Guns not a problem in Walmart store...

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, December 31, 2014, 07:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrdlr110

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 05, 2015, 08:07:37 PM
Ahem... 180 pounds.

Which he or I would, having that many pairs, would have weighed to find that answer......180lbs. I never said I didn't know there were 180lbs worth, only that ..........am I really taking the time to explain this? Shoot me please......and now we're even back on topic!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

hrdlr110

And  getting back to responsible gun owners......a police chief that was also a firearms instructor would be considered a responsible gun owner. Most would likely consider him towards the most responsible of the responsible given that he was a firearms instructor. Safety would surely be a huge part of that. This sort of story leads me to believe that there are very few truly responsible gun owners. Very few indeed. MN, I have no reason to include you in this group, so please don't take it as an attack, but this is a real head scratcher. And it doesn't really get much better if he shot her intentionally. That just moves the number into a different statistical catagory - still a negative one.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

Johan

Quote from: hrdlr110 on January 06, 2015, 04:41:03 AMa police chief that was also a firearms instructor would be considered a responsible gun owner. Most would likely consider him towards the most responsible of the responsible given that he was a firearms instructor. Safety would surely be a huge part of that. This sort of story leads me to believe that there are very few truly responsible gun owners. Very few indeed. MN, I have no reason to include you in this group, so please don't take it as an attack, but this is a real head scratcher. And it doesn't really get much better if he shot her intentionally. That just moves the number into a different statistical catagory - still a negative one.
But if he shot her intentionally, it makes the situation much less of a head scratcher and also no longer serves as proof for the point you're attempting to make.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Solitary

He shot her intentionally makes it safer for her that he was a responsible gun owner?  I guess so. He was responsible for killing her. Such logic astounds me.  :cool:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

hrdlr110

Quote from: Johan on January 06, 2015, 06:00:22 AM
But if he shot her intentionally, it makes the situation much less of a head scratcher and also no longer serves as proof for the point you're attempting to make.

Given the point I'm trying to make is that having guns around your home is more dangerous than not having guns around your home means that it actually does serve as proof. And yep, still a head scratcher by him thinking that everybody would buy that a highly responsible gun owner could have people believe that it was an accident.

MarineWarrior

I'm not a gun owner yet but I know that someday I will inherit my Dad's guns and my grandfather's guns.  I'm OK with this but I'll be getting a much better safe than what my dad has right now.  My children, son is 4 and daughter is 2, are very young and it baffles me that someone would carry a gun that one of them could easily operate.  I don't even let my kids have toy guns but I did get them toy lightsabers.  I do my best not to expose my kids to violent programming on TV but my kids do love Spiderman and the Avengers cartoons.  Shitty parenting and irresponsible gun owners get more news coverage in todays 24 hour news cycle.

I never touched a gun until I joined the Marine Corps.  I was taught then to treat EVERY gun as if it were loaded, never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot, never shoot at anything you do not intend to kill, and keep you finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.  Safety is paramount but unfortunately most people don't follow these simple rules.  Marines even forget these rules and it results in accidental deaths because someone was messing around and not paying attention.  The first thing I do (as taught by the USMC) is visually inspect any gun handed to me to ensure it is unloaded.  If I am showing someone a technique that I was taught then I keep the gun pointed away from them and if possible have it remain showing that it is in fact still unloaded.  People are fearful enough of guns in my opinion.  I did two tours in Iraq and handled weapons everyday and everyday I was never truly comfortable around them.  Guns can be dangerous but they are more dangerous when people get too comfortable around them and don't have the respect for them that they should. 

That's my nickels worth of an opinion since I am late to this thread.
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan

Johan

Why do I keep forgetting that there is absolutely no point to posting in gun threads on this forum? :wall:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: MarineWarrior on January 06, 2015, 03:02:50 PM
I'm not a gun owner yet but I know that someday I will inherit my Dad's guns and my grandfather's guns.  I'm OK with this but I'll be getting a much better safe than what my dad has right now.  My children, son is 4 and daughter is 2, are very young and it baffles me that someone would carry a gun that one of them could easily operate.  I don't even let my kids have toy guns but I did get them toy lightsabers.  I do my best not to expose my kids to violent programming on TV but my kids do love Spiderman and the Avengers cartoons.  Shitty parenting and irresponsible gun owners get more news coverage in todays 24 hour news cycle.

I never touched a gun until I joined the Marine Corps.  I was taught then to treat EVERY gun as if it were loaded, never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot, never shoot at anything you do not intend to kill, and keep you finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.  Safety is paramount but unfortunately most people don't follow these simple rules.  Marines even forget these rules and it results in accidental deaths because someone was messing around and not paying attention.  The first thing I do (as taught by the USMC) is visually inspect any gun handed to me to ensure it is unloaded.  If I am showing someone a technique that I was taught then I keep the gun pointed away from them and if possible have it remain showing that it is in fact still unloaded.  People are fearful enough of guns in my opinion.  I did two tours in Iraq and handled weapons everyday and everyday I was never truly comfortable around them.  Guns can be dangerous but they are more dangerous when people get too comfortable around them and don't have the respect for them that they should. 

Sounds right. I was taught to shoot by a Marine with one leg, gratis as he wanted someone to shoot with his son. I learned to respect firearms before I ever touched one.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

hrdlr110

Quote from: Johan on January 06, 2015, 07:29:11 PM
Why do I keep forgetting that there is absolutely no point to posting in gun threads on this forum? :wall:

I was expecting something more clever than this as a response. Difficult to argue against facts that don't support your position tho eh? I don't care to be around guns, and every single day of every single year there are incidents (way more than one) supporting my position.

hrdlr110

Quote from: MarineWarrior on January 06, 2015, 03:02:50 PM

Agreed!  Too familiar, too comfortable can lead to a dangerous lack of respect.

Johan

Quote from: hrdlr110 on January 06, 2015, 08:26:12 PM
Difficult to argue against facts that don't support your position tho eh?
Not difficult just pointless.

hrdlr110

I wouldn't say pointless. Since moving to Australia 14 years ago, I've softened my position on guns. I still hate them, but it's a slightly softer hate. Despite the gun laws here, there seems to be heaps of gun violence. But there isn't the same "you'll need to pry my gun from my cold dead hands" attitude that is common in the USA. It's rare for there to bea shooting by a "responsible" gun owner - mostly gang/biky related violence. I've yet to meet anybody here that owns a gun, talks of guns, or even cares about guns. I find that very refreshing. Culture here seems more relaxed to me as a result.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: hrdlr110 on January 06, 2015, 01:54:16 PM
Given the point I'm trying to make is that having guns around your home is more dangerous than not having guns around your home means that it actually does serve as proof.
Properly stored(unloaded and in a fire rated safe) a gun in the home is far less dangerous than you make it out to be. My homebrewing set up is more dangerous than my gun collection. My homebrewing set up could easily have bottle bombs(when the beer is bottled prior to fermentation being complete and the beer restarts fermenting when the priming sugar is added over carbonates the bottle and it explodes) go off and Id have 48 shrapnel bombs firing off glass shards with enough force to kill. Then there is the ever present threat of a vigorous fermentation and having my wife skin me alive for making a mess in the house.

Where as a collection of unloaded weapons in a safe only takes up space.

So tell me where is the danger in that?

QuoteAnd yep, still a head scratcher by him thinking that everybody would buy that a highly responsible gun owner could have people believe that it was an accident.

This is the part that does indeed raise the hand to the old head. Exactly how does one believe that a person following ALL gun safety precautions could have an "accident" involving the death of someone.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

hrdlr110

Indeed, space that could be used to house more exploding bottles of home brew! 

Moralnihilist

Quote from: hrdlr110 on January 06, 2015, 10:02:32 PM
Indeed, space that could be used to house more exploding bottles of home brew! 

They dont explode because of basic precautions that I take(that are common practice amongst homebrewers). The same levels of precautions are taken with guns. But like guns, if one does not adhere to those precautions accidents can and do happen. But a person who follows the same precautions without fail has little or no reason to fear of accidents.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.