News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheist Books

Started by DavidQuinn, December 27, 2013, 11:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidQuinn

Hi there, i love reading original takes on the subject of atheism/religion. Being a bit of a sci-fi buff i recently checked out a series of books called The Chronicles Of Hope (they've been causing a bit of a fuss in the UK and have been pushed by Dawkins among others). It's actually not that sci-fi and features an atheist revolutionary politician. I thoroughly recommend you check it out, the first chapter is free on the website (http://www.thechroniclesofhope.com) and contains a speech on religion that's just genius in denouncing it.

Having finished that book does anyone have anymore atheist book recommendations? I've read a lot of dawkins/sam harris but atheism within a fiction spectrum fascinates me

Thanks

Solitary

:-D Welcome aboard David Quinn! Thanks for the info! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mister Agenda

Welcome, David, thanks for the recommendation!
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Satt

Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"We\'re a bunch of twats on the internet. We can\'t help you. You should see a psychologist.

DavidQuinn

Hi all, love the simplicity of this quote!

Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Jason78

Quote from: "DavidQuinn"Having finished that book does anyone have anymore atheist book recommendations?

It's not exactly an atheist book.  The Science of Discworld by Terry Pratchett is awesome.   Even if you've not read any of the Discworld series.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Sal1981

I've pretty much seen everything Star Trek, even quite a bit of fan made stuff.

Hi.

DavidQuinn

Cheers Jason78, had that recommended to me by others as well so will get into the whole series in the new year i think. The Chronicles of hope book wasn't atheist no i get what you're saying, but should be interesting to follow it as hopefully he'll become an atheist prime minister so should be good to see how that's handled

stromboli

"God, No!" By Penn Gillette. Good book.

PickelledEggs

God no is great. I downloaded the audio book and it was awesome having Penn Jillette narrate it

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

curious_honesty

I love A.C. Grayling.  "The God Argument: the Case Against Religion and For Humanism" is really thoughtful and easy to follow.  
"50 Simple Questions for Every Christian" is also great.  Can't remember the author, though.
Hope that helps :)

JJRambo

god Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything - Christopher Hitchens

as far as fiction/fantasy, I haven't read it, but from what I've heard Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy has an anti-religious/atheistic central theme to it. I remember some of the religious bitching about it when Hollywood adapted The Golden Compass novel into a movie a few years back.