News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Unchristian Christian Right

Started by stromboli, June 13, 2013, 09:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.alternet.org/belief/christian-right

some of the more egregious recent sins of those who claim to be holier than thou.

Quote1) Attempted murder. Tim Lambesis, the lead singer of the Christian metal band As I Lay Dying, was recently  arrested in California for trying to hire a hit man—who turned out to be an undercover police officer—to murder his estranged wife. Lambesis and his wife were deeply invested in evangelical Christian culture, even embracing the enthusiasm  for overseas adoption that has spread in recent years in the community by adopting three children from Ethiopia.

2) Enthusiastic support for bullying. The Christian right group Focus on the Family is so supportive of public school students' "right" to gay-bash that they've started a campaign to combat anti-bullying programs called True Tolerance. People for the American Way put together a report on what amounts to a Christian pro-bullying campaign

3) Starving the poor. The biblical Jesus Christ went around helping the poor and the sick and famously fed people with loaves and fishes. His modern-day conservative followers prefer to snatch food from the mouths of the hungry.

4) Demanding the breakup of loving families for ideological reasons. The Christian right loves to go on and on about the importance of family, but what they don't often admit is they are only talking about their families. The Christian right is forever trying to take away the right to parent from gay people by  interfering with gay adoptions, banning gay couples from using reproductive technologies, and in the case of religious right talk show host Bryan Fisher, encouraging his audience to kidnap children of gay parents and give them to straight people.

5) Denying people basic bodily functions as punishment for non-conformity. The Delaware legislature is quickly advancing a bill that would protect the rights of transgender people to live as the gender they identify with instead of the one they were assigned at birth.  Focus on the Family is going nuts, and one main reason is its hostility to transgender people using public restrooms.

6) False testimony. The Christian right loves championing the Ten Commandments and demanding they be hung in every public space imaginable. It's a weird fetish, since they tend to honor one in particular—"Thou shalt not bear false witness"—more in the breach than in the observance. Christian right activists lie about evolution, women's bodies, and gay people. One recent and notable example is Mark Regnerus, a right-wing Christian sociologist who has become famous for his tendency to publish intellectually dishonest attacks on gay people.

7) Exploiting sick people. The  Christian Post reports that Christine Daniel, a former doctor and ordained Pentecostal minister, was sentenced to 14 years in prison and told to pay over $1.2 million in damages to people she conned into believing that her herbal supplements would cure them of cancer. Daniel hawked her fake cancer cure on Trinity Broadcasting Network's "Praise the Lord" program, and was found to have done things like telling a patient who still had full-blown breast cancer that she was cured.

8) Using your position as a religious authority to rape minors. Sexually exploiting minors is such commonplace behavior in churches that Dan Savage of the Stranger had to limit his blogging about it to just youth pastors, lest he get overwhelmed trying to note every sex crime committed by a minister, priest, deacon, or any person with authority in a Christian church. Nowadays, having a person in authority arrested for a sex crime is as fundamental a part of being a right-wing Christian church as having anti-abortion pamphlets in the entrance hall to the sanctuary.

It's shit like this that continually reinforces my atheism. The so-called religious are the most hypocritical and back stabbing of any people I've encountered, and that includes Mormon used car salesman, who are about centipede level on the human scale. It is supposedly wrong to judge a group by certain individuals, but frankly in my experience the hypocrites outnumber the good people. I read the bible. How they justify their shit religiously or with the bible is beyond me.

WitchSabrina

Not that I support so-called christian values or sentiment - but #3 and #4 look like statements and not really proving news stories.   Not saying they're not true - I'm sure they are.  Just wish there was more factual police arrests, etc behind the statements of 3 & 4.

Actually, you could toss 3 and 4 to the curb and still have plenty of damaging evidence of all their bullshit.

Good find, Strom.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

stromboli

Every action in congress to suppress or remove welfare to people who need it, as well as applying drug testing and so forth, has been either promoted or supported by congressman connected to the christian right. May not be construed as factual journalism, but true enough nonetheless.

WitchSabrina

True enough.  Just wish 3 and 4 read as the other points do.
What the fuck do I care? lol   I'm gonna run this on FB anyway................  because I can. :rollin:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Colanth

Quote from: "stromboli"http://www.alternet.org/belief/christian-right

some of the more egregious recent sins of those who claim to be holier than thou.

Quoteand in the case of religious right talk show host Bryan Fisher, encouraging his audience to kidnap children of gay parents and give them to straight people.
If anyone did this without the cloak of Christianity, he'd be charged with, and convicted of, either inciting to commit a felony or conspiracy to commit a felony.

It's time we removed Christianity from the police stations and the courts.  Lock the guy up, try him (with an unbiased, that is an unChristian, jury) and notify his family that they won't be seeing him outside of barred rooms until they see him lying in his coffin.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

AllPurposeAtheist

May Gawd have mercy on t?eir souls and burn them for eternity because they deserve worse..  :Hangman:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.