Referee beheaded by fans for killing player

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, July 06, 2013, 07:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

Quotehe doesn't need any reasons

For you he doesn't. For me he does. Whether he gives a damn about my opinion/approval is his own issue (I wouldn't, if I were him, but hey) but that doesn't change that I think you need a reason for the things you do.

It also doesn't mean he doesn't have good reasons. Most of the stuff mentioned in your post are very good reasons.

You seem to think I'm looking for deep existential reasons or something. I just want people to think for a few minutes about why they're doing something. "It's fun" is one of the easiest and best answers, but too many people keep doing something they don't enjoy because never think about why the hell they're doing that thing, and that's just silly.

Plu

Quote from: "surly74"
Quote from: "Plu"
Quoteanything can be art

So "art" is a word that has no meaning then? That's how I usually see it used, and why I don't use the word myself.

to me it doesn't (have meaning) but I have been unsuccessful in having everyone use my definition of words.

Myeah, for some reason keep using the word even though it's one of those words that not only has no fixed definition, but it doesn't even have some kind of cultural common understanding. It always sounds like a pointless word to me. I mean there's a few more (like "game") that seem to lack a fixed definition, but at least most people have a common understanding about what is and is not a game, giving the word some use.

surly74

Quote from: "Plu"
Quotehe doesn't need any reasons
You seem to think I'm looking for deep existential reasons or something. I just want people to think for a few minutes about why they're doing something. "It's fun" is one of the easiest and best answers, but too many people keep doing something they don't enjoy because never think about why the hell they're doing that thing, and that's just silly.

i'm going to save this answer and post it back sometime to you about another topic and perhaps then you can see the condescending douchery in it.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Johan

Quote from: "Shiranu"[I cant stand football or baseball, hence the reason I don't watch my "home" teams. I root for them because they are the home team,
And I rest my case.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Plu

Feel free. I'm quite open about being a condescending douche to people who don't think about what they're doing, and I think it's a good thing when people point out when I'm doing the same thing, because that allows me to fix the problem.

Shiranu

Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "Shiranu"[I cant stand football or baseball, hence the reason I don't watch my "home" teams. I root for them because they are the home team,
And I rest my case.

Your case on what? That I support people in my region, even if I don't necessarily enjoy the sport they play?

You really nailed me, then...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

And I rest my case.

Your case on what? That I support people in my region, even if I don't necessarily enjoy the sport they play?

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

surly74

QuoteFeel free. I'm quite open about being a condescending douche to people who don't think about what they're doing, and I think it's a good thing when people point out when I'm doing the same thing, because that allows me to fix the problem.

you know what's best for everyone?

i don't care what a person's reason for doing anything is. it's their reason and not for me to tell them whether its valid, important or not. just don't bitch to me when that person suffers a consequence of doing something "for the fun of it" however.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

surly74

Quote from: "Shiranu"
And I rest my case.

good job jerk. /s
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Plu

QuoteFeel free. I'm quite open about being a condescending douche to people who don't think about what they're doing, and I think it's a good thing when people point out when I'm doing the same thing, because that allows me to fix the problem.

you know what's best for everyone?

i don't care what a person's reason for doing anything is. it's their reason and not for me to tell them whether its valid, important or not. just don't bitch to me when that person suffers a consequence of doing something "for the fun of it" however.

How do you know that's best for everyone?

surly74

Quote from: "Plu"How do you know that's best for everyone?

I've never said I know what's best for everyone. people are allowed to make their own decisions and have their own reasons.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Plu

Wait what?

I must be misunderstanding you, then. You literally said "You know what's best for everyone?" and then gave your answer. What exactly did you mean by that?

surly74

Quote from: "Plu"Wait what?

I must be misunderstanding you, then. You literally said "You know what's best for everyone?" and then gave your answer. What exactly did you mean by that?

yes, i asked "you know what's best for everyone?" I was asking you specifically because it sounded like you were saying that unless it was a valid reason to you it wasn't correct.

i wasn't asking the question as in " do you know what's best for everyone??? I do" type deal.

I said, I don't care what a person's reason for doing anything is. want to jump in ocean and swim with great white sharks because it looks fun? go right ahead...just don't bitch to me when you come out of the water missing limbs.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Johan

Quote from: "Johan"Oh no you didn't! You did not just compare sporting events to art. Oops yes you did. So clearly you no earthly idea what art is. Here's a hint. There is entertainment, and then there is art. Sometimes something that qualifies as art can also serve as entertainment. But being entertainment in no way shape or form ever qualifies anything as automatically being art. Professional sports are most definitely entertainment. But they ain't ever art. No sir, not even close.

and there it is...the implied superiority of 'art' against sports. sports can be art, anything can be art, but not everything can be a sport. art can be entertaining as well. art is different to each person.

No superiority implied or otherwise was intended I can assure you. If my statement came across that way, then that's my bad and I apologize. Maybe I should have explained it this way. Art isn't better, its just different. The same as asking someone if they'd like an ear of corn with their meal and then handing them a slice of bread. One is corn, one is bread. Either one isn't better than the other, just different.

Obviously you and others don't agree with me on this and that's fine. But it would be pointless to steer the discussion into trying to define exactly what art is and what it isn't. Suffice it to say this though. I've seen lots of books on art. I've seen lots of different encyclopedia entries on art. I've never seen a baseball player listed as an example of an artist or the act of playing the game of baseball listed as a valid form of artistic expression in any one of them. That doesn't mean I'm right. That doesn't mean the art books and encyclopedias are right. But don't look at me like I'm the crazy one because I don't consider a couple of guys playing a game to be a form of artistic expression. I don't consider a guy painting the side of a barn red because the barn owner is paying him to do it to be a form of artistic expression either. If that makes me a snob then I guess I'm a snob.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

aitm

the shit people will argue about....I swear.. :Hangman:
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust