Right! They're Smartter Than atheists.

Started by Solitary, September 02, 2013, 12:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

QuoteNobody has ever healed a sick person by faith in God. Go ahead, try it. Let us know how it goes for you.

He won't, he doesn't have that much faith in god. That's why his child is (fortunately) in the hospital being healed by people who believe in reality instead of fairytales, instead of dying at home while daddy talks to non-existant beings.

Jason78

Quote from: "gomtuu77"Get 8 years of education and the very simple question will be answered huh?  Hahaha!!!

Very simple questions can have very complex answers. For example: Why is the sky blue?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Colanth

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "gomtuu77"Get 8 years of education and the very simple question will be answered huh?  Hahaha!!!

Very simple questions can have very complex answers. For example: Why is the sky blue?
What other color sky would you expect God to make?  This is Earth, not Krell.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

ApostateLois

I would expect a different color for each day of the week, so I can coordinate my clothes with it.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Solitary

Quote from: "Graceless"
Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"Who's that?

Derp. I meant drunkenshoe, but on closer reading it seems that's not actually what he's saying.

Quote from: "Solitary"I don't agree, because it depends on your definition of intelligence. A lot of people get straight As in school because they have terrific memories, or they are very knowledgeable. If someone believes in talking snakes and donkeys, and a magic man in the sky, and has Neanderthal magical thinking as an adult they are idiots.  :roll:  Solitary

It is true that there are many different kinds of intelligence. But even if someone has the right kind of intelligence, they might just never apply it in the right direction to become an atheist. After all, most people are indoctrinated into religion before they even comprehend the concept of critical thinking, and once a belief is lodged in a person's head under the "true" category they tend not to re-examine it.

And it isn't like atheism is inherently an indicator of intelligence, either. By default, manatees are atheists. Gorillas are atheists. Cockroaches are atheists. Just because we're provably right, doesn't mean we have to be smug about it.

You are kidding right? I suppose a rock is an atheist too by default. When a person is an adult and really believes in superstitious nonsense they are still intellectually and emotionally at the age of a small child. Just because some people are very good at rationalizing nonsense or are pragmatic doesn't make their beliefs true or they are intelligent. There are different kinds of stupid also. To believe in something that makes you feel good like prayer and religion is pragmatic, but just because it does doesn't make it a fact or the truth. Drugs can make you feel good too, does that prove there is a God? Atheist cockroaches, do they eat dead babies too?  :rollin:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Colanth

Quote from: "Solitary"
Quote from: "Graceless"And it isn't like atheism is inherently an indicator of intelligence, either. By default, manatees are atheists. Gorillas are atheists. Cockroaches are atheists. Just because we're provably right, doesn't mean we have to be smug about it.
You are kidding right? I suppose a rock is an atheist too by default.
The usual statement is that a chair is trivially an atheist.  A rock would be too, though.  Anything that has no belief in any god can be properly described as being atheistic.  Linguistically it's not limited to people.

QuoteWhen a person is an adult and really believes in superstitious nonsense they are still intellectually and emotionally at the age of a small child.
Only as regards theism.  A brilliant surgeon who believes in superstitious nonsense is still intellectually an adult when it comes to surgery.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.