News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Impeach Trump????

Started by fencerider, September 30, 2017, 11:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 08, 2019, 02:09:26 PM
Thanks for the correction, 2008 seems like yesterday...;-)

I would take 2008 all over again if I could change 2016...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 08, 2019, 02:18:57 PM

You are both showing your age.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Cavebear on August 08, 2019, 02:18:57 PM

Dow Jones: 6,590 (2008); Dow Jones: 17,900 (2016). I think I will go with the money. No offense intended... 

Cavebear

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 08, 2019, 03:13:20 PM
Dow Jones: 6,590 (2008); Dow Jones: 17,900 (2016). I think I will go with the money. No offense intended...

But I bought in at 8000 Dow and held to 24,500...  I'm regretting the early bail now, but I expect Trump still has time to dump it to 20,000  when I buy back in.  Meanwhile I'm making 3% per year.  I'll hold my cards, dealer, thank you...

I am reminded of the millionaire who said his Dad gave him some good advice.

Dad:  "Here's a million dollars, son, don't lose it".

I got mine on my own, but you get the idea.  You can't lose what you don't risk.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Cavebear on August 08, 2019, 03:40:57 PM
But I bought in at 8000 Dow and held to 24,500...  I'm regretting the early bail now, but I expect Trump still has time to dump it to 20,000  when I buy back in.  Meanwhile I'm making 3% per year.  I'll hold my cards, dealer, thank you...

I am reminded of the millionaire who said his Dad gave him some good advice.

Dad:  "Here's a million dollars, son, don't lose it".

I got mine on my own, but you get the idea.  You can't lose what you don't risk.

When the Dow tank in 2008, I was in China. I had to keep a lot of liquidity in order to keep up with the expenses, not that China was expensive, but when you travel, you just need more cash. When I came back, and cleared all expenses, I was able to get back in the market. So by chance I had sold before the crash, and bought some back at a cheaper price.

Cavebear

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 08, 2019, 03:47:10 PM
When the Dow tank in 2008, I was in China. I had to keep a lot of liquidity in order to keep up with the expenses, not that China was expensive, but when you travel, you just need more cash. When I came back, and cleared all expenses, I was able to get back in the market. So by chance I had sold before the crash, and bought some back at a cheaper price.

Life is sometimes kind that way.    The advisors say to never try to time the market.  And I don't.  But sometimes it just happens and you get lucky.  When the Dow hit bottom, I just wasn't fully invested so I had funds to dump in.  And now I do too.  So GO TRUMP!  Crush the market.  I'm waiting...

Baruch

How capitalist!  Making money when things go up, making money when things go down.  Our Marxist friends won't like that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 08, 2019, 04:17:57 PM
How capitalist!  Making money when things go up, making money when things go down.  Our Marxist friends won't like that.

It took me a while to realize the the stock market had nothing to do with the economy.  If the Vanguard US mid cap index fund goes up, it has no effect on employment at McDonalds or Google or NASA.  The same when it goes down.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 08, 2019, 04:44:56 PM
It took me a while to realize the the stock market had nothing to do with the economy.  If the Vanguard US mid cap index fund goes up, it has no effect on employment at McDonalds or Google or NASA.  The same when it goes down.

Correct.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

So the Dems are getting some backbone: Nadler has officially declared in court filings that there is a formal impeachment proceedings. On a legal level, it's the right thing to do. Politically, it's a huge gamble.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 09, 2019, 09:03:17 AM
So the Dems are getting some backbone: Nadler has officially declared in court filings that there is a formal impeachment proceedings. On a legal level, it's the right thing to do. Politically, it's a huge gamble.

Maybe.  Testosterone supplements?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 09, 2019, 09:03:17 AM

Yeah, but at this point anything they do is a political gamble.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

josephpalazzo

But which one is a higher risk? Impeachment or do nothing? On impeachment, you need to count on the GOP not to proceed in the senate. It then would be encumbered on the Dems to make the case that the GOP should be thrown out for dereliction of duty. Would the voters buy into that? Or do nothing until the election, hoping Trump is voted out. It comes down on voter turnout. We know Trump supporters are going to vote. But 40% of the electorate didn't vote in 2016. Which one - impeachment or do nothing - will galvanize the no-Trump crowd to vote? Political apathy is a constant occurrence in these elections. It's the spoiler that can give unpleasant surprises.

Unbeliever

Yeah, if the decision were up to me I'd be unable to sleep at night. All we can do is wait and see what happens. It'll be entertaining to watch either way.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 09, 2019, 02:04:43 PM
Yeah, but at this point anything they do is a political gamble.

They need to talk to the reps/senators from Nevada and NJ.  They understand gambling.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.