016, 04:59:23 PM
Moral of the story? Being a dick is grounds to be threatened with being shot and killed.

When cops are involved? Yep. Pretty much. And that's exactly how I want it to be.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

Quote from: Johan on March 26, 2016, 06:04:24 PM
When cops are involved? Yep. Pretty much. And that's exactly how I want it to be.

Thank god the majority still believe the police are there to "protect and serve" then instead of "harass and intimidate if Johan disapproves of you.".

PickelledEggs

Shir. You're argument is getting flat out ridiculous. I don't know what else there is to say, except maybe "don't be a dick to a cop and if the cop thinks you have a weapon, assure them, in the way they specify, that you don't" .... or you can, if you want and feel so bold to try and experiment with giving the cop an implied reason to take caution.

aitm

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 26, 2016, 05:53:00 PM
I think it might be time to give this discussion a rest. It's getting to the point where even the side I agree with is getting on my nerves.

Yeah, I agree, 12 pages of "he said-she said". There will be absolutely no agreement because we have differing backgrounds I guess. But it is what it is. If my argument can't convince anyone so be it. They surely made no points with me, so as Dave Mason sings, "we just disagree".
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 26, 2016, 06:29:28 PM
Shir. You're argument is getting flat out ridiculous. I don't know what else there is to say, except maybe "don't be a dick to a cop and if the cop thinks you have a weapon, assure them, in the way they specify, that you don't" .... or you can, if you want and feel so bold to try and experiment with giving the cop an implied reason to take caution.

If you really think "cops should not escalate a situation" is ridiculous, as you have demonstrated for 8 pages now, then I really have to admit I don't understand anything about you or the background you grew up in. To me that is a completely foreign idea that anyone could think cops escalating a situation is somehow justified...

PickelledEggs

Alright shir. Have fun with that. Go yell at a cop or something and see how it goes and then tell me what happens.

Nonsensei

I don't know why people are calling for an end to this discussion just because we aren't convincing each other.

When has that ever happened in anything we argue about?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

aitm

Quote from: Nonsensei on March 26, 2016, 07:18:56 PM
I don't know why people are calling for an end to this discussion just because we aren't convincing each other.

When has that ever happened in anything we argue about?

page 13 and we all have repeated our arguments at least 4 times and no one seems to give a shit. The next step is who can scream it the loudest…then it goes down hill from there.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

What aitm said. We keep saying the same thing over and over. We don't agree about a certain point and none of us are budging on it.

The only thing left is for one of you guys to go yell at a cop to prove us wrong...
or maybe there is validity to what we are saying after all... about how civilians should interact with the police and you know it.

You either truly believe that civilians should be able to be a dick to police like the way this guy was, or you don't. If you do, prove us wrong. If you think it's a bad idea to try to prove us wrong, your outlook on it isn't so on-point, is it?

That's all I have left to say in this thread.

aitm

Really? You couldn't just go "quietly into the night"?  Ah well, whats another 12 pages….

aitm

Hijiri..I meant to respond to your post but somehow it got waxed, and it doesn't even show up on the mod log as a mod action…so..sorry bout that, I think….not sure how i did it.