Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 24, 2021, 02:30:04 PM
I know it's cool in video games and movies to see a huge number of siege engines absolutely leveling part of a castle in like 30 seconds, but the reality is that there were 1-3 tops and they mostly just gave besieging archers a platform to rain arrows down on defending archers and/or punched small breaches in the walls.

Ramps, sappers and/or good old fashioned disease/starvation are the unsung heroes here.
I remember one scene in a movie (Hearts and Iron?) where the tre. flung a diseased horse corpse into the castle and it went down the well. Dumb lucky shot, but "I'd rather be lucky than good" stood me in good stead for decades.

How many tres did Legolas command in the Holy Lands?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 24, 2021, 05:39:25 PM
I remember one scene in a movie (Hearts and Iron?) where the tre. flung a diseased horse corpse into the castle and it went down the well. Dumb lucky shot, but "I'd rather be lucky than good" stood me in good stead for decades.
The Mongols famously did that once.  Not sure if anyone else tried it.  Probably did it in less exotic ways, like poisoning the wells or deliberately herding sick livestock/people towards the castle.

Hydra009

Also, I damage myself when I attack.  Not sure if that's a class feature or legit curse.

trdsf

I put up window film for three reasons: to cut down on the ambient light and lower my AC usage, to amuse my cat, and to stop the birds I feed on the outside sill from being freaked out by the amused cat.  Two of those three are in evidence here:

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Hydra009

drunkenshoe

That reminds Cad Goddeu...may be even taken from there. Battle of Trees. No elves involved though.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

That's Shin Godzilla in one of his phases.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

LOL I haven't seen it. I didn't even know it existed till your post. Is it good?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 28, 2021, 08:56:53 AMLOL I haven't seen it. I didn't even know it existed till your post. Is it good?
Yes.  It didn't blow me away, but I enjoyed it.  A very grounded, realistic setting.  And Godzilla's progressive transformations are somewhat disturbing.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 28, 2021, 10:03:54 AM
Yes.  It didn't blow me away, but I enjoyed it.  A very grounded, realistic setting.  And Godzilla's progressive transformations are somewhat disturbing.
It was an allegory for the Japanese government's handling of the Fukushima disaster. Government change every few days/hours/minutes, each with "the plan" for dealing. Ultimately they just shoot the shit out of it and hope.
PZ Myers