News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Impeach Trump????

Started by fencerider, September 30, 2017, 11:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

QuotePresident Trump drew comparisons to George Orwell’s 1984 in an attack on the media during a speech at the Veterans of Foreign Wars national convention Tuesday.

In his address to the convention in Kansas City, Trump defended his decision to slap tariffs on the U.S.’s trading partners. As Trump told the crowd that “it’s all working out,” he warned those in the audience against believing what they see in the news.

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening,” Trump said.

For some, the quote immediately recalled a line from Orwell’s dystopian novel 1984: “The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

'What You're Seeing... Is Not What's Happening.' People Are Comparing This Trump Quote to George Orwell
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 25, 2018, 03:16:28 PM

'What You're Seeing... Is Not What's Happening.' People Are Comparing This Trump Quote to George Orwell

Of course.  And for good reason.  Trump isn't Big Brother.  But he might be the grandfather of Big Brother if we aren't careful. 

Ben Franklin once said that "we have given you a republic, if you can keep it".  That's the question now.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and it didn't fall in a day either.

Will a democracy republic last?  Ask the Greeks, Romans, French...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

The Orange Disaster Area on tape discussing paying off a model over an affair with his then-lawyer.  Y'know, after repeatedly denying knowing anything about it although he's already admitted reimbursing his lawyer for the payout.  No wonder he wants people to not believe their eyes and ears.

I'm having me a warm and fuzzy Watergate flashback, m'self.  Ah, tapes.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

For now they're playing tapes, I hope soon they'll be playing Taps.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on July 25, 2018, 03:36:38 PM
The Orange Disaster Area on tape discussing paying off a model over an affair with his then-lawyer.  Y'know, after repeatedly denying knowing anything about it although he's already admitted reimbursing his lawyer for the payout.  No wonder he wants people to not believe their eyes and ears.

I'm having me a warm and fuzzy Watergate flashback, m'self.  Ah, tapes.

MSNBC has been big on the Watergate comparisons lately.  But we had a Congress with stature and self-identity then.  They told Nixon to leave and he did.  Can you even IMAGINE Trump paying any attention to Congress now?  Trump will have to go kicking and screaming, dragged by his heels and he STILL might win in 2020 if the courts he has arranged allow it (and they will 5-4 all the way).

Unbeliever

Don't believe your lying eyes, believe your lying president.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 25, 2018, 03:54:23 PM
Don't believe your lying eyes, believer your lying president.

Well that's what Trump keeps saying. Are you suggesting his inflamed supporters will suddenly become analytical?

Unbeliever

No, just the first two syllables of that word...
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 25, 2018, 04:11:11 PM
No, just the first two syllables of that word...

You meant of course "in" and "flamed."  LOL!

I actually had to decide if "flamed" was one syllable or two...

Unbeliever

No, I meant the first two syllables of "analytical." :-P
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 25, 2018, 04:59:06 PM
No, I meant the first two syllables of "analytical." :-P

I know, I know, LOL!

Unbeliever

Now Trump's claiming that Russia will interfere in the mid-term elections - for the Democratic party!

He's just planting a seed in his base, so if the Dems do well they'll think Russia helped them.
God Not Found

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 25, 2018, 06:46:57 PM
Now Trump's claiming that Russia will interfere in the mid-term elections - for the Democratic party!
He would know all about that.  One wonders if he was told to say that by Putin.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Cut out the Middle Man.  I would vote directly for Putin myself.  He looks better without a shirt than Hillary or Donald.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.