UK law put forward to make anything photographed copyright

Started by Munch, January 19, 2016, 05:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

I heard about this after a ReviewTechUSA video popped up on youtube, it was the first time I heard of it, and made me wonder how serious a thing its going to be here.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/12/you-may-soon-need-a-licence-to-take-photos-of-that-classic-designer-chair-you-bought/

The basis sum up of it, will be that anyone in the uk living here, if they have taken a photo of anything in the last 70 years, and used that photo publicly, on online, if that photo has anything in it, be it a chair, a tv, a bed, a window, a piece of clothing.. anything like that, it that item comes under the trading standard for having a copyright claim, that person who took that photo would be expected to make a claim with the makers of that item, otherwise be expected to pay said company rights to feature that item.

Anything unassuming from the last 70 years that a company could class as 'advertising their product' will make anyone associated with those photos liable for copyright claim.

It begs the question, how will this effect the market and publication industry. Imagine how Ebay will look when people can't see anything here because of copyright claim for second hand goods.

Strangely though, I'm not actually worried about this somehow. Even if they passed this law, there is no way these corporations will be prepared for just how many people it effects, and the massive backlash it would cause.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

I was under the impression that the same concept is already law in the US, although not seriously enforced much of the time.  You take a photo, and there is an implied copyright.  It doesn't usually cause problems. 

I have a friend, an amateur photographer, who is kind of obsessed with his own photos, mostly of scenery.  He takes better photos than your average guy's wife standing in front of Buckingham Fountain, to be sure, but he's no  Ansel Adams, either.  At one time, he was photo shopping a copyright icon into his photos.  I thought it was a bit unnecessarily pretentious.  I don't know anyone that coveted his work.

Baruch

I suspect American and GB law are radically different.  I don't observe most of the 250 million laws and regulations of the US ... and I don't expect I will start to either.  Courts, lawyers and legislators are such stupid losers.  I feel sorry for the police ... sometimes.  So when is GB going to implement Shakespeare's ''The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers,''.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.