Viral Video Shows What Happens When You Show People a Bible With a Quran's Cover

Started by Termin, December 09, 2015, 09:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Termin

http://mic.com/articles/129820/viral-video-shows-what-happens-when-you-show-people-a-bible-with-a-quran-s-cover-on-it?utm_source=policymicFB&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=WHFacebook&ts_pid=569&utm_content=inf_10_285_2&tse_id=INF_783db3b32de245e39b617ad414ceddf0#.sTzyIdaiZ

In the wake of extremist attacks like the one that rocked San Bernardino, California, on Wednesday, some people are quick to condemn Islam as dangerous. But it turns out if you simply swap the covers of the Bible and the Quran, people can't necessarily tell the difference between the passages of both that endorse violence.

Filmmakers Sacha Harland and Alexander Spoor, producers of the Holland-based YouTube channel Dit Is Normaal, replaced the cover of a Bible with one of the Quran and highlighted some of the holy book's most objectionable passages (such as Leviticus 20:13, which commands believers to put gays to death).

They then told random people on the street to read the highlighted sections of the Bible, telling them it was indeed a Quran. The results were illuminating â€" not knowing it was a Christian book they were reading, the passersby condemned the brutal commandments.

"If you've been raised with this book and these kind of thoughts it's going to influence the way you think," one man said.

Another woman commented, "To me, this sounds like they want to oppress you and force you to believe what they believe."

"Most of our people have experienced the freedom to make their own choices and freedom of speech, and having that freedom allows you to think differently," said another man.

It's yet another reminder that extremists wishing to do harm can find justification for their actions in any book.

However, as the Atlantic's Caner K. Dagli wrote in February, it's also wrong to assume the understanding of what Islam demands of its followers, hawked by terrorist organizations like the Islamic State group, is a literal interpretation of the Quran instead of an ideologically extreme reading.

"Determining what texts 'plainly' say is not as easy as spotting some words on a page," Dagli writes. "Islam's interpretative tradition exists because the differences between plain and hidden, elliptical and direct, absolute and qualified, are not always obvious."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEnWw_lH4tQ
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

pr126

I see that they did not approach any Muslims for the experiment. Play it safe?

Hydra009

QuoteAnother woman commented, "To me, this sounds like they want to oppress you and force you to believe what they believe."
To be fair, that could work for either one.

doorknob

UM I already knew that the bible sounds just like the quran. I'm pretty sure all three abrahamic religions pedal the same crap just different story.

I like this experiment though they should do this in America but I think it would offend so many people that it would become a problem. I'd love to see the reactions of the american people.

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on December 09, 2015, 10:48:53 PM

Probably more for the same reason you wouldn't approach African Americans on a study about how Anglos stereotype them. Irrelevant to the study?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: pr126 on December 09, 2015, 10:48:53 PM
I'm willing to bet good money that the people who were approached were majority Christians. You know, people who should know their bible.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

SGOS

It's not like the Koran and the Bible were written by writers with drastically different perspectives.  Both books come from the same Abrahamic sea of morbid immorality and superstition, and they are both built on the same bronze age myths.  The messages are going to sound the same.   But the video was a clever idea.

Sylar

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing that Christians aren't exactly memorizing their scripture, and I bet it would do the world a whole lot of good if Muslims relied less on memorization and more on interpretation.

I'm fine if they want to keep the "love thy neighbor" and throw out the "chop off thy neighbor's head."
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

pr126

Experience shows that some people read their holy books to find justification for their bad behaviour.

I prefer those who ignore their holy books.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on December 11, 2015, 05:39:45 AM
Experience shows that some people read their holy books to find justification for their bad behaviour.

I prefer those who ignore their holy books.

I would prefer a world where people weren't crazy in general ... no matter what books they read.  Blaming the books is like blaming the guns.  Hold people responsible ... ah but then I might be held responsible and my excuse for my bad behavior might not convince the yokels ... so no ... lets not hold people responsible.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Holy books never hurt anyone - it's people who read holy books who are to blame. :96:
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Unbeliever

Of course none of those people recognized it as being the Bible, since none of them has ever read the Bible - especially those who believe it to be "God's Holy Word."

Sure, it's a very hard book to read, but damn, if I though I had God's Holy Word to man in a book, I'd do all in my power to get to read it.

In fact, I did just that decades ago, and that's how I came to realize that it's just a book, like any other.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 11, 2015, 07:20:36 PM
Of course none of those people recognized it as being the Bible, since none of them has ever read the Bible - especially those who believe it to be "God's Holy Word."

Sure, it's a very hard book to read, but damn, if I though I had God's Holy Word to man in a book, I'd do all in my power to get to read it.

In fact, I did just that decades ago, and that's how I came to realize that it's just a book, like any other.

Yes, the deliberate ignorance of scripture following people ... never ceases to amaze.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman