Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 02, 2019, 10:34:12 AM
She was the one who got the ball rolling and conflicts started, but that's pretty much it
So far.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Hereditary. Naah.

It started good and I thought oh it is about real things in disguise of supernatural. Or may be because I was looking for something so metaphorically realistic because I was told that it was very good for a few times, so the ending seemed so made up. Nope.

[spoiler]Apperantly, the entity in the movie is some sort of an evil god thing, people actually worship in real life, in what they call the occult and that is why it is supposed to be good? I have no idea. You get no idea of any entity or a cult until past the half of the movie. Actors are good, it is sutble than most movies that's good. However, it's a failure. It doesn't include any scary scenes either, nothing we haven't seen before. [/spoiler]
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 03, 2019, 01:49:12 PM
Hereditary. Naah.

It started good and I thought oh it is about real things in disguise of supernatural. Or may be because I was looking for something so metaphorically realistic because I was told that it was very good for a few times, so the ending seemed so made up. Nope.

[spoiler]Apperantly, the entity in the movie is some sort of an evil god thing, people actually worship in real life, in what they call the occult and that is why it is supposed to be good? I have no idea. You get no idea of any entity or a cult until past the half of the movie. Actors are good, it is sutble than most movies that's good. However, it's a failure. It doesn't include any scary scenes either, nothing we haven't seen before. [/spoiler]

I kind of agree in some of what you said.

[spoiler]The first half of the movie has strong elements of a more psychological tone, eerie character inactions, the bizarre and freaky mannerisms of the daughter, and the other family members, it gave it an unsettling tone. And that scene of what happens to the daughter and what follows still lingers with me.
If the movie kept to this kind of tone and made it just about this family coming undone by the events, it could have been an amazing psychological horror.

But the cult and possession part and the evil god needing a perfect host and floating headless corpses, the tone shift, the only reason that stuff might have been scary was because what came before was so unsettling.

That said, you could look at the movie as before and after the daughters death, going between the psychological to the supernatural, as a transition from a regular but messed up life, to that of the son breaking down and nothing making sense there after his sister's death?

[/spoiler]

Saying all this, what kind of supernatural horrors have you enjoyed ?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

I agree. I stopped watching them long time ago, they are all the same. Nothing interesting. Every time people go 'this one is good' something like this happens. Or may be I have just don't like horror anymore.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

JOKER 1🤡/1🤡

I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!

Munch

Been hearing some good reviews of Joker, might go see it

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on October 03, 2019, 10:22:36 PM
Been hearing some good reviews of Joker, might go see it
You absolutely should.  Hell, I'm probably going to go again.

I seriously think Heath Ledger may have been topped.  And I don't say that lightly.

Nothing against Heath, he was absolutely excellent for the screentime he had.  But this one not only has Mr J in close focus, but him running the whole gamut of emotions and directing that leaves just enough to the imagination.  Just phenomenal work.

I know there's kind of a slow start, but trust me, there's one hell of a payoff.  Jeez louise, is there a payoff.  If this movie doesn't win a ton of awards, I'm gonna go nuts!

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 03, 2019, 10:36:27 PM

I seriously think Heath Ledger may have been topped.  And I don't say that lightly.

That's actually good news. But I don't think the roles are comparable.

Munch

Well least we can erase that horrible Jared Leto joker from our minds

drunkenshoe

I have never seen him as one, lol. I just liked the girl. But that joker had to be bad to balance if you ask me.

Joker is the villian with the most gravity in that universe. If you put a solid, Joker like Joker in there the whole thing would go out of balance.

Munch

Gawdzilla Sama

Harley Quinn was just a way to get more boobies into the comics.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 04, 2019, 07:46:28 AM
Harley Quinn was just a way to get more boobies into the comics.

Well actually she begun in batman the animated series and was so popular she transferred to the comics and other media

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on October 04, 2019, 08:04:33 AM
Well actually she begun in batman the animated series and was so popular she transferred to the comics and other media
Mere detail.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on October 04, 2019, 04:17:35 AM
Well least we can erase that horrible Jared Leto joker from our minds
Until Birds of Prey :P