Assassination - Narendera Dabholkar

Started by Aupmanyav, August 21, 2013, 02:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aupmanyav

MUMBAI: A day after anti-superstition activist Narendra Dabholkar was shot dead, the Maharashtra government on Wednesday decided to promulgate an ordinance to enact a long-pending bill to eradicate black magic, blind faith and superstitious beliefs. The law will be the first such in the country.

The new measure will empower the government to bring under its ambit social and religious evils, human or animal sacrifices, rituals to drive out evil spirits or ensure a male progeny, perpetrated by self-styled godmen, witchcraft and wizardry practitioners, often cheating the gullible public.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 930127.cms
https://news.google.co.in/news/rtc?ncl= ... ZM&topic=n
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Valigarmander

Any news yet on who the perpetrators were?

Colanth

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"MUMBAI: A day after anti-superstition activist Narendra Dabholkar was shot dead, the Maharashtra government on Wednesday decided to promulgate an ordinance to enact a long-pending bill to eradicate black magic, blind faith and superstitious beliefs. The law will be the first such in the country.
I'd really like to know how that works - a law that will prevent people from believing nonsense.  All it's going to do is make people contemptuous of the law.  (Which seems to be quite common in India already.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Solitary

:cry:  :roll: I'm afraid you are right. How do you stop superstitious nonsense and magical thinking that's been going on for thousands of years? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "Valigarmander"Any news yet on who the perpetrators were?
Don't know yet if they were hindu nuts or muslim nuts, but probably hindu.

Don't know how the law deals with Yahweh, Allah, or Vishnu? :)
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "Colanth"I'd really like to know how that works -
First, it is a beginning. Second, now if a person makes a complaint, police will have to act. They can't say that it is personal belief. The law must have listed out what it means by superstition.

Colanth

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"
Quote from: "Colanth"I'd really like to know how that works -
First, it is a beginning.
It's the beginning of making people contemptuous of law, not the beginning of making them not believe.

QuoteSecond, now if a person makes a complaint, police will have to act. They can't say that it is personal belief. The law must have listed out what it means by superstition.
And the superstition mongers will modify how they say things so that they don't fall afoul of the law.

Atheon

Damn... it's almost as if some people have a vested interest in peddling superstitious and religious nonsense....
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

aileron

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"...enact a long-pending bill to eradicate black magic, blind faith and superstitious beliefs....

Good luck with that.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "Colanth"It's the beginning of making people contemptuous of law, not the beginning of making them not believe.
I think the law would help at least in a small way. I am not pessimistic about it.
Quote from: "Atheon"Damn... it's almost as if some people have a vested interest in peddling superstitious and religious nonsense....
Yes, for some it is their livelihood and more.

Colanth

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"
Quote from: "Colanth"It's the beginning of making people contemptuous of law, not the beginning of making them not believe.
I think the law would help at least in a small way.
It definitely would help - it would help people to think that law itself is ridiculous.  (You CAN NOT legislate belief.)

Aupmanyav

Colanth

As soon as the law can prove what people believe.  See, that's the problem.  A law prohibiting DOING something has a chance of being enforced.  A law prohibiting BELIEVING IN something is pure nonsense until someone invents a telepathy machine.

And making a law that can't actually be enforced (they can't prove that someone violated a law that prohibits belief) is just asking people to hold all laws in contempt, because the people who write such laws are idiots.  (Or maybe the people they're making the laws for are even more idiotic, so they won't notice how stupid the law is.  I haven't polled them, so I can't know.)

red

We've  (Europe) had laws like that before. The result being things like the Spanish Inquisition and the repression of Catholics in Britain which led to them being driven underground. Also various laws against Witchcraft, Heresy, Blasphemy and Apostasy (Thought Crime however you cut it). I hope the Indians will show a little more wisdom in the enforcement of this law.
Given that the assassination took place in Bombay, Muslim extremists would seem a likely group of suspects (they bomb the trains there every so often) though Shiv Sena is also active.

Aupmanyav

Muslims or Shiv Sena are not the suspects in this case. The law would, in a way, be a deterrence, because now the police will be interested in bribes from people involved. So only the people who can pay bribes would be able to engage in it. :)