If you had to choose a worldwide religion...

Started by atheist_in_a_foxhole, February 26, 2014, 07:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibliofagus

I can't think of any religion or ideology about which I could confidently say "yeah. This will make everybody better".
Am I weird?
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

Moralnihilist

Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

leo

Quote from: "Moralnihilist"Does beer worship count?
Yep. And tit worship.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Bibliofagus

How long do I have to worship before drinking it?
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: "Bibliofagus"

Drinking=worship
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Bibliofagus

Quote from: "Moralnihilist"
Quote from: "Bibliofagus"

Drinking=worship

Okay. Beer worship counts for me :)

Thumpalumpacus

Probably Buddhism-Lite ... no reincarnation or Wheel of Life, focused on rationality and susceptible to change.
<insert witty aphorism here>

stromboli

Beer existed before the beginning of recorded history, so by antiquity alone it has merit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer#History

QuoteBeer is one of the world's oldest prepared beverages, possibly dating back to the early Neolithic or 9500 BC, when cereal was first farmed,[11] and is recorded in the written history of ancient Iraq and ancient Egypt.[12] Archaeologists speculate that beer was instrumental in the formation of civilizations.[13]

I'd say you've got a good "case" right there.  :-D

Shiranu

QuoteCan save a billion people from starvation and still be evil if you teach them the tooth fairy is real, may as well let them die than live in ignorance.

I realize this is all hypothetical, never-going-to-happen... but wow, seriously? Shit, if it would save 1 starving person I would gladly teach them that the tooth fairy lives under their pillow and wants their teeth so they can have food on their table.

Ideology should never come before human suffering.

QuoteBeer is one of the world's oldest prepared beverages, possibly dating back to the early Neolithic or 9500 BC, when cereal was first farmed,[11] and is recorded in the written history of ancient Iraq and ancient Egypt.[12] Archaeologists speculate that beer was instrumental in the formation of civilizations.[13]

I seriously cannot stand beer... there was some Peach and Indian Pale that was drinkable, but if it wasn't with a friend on a rare occasion knowing that I wouldn't be expected to go drinking with them again... no thanks, I'll pass.

Though on the other hand, I always found the whole process of brewing beer (and all liquor for that matter) pretty interesting, so I guess I am not completely giving the middle finger to human history :P.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Plu

Worship mead instead. It is about the same age, and much tastier.

(Ohhhhh I see a competing religion coming  :roll: )

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

I feel strongly about this. I really feel that ancient alcoholic beverages that have nutrient value, can be made at home and have nurtured and eased mankind's pain for centuries is truly the answer. Mead and beer can live together in harmony.

I have proof of the spirituality of beer. Fat Tire, my personal fave, is not sold in Utah. Why? Competition and fear, my friend. The religious leaders tremble at the very name.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: "Plu"Worship mead instead. It is about the same age, and much tastier.

(Ohhhhh I see a competing religion coming  :roll: )

Not competing religion, mead is part of the trinity.

The Pale Ale, The Mead, The Holy Stout.

All respectable religions gots to have a trinity of sorts.