News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I read on my science feed that 20% of people who get the virus develope mental health issues within 90 days. Trump already has mental health issues, so how would we be able to tell?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 14, 2020, 02:49:02 AMThey want to see a movie scene. That, corpses everywhere in an empty street scene. It's insane. It's like the facts, information, all the scientific development, modern medicine is drowned by that little Hollywood frame.

It is like their imagination is too developed at the wrong ends and nothing in between, it is just filled with paddle material in there, if that makes sense. Similar to the creationists and flat earthers.
Same with climate change denialists.  I swear, they'd only concede that something is up when we have sauna-like temperatures outside and/or the worldwide absence of snow.  (far, far too late)  For them, it's either hell on earth or everything's a-okay, no in-betweens.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 14, 2020, 05:45:44 PM
Same with climate change denialists.  I swear, they'd only concede that something is up when we have sauna-like temperatures outside and/or the worldwide absence of snow.  (far, far too late)  For them, it's either hell on earth or everything's a-okay, no in-betweens.

Climate does change.  Fortunately killing all car use etc will fix it.  And will get rid of billions of unnecessary people.  You can't serve two masters ... you can love nature and hate man or love man and hate nature.  Both are fatal of course.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Utah experiencing covid surge, hospitals nearly overwhelmed

QuoteCoronavirus records in Utah are being broken at an alarming rate, officials said. The state broke it’s seven day case average with over 3,800 cases reported Thursday. The last record was November 5.

The records in Utah come as the state is also running out of hospital beds, according to Greg Bell, the president of the Utah Hospital Association.

“We’re right on that line where we’re effectively full,” Bell said Thursday during a press conference with Utah Gov. Gary Herbert.

Protestors gather at Utah Governor's house to protest mask mandate

In other news:  sheep protest the guard dog, say wolf is fake news

Blackleaf

The latest bit of stupidity I see spreading on Facebook...

Umm... Because the first number is saving lives, and the second is destroying them?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 14, 2020, 01:56:31 PM
I read on my science feed that 20% of people who get the virus develope mental health issues within 90 days. Trump already has mental health issues, so how would we be able to tell?
He'd become coherent?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Blackleaf

Quote from: trdsf on November 16, 2020, 02:06:33 AM
He'd become coherent?

Reminds me of those cartoons where someone hits their heads and becomes smarter. When your intelligence level is already at the floor, there's nowhere to go but up! lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 16, 2020, 02:06:04 AM
Umm... Because the first number is saving lives, and the second is destroying them?

I think that idiot means 'there is no pandemic at all' in a nutshell. Seriously, I keep looking at it and can't get her reception of the situation.   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Should we have a Covid-19 Vaccine Development thread? I have difficulty discerning the news. Or probably because I'm paranoid about news vendors here.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 16, 2020, 02:06:04 AM

I can't make sense of what she is saying.  Who's not OK with a 99% survival rate?  Is she saying that until there's a vaccine that works 100% of the time, we should not develop a vaccine that works 90% of the time?  I'd prefer 100%, sure, but until I can get it, I'll happily take the 90%.

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 16, 2020, 03:02:33 AM
I have difficulty discerning the news. Or probably because I'm paranoid about news vendors here.
We actually haven't had much news.  For a long time, all we knew was that several vendors were working on one.  Now we are being told Phizer is getting close to producing a vaccine.  Phizer was the first, so it stole the headlines.  Apparently others are close behind, but we don't know much about them or their efficacy.  Others might be better (or worse than 90%). I read somewhere that the government has agreed to buy millions of doses of vaccine, but I don't think which the vendor was specified.  I think it's too early for the government to make a trillion dollar commitment to a company at this point.  I suspect, the chosen company will be the one Trump owns stock in.  If in fact a deal has been struck, it seems way to early at this point.  Trump will obviously take whatever he can get, whether it's an effective vaccine or Gerber's apple flavored juice in a syringe.  Ordinary cleaning products might be acceptable also.

SGOS

Quote from: SGOS on November 16, 2020, 06:11:54 AM
We actually haven't had much news.  For a long time, all we knew was that several vendors were working on one.  Now we are being told Phizer is getting close to producing a vaccine.  Phizer was the first, so it stole the headlines.  Apparently others are close behind, but we don't know much about them or their efficacy.  Others might be better (or worse than 90%). I read somewhere that the government has agreed to buy millions of doses of vaccine, but I don't think which vendor was specified.  I think it's too early for the government to make a trillion dollar commitment to a company at this point.  I suspect the chosen company will be the one Trump owns stock in.  If in fact a deal has been struck, it seems way to early at this point.  Trump will obviously take whatever he can get, whether it's an effective vaccine or Gerber's apple flavored juice in a syringe.  Ordinary cleaning products might be acceptable also.

SGOS

The New York Times

BREAKING NEWS
Moderna says early data show its vaccine is 94.5% effective in preventing Covid-19, joining Pfizer as a leader in the race to end the pandemic.

drunkenshoe

That's the thing that worries me. Who got the news first thing. I've only seen Pfizer-BioNtech articles yet probably because Pfizer is an American company and BioNtech founders are Turkish-German. Moderna has just dropped as you posted with 95 %. Now another one coming in with 'no no ours is 97%', 'hey we have 98%'?

We don't have any real idea what has been going on. No other names? How many works have been going on?

SGOS

As only an observer of the experts, it seems to me that our best defenses against the pandemic currently are 1)distancing 2)mask wearing 3)closing bars, restaurants, and schools.  Generally, across the county we have failed at these.  Trump deserves a lot of blame for sure, but what will Biden do that Trump has not done?  Biden cannot wave wands or implore magical thinking, but he can do one or all of the big three above.  I think I know what he should do, but is this even politically realistic?  If he says, "OK, everyone must wear a mask," it's not going to happen because of ignorance, magical thinking, politically motivated resistance from about half the population, and maybe half of the police force will refuse to enforce it if it became a mandate, anyway.  Then Trumpers will say with satisfaction, "See, Biden can't stop the pandemic.  Biden fails!"  The country is not going to change it's opinions about the pandemic because we have a new president.  There is too much ideologically at stake to expect compliance.  If Trump would have said, "Wear a mask," everyone would have worn a mask, but now a line has been drawn in the sand.  It's not so much about national health as it is Republicans vs Democrats and ignorance vs medical science.

It will be interesting to see what Biden comes up with, but this is one of those problems that the resurrected Jesus couldn't fix.  He would be labeled the false profit and cursed.  If Biden does come up with something that works and people comply, I'll be fucking amazed.