Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 01, 2020, 06:51:47 PM
It's a different story than the first, but it has the same vibe.
Yeah, not recapitulating the original is good. On my list. T/Y
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 01, 2020, 06:04:43 PM
What would movies look like without CGI these days? "Ten Commandments"? That Red Sea parting was soooo realistic.

movies did fine without cgi for a long time. CGI can be good when used right and make some really nice designs when used creatively, for example the movie Klaus, or the toy story franchise.
But in using cgi for everything and forgoing things like practical effects, movies lost a visceral quality they use to have.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 01, 2020, 10:42:24 PM
LOL

Show me where the cgi was in Shawshank redemption, or green mile, or citizen Kane, or Schindler's list.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 01, 2020, 06:04:43 PM
What would movies look like without CGI these days? "Ten Commandments"? That Red Sea parting was soooo realistic.
I always assumed that people really got shot or stabbed before CGI.  That and the backgrounds to literally every shot were matt paintings.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on January 01, 2020, 10:57:43 PM
Show me where the cgi was in Shawshank redemption, or green mile, or citizen Kane, or Schindler's list.
Why would I need to do that?
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 01, 2020, 11:25:56 PM
I always assumed that people really got shot or stabbed before CGI.  That and the backgrounds to literally every shot were matt paintings.
I guess the Parting of the Red Sea is something nobody these days recalls.
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 02, 2020, 05:39:01 AM
I guess the Parting of the Red Sea is something nobody these days recalls.

Sooo because some old movies used paintings as backgrounds there's been nothing between those times and today's green screen effects that compared?

SGOS

If the Red Sea could actually part, Hollywood could make it happen.  It's just cheaper to use CGI.  I think the Red Sea did actually part once around 5,400 years ago.  Who would lie about such a thing?

Munch

Cgi has its place, but if someone decides instead of creating a realistic set piece with models and buildings and houses, and instead just makes it all in green screen cgi, then of course it won't have the same visceral feel to a real location.

SGOS

Little Women

Well received by critics, but I walked out half way through.  Maybe it's a chick flick.  In reality, I rather like women.  I just didn't like those women.  Maybe there was some sort of redemption at the end.  I hope so.  I just couldn't last that long.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on January 02, 2020, 06:08:44 AM
Sooo because some old movies used paintings as backgrounds there's been nothing between those times and today's green screen effects that compared?

My Rule of So says that when a response begins with "So" (or "Sooo") the response should be checked for strawman arguments.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on January 02, 2020, 07:15:04 AM
Cgi has its place, but if someone decides instead of creating a realistic set piece with models and buildings and houses, and instead just makes it all in green screen cgi, then of course it won't have the same visceral feel to a real location.
I agree. Bad CGI is as bad as poor modeling.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Badland

I rented this at the box.  Take the first 10 cowboy movie cliche's you think of and try to make a serious movie out of it.  Be prepared for more cliche's because someone must have cataloged all there were to make this film.  Sometimes I laughed.  Other times I was embarrassed.  I was embarrassed for the actors who were directed to perform the cliche's while trying to be serious.  It's so bad, it's worth watching.  Well, maybe not.  Do you like really bad films?  Is there a Bad Movies Genre?  You could drink a shot every time you spot a cliche'.  You would blackout after 30 minutes.

Gawdzilla Sama

Have you seen "Cowboys vs. Zombies"?
PZ Myers