The Official Atheist Forums 'Bernie Sanders or Bust' Thread

Started by JBCuzISaidSo, September 17, 2015, 01:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBCuzISaidSo

It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

TomFoolery

Did you see him speaking to a rather stony-faced mob at Liberty University?

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/15-jaw-dropping-quotes-from-bernie-sanders-at-liberty-university/

I have to give him respect for leaping into the lion's den.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

josephpalazzo

He has a great plan ( see: http://usuncut.com/politics/top-economist-says-bernies-plan-will-actually-save-the-us-5-trillion/) The problem is if he ever gets elected, Congress would not follow in his footsteps, and you'll end up with gridlock for the next 4 years. However, that he is running on this platform might wake up some people. But it will take several generations before any of his ideas is implemented. For Americans, he is too far ahead of them. Sad.

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on September 17, 2015, 08:09:18 AM
Did you see him speaking to a rather stony-faced mob at Liberty University?

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/15-jaw-dropping-quotes-from-bernie-sanders-at-liberty-university/

I have to give him respect for leaping into the lion's den.
I gotta love me some Bernie Sanders!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 17, 2015, 08:58:08 AM
He has a great plan ( see: http://usuncut.com/politics/top-economist-says-bernies-plan-will-actually-save-the-us-5-trillion/) The problem is if he ever gets elected, Congress would not follow in his footsteps, and you'll end up with gridlock for the next 4 years. However, that he is running on this platform might wake up some people. But it will take several generations before any of his ideas is implemented. For Americans, he is too far ahead of them. Sad.
His agenda may or may not ever come to fruition, but Bernie is a skilled legislator. I doubt he would try to pass bills that have no chance of passing, but if he makes it to the white house he may just be able to sway the electorate to vote out the idiots currently clogging up the works. Anymore the presidency is increasingly seen as a two term gig because one term president rarely has time to effect change in 4 years. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Sylar

A lot of young people seem responsive to Sanders' platform, and I personally hope he gets elected.

I was at a comedy show recently and the comic was trying to get political. He asked "who here wants Trump to be elected?" and everyone booed. Same for Clinton. Then he asks "who do you want to be elected?" and everyone yelled "SANDERS". This was in a university setting, with people between 18-25 year old in attendance.

I don't think he will be able to accomplish much of his agenda due to Congress blocking him, but let's hope we get a Democrat-led Congress at least for the first couple of years. As president, he might be able to woo some of those Democrat Congresspersons into supporting his policies.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Mermaid

Sanders says all the right things. I am not convinced, however, that words and feasibility of actions line up.

We have a year to decide, however. I look forward to hearing details of his platforms in the coming year. Right now, I am planning to vote for Clinton.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Munch

Poor Bernie, if he doesn't win, this would be his only real chance, since in another 4-8 years he'll be to old
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

TomFoolery

Quote from: Munch on September 20, 2015, 12:24:59 PM
Poor Bernie, if he doesn't win, this would be his only real chance, since in another 4-8 years he'll be to old

Hillary Clinton is only about 6 years younger than Bernie.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Baruch

Bernie is behind the people, not ahead of them.  He is an echo of FDR ... who went out of style in 1945.  Obama tried to be a Black Lincoln ... but so far the Red Necks don't want off the plantation ;-(  Which candidate is the next Washington?  You know, someone who will make war on the central government?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

JBCuzISaidSo

It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.

JBCuzISaidSo

How many pre-designated holes do you think Bernie Sanders already fits in?

https://youtu.be/1JSBhI_0at0

I actually think THIS should be his campaign song. He's already got the millennial vote. Go for broke. ?
-- Ricky Gervais

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Mermaid on September 20, 2015, 10:13:35 AM
Sanders says all the right things. I am not convinced, however, that words and feasibility of actions line up.

We have a year to decide, however. I look forward to hearing details of his platforms in the coming year. Right now, I am planning to vote for Clinton.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LkJfuN6ruE

Clinton is one of the worst possible candidates for the Dems I think. Her personality is cringeworthy. She doesn't know how to get people excited. "Start thinking of Iraq as a business opportunity." Is that going to get liberals excited to support her? When talking about the email stuff, she admitted that she "just wasn't thinking much" when she started working for Obama. All of these dumb things she is saying are making her look really bad. Even her former biggest supporters, MSNBC, have thrown her under the bus. Joe Biden would just be an extension of the Obama administration, but he'd probably be more of a liberal president than Hillary. If Sanders can't get there, I think Biden is probably the better candidate for the Dems to run. He doesn't have a flat personality like Clinton, is better than her in debates, can connect with an audience pretty well, and doesn't continuously say the type of dumb shit Clinton says to shoot herself in the foot. Biden says some dumb shit, but not close to the level of dumb shit Clinton says.

AllPurposeAtheist

The more I read about Bernie the more holes I see in him. So far he's said almost nothing about foreign policy and the people who seem most impressed by him don't seem to care if we even have a foreign policy.  He's pretty much to the right with guns and has taken money from the NRA in the past.
I like Bernie, but he still has a lot of things to clarify and has to explain why he's such an ardent supporter of Israeli military and government. I realize he's Jewish, but that's simply not good enough.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

The "prefect" is the enemy of the "good enough".  This is why the Left has been impotent since 1968 ... that and fear of being shot.  Lincoln and FDR weren't perfect candidates either ... but they rose to the challenge.  Who can rise to the challenge?  Isn't Ms Clinton.  If she had walked out on Bill during the Bill's second term, as governor, not even yet President.  And run on her own, I could respect that.  There probably isn't anyone in America who could go toe to toe with Putin and not pee their pants.  its a sad day ... since about 1963.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.